Victoria at night

My cruise docks in Victoria from 7:30pm until midnight. Despite my research I can't find much to do during this time in the port. Are the shops open? I am traveling with a teen so bar crawls , etc do not interest us. Wondering if it's worth it to skip late dinner on the ship and eat somewhere on shore. Of course, it's a visit to Canada so we do want to at least get off and say we did. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Your teen may be interested in bar crawls - drinking age 19 here...;-)

On a Monday relatively early in the season I can't think of much except some shops that might be open, other than pubs/restos. Parliament definitely closed, Royal BC Museum may have evening IMAX screenings but collections will be shut (weekends they open late in summer, but not Mondays), and all the gardens/historic houses etc. will be shuttered too unless the cruise has arranged a Butchart special (no entries after 6pm to the public).

Just walking around Victoria at night is very nice though - especially down at the inner harbour. Lots of lit-up buildings after dark (sunset ~9pm), or Beacon Hill park is easily walkable from the pier before dark too.

Just get off the ship and walk into town, it's absolutely gorgeous. We have lots of old buildings, an interesting China Town, many many very good restaurants. No end of things to see. We also have a street full of tacky tourist shops and they'll be open. The horse carriages will be out as well. Please come and enjoy our city, we are very proud of it.

Please do me a personal favour (with a "u" :D ) and get thee to Rogers Chocolates on Government Street. The Victoria Creams are to die for and it is something that you shouldn't pass up if you even remotely like chocolate. When we were there on a cruise stop two years ago in May, they were open past 9 pm, so I know they will be open for you in June.

https://www.rogerschocolates.com/

Please do me a personal favour (with a "u" :D ) and get thee to Rogers Chocolates on Government Street. The Victoria Creams are to die for and it is something that you shouldn't pass up if you even remotely like chocolate. When we were there on a cruise stop two years ago in May, they were open past 9 pm, so I know they will be open for you in June.

https://www.rogerschocolates.com/

Skip Rogers and go to Bernard Callebaut, much better chocolate. I'm just not a fan of the Victorian creams, we have a Rogers location across from work and shudder when the creams show up! But still worth a try if you haven't.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Skip Rogers and go to Bernard Callebaut, much better chocolate. I'm just not a fan of the Victorian creams...

Well, thanks for the alternative.

Update to this conversation: spent a few days in Victoria recently and tried Callebaut chocolates. We found the store and bought 3 of their small assorted chocolates (milk chocolate strawberry, dark chocolate coffee, dark chocolate rum). They were not good. Sorry. No flavour, small pieces, huge price. Later in our trip we purchased 6 Victoria Creams from Rogers. Incredible. :hearteyes:

I'm sorry you don't like Rogers and certainly everyone has an opinion. I just came back to state mine, after trying your recommendation. :)

Update to this conversation: spent a few days in Victoria recently and tried Callebaut chocolates. We found the store and bought 3 of their small assorted chocolates (milk chocolate strawberry, dark chocolate coffee, dark chocolate rum). They were not good. Sorry. No flavour, small pieces, huge price. Later in our trip we purchased 6 Victoria Creams from Rogers. Incredible. :hearteyes:

I'm sorry you don't like Rogers and certainly everyone has an opinion. I just came back to state mine, after trying your recommendation. :)

Agreed!! Everyone's entitled to their own opinions (Although I wonder sometimes on these boards if some people understand that LOL :');p) I will agree I love the Rogers Chocolates! mmmmm Can't wait until my ship stops there lol

• 1 month later...
Just get off the ship and walk into town, it's absolutely gorgeous. We have lots of old buildings, an interesting China Town, many many very good restaurants. No end of things to see. We also have a street full of tacky tourist shops and they'll be open. The horse carriages will be out as well. Please come and enjoy our city, we are very proud of it.

Do you know how much the horse & carriage rides are? That sounds like a nice option.

I'm glad you got your Rogers and enjoyed them! Truth be told, I eat far more Rogers than any other chocolate as we have a shop half a block from our office, patients bring them as a gift. It's chocolate therefore I'm still going to eat them!

Cheers

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the information. Can these be bought when you get off the ship or should they be purchased in advance?

The carriage tours are usually waiting for prospective passengers on the streets near the Parliament Building and Royal B.C. Museum, at the foot of the inner harbor. There is more than one tour company, the two most advertised are Victoria Carriage Tours and Tally-Ho. In recent years Tally-Ho has appeared to have more carriages waiting for walk-up passengers. Both tour companies offer a variety of tours and varied pricing, with reservations available through their websites.

We used the tour for a leisurely view of stately homes and parks with our elderly and not very mobile mother. It was the highlight of her cruise.

I'm glad you got your Rogers and enjoyed them!

We live on the lower Mainland and are actually finding them more and more over here. There are six Rogers stores on this side, several independent candy stores in my area which carry the Victoria creams, Thrifty Foods has them, and of all places, I found them on BC Ferries! :hearteyes: Me happy.

What is the name of the street full of tacky tourist shops?? Thx!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums