Checking a walker or rollator

I have in my mind that I read somewhere on the forumsthat you could check a walker or rollator by putting one of your luggage tagson it and leaving it with your bags at the port and they would deliver it toyour cabin. Is this correct? At the time I read this it was not applicableto me so I didn’t focus on it. My planis to take my scooter onto the ship, but I would use the walker or rollator forshort walks, around the cabin, etc.

Thoughts on checking either the walker or rollator? Thanks.

I have in my mind that I read somewhere on the forumsthat you could check a walker or rollator by putting one of your luggage tagson it and leaving it with your bags at the port and they would deliver it toyour cabin. Is this correct? At the time I read this it was not applicableto me so I didn’t focus on it. My planis to take my scooter onto the ship, but I would use the walker or rollator forshort walks, around the cabin, etc.

Thoughts on checking either the walker or rollator? Thanks.

You certainly have the option to check it at the port but do so at your own risk.. However it's important to note that there is no special handling of walkers at the port. It will just get loaded into the same bins as luggage and there's no guarantee it will arrive in your room undamaged. Also the cruise ship will not have one to loan to you if yours is damaged.

If using wheelchair assistant at the port I just fold mine up and hold it. If bringing my scooter I bungee cord it to the back of the seat and just ride on board.

Edited by xxoocruiser

DH normally rides his scooter onto the ship and I push his rollator (carrying our carry-ons).

This is almost exactly what we do except DH is being pushed by one of the employees in the ship's wheelchair (available for embarking and disembarking) and I push his rollator, which is carrying our carry-ons. That way his rollator will always be available, especially after the wheelchair attendant leaves and takes the wheelchair with him/her.

• 3 weeks later...

My husband uses a scooter and brings his rollator. We fold it up and I put a strap around it. We check it with our luggage at the airport, and also send it onto the ship with our luggage. No damage has been done.

Jane

This is almost exactly what we do except DH is being pushed by one of the employees in the ship's wheelchair (available for embarking and disembarking) and I push his rollator, which is carrying our carry-ons. That way his rollator will always be available, especially after the wheelchair attendant leaves and takes the wheelchair with him/her.

Same here, but I always rent my scooter from Special Needs at Sea.