Bring car seats from home for toddlers?

DukeBlueDevil

Hey!

We are going on a cruise on the Disney Fantasy in October with our 2 year old twins, and I was wondering what families did with small children on excursions. Do we bring our toddler car seats from home to be used for travel on each island?

Thank you!

Hey!

We are going on a cruise on the Disney Fantasy in October with our 2 year old twins, and I was wondering what families did with small children on excursions. Do we bring our toddler car seats from home to be used for travel on each island?

Thank you!

You hold them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey!

Thank you!

As noted, you'll most likely wind up holding them. You'll find (unlike the US) there are no car seat requirements in most foreign ports. Indeed, sometimes cars/taxis don't even have seatbelts.

There are several issues....first, whether you issue is compliance with local laws or the level of child safety normally practiced in the US. In most foreign ports, there are no seat belt laws. In vehicles with seat belts, it is highly likely that your car seats won't fit, or certainly won't fit correctly. Bus transportation is not required to have car seats. No, most people do not bring car seats on the ship. You each hold a child in your lap and hope there is not an accident. If you feel that you cannot transport a child safely without a car seat, most ports have activities within walking distance that you can enjoy.

• 4 weeks later...

My kids are older now, but when they were little, i used to hire a private company from Orlando to Port (they provide car seats for free) - 1.15 hour drive. I've never seen people taking car seats with them on the cruise. You can just hold them. No car seat required. Even in Florida you do not have to use one in a commercial vehicle.

My kids are older now, but when they were little, i used to hire a private company from Orlando to Port (they provide car seats for free) - 1.15 hour drive. I've never seen people taking car seats with them on the cruise. You can just hold them. No car seat required. Even in Florida you do not have to use one in a commercial vehicle.

Not entirely true. They must be used in cabs and van style shuttles.

Are your boys big enough for the booster style car seats? We took those for our twin boys on our last cruise to use both in the Florida rental to the port and for an excursion we had planned. We have the ones that are just a seat with little arm rests. Those arm rests looped through the straps of their backpacks (our kids are older and I make them each carry their own bag with their stuffed animals & change of clothes). The seats hung down over their behinds, between the backpacks and their backs ... If you can picture that. It worked beautifully - we just stuffed the seats in the overhead on the plane and under a bed on the ship ... But we had them when we needed them, because I personally can't forget everything I know about car safety just because we're in a place without strict laws. Enjoy your vacation!

• 6 months later...
Not entirely true. They must be used in cabs and van style shuttles.

I did my research at that time. I even called Florida Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles office .

From the document they provided: "The child restraint requirements imposed by this section do not apply to a chauffeur-driven taxi, limousine, sedan, van, bus, motor coach, or other passenger vehicle if the operator and the motor vehicle are hired and used for the transportation of persons for compensation."