Lanky Lad and Host Hattie

Jack E Dawson

LL and HH

Would appreciate your thoughts and strategies for booking cruises on Cunard (Price, Destinations, Ship, Class).

My wife and I took our first ever cruise this past May (QM2 TA E-W) and would like to take more in the future. CruiseCritic was a huge help and in particular have enjoyed and benefited from your insightful posts.

Thanks

Harold

When and what are the best deals? Relocation cruises can be a good bet if you don't mind flying one way, our best bargain was probably last years return from Rome in QG, we booked in August for a November sailing.

Is there a specific cruise you like? All of them, we've done longish ones (21 nights), short ones (2 nights). Generally we look for a nice mix of sea and port days and new ports.

Which is your favorite ship? I like QV, my husband's favourite is QM2, I'm sure we'd like QE if we'd been on her more than once.

Which Class do you usually book? We've been in QG and PG 3 times each, Britannia Club once & one booked and Britannia the rest of the time.

If there is a cruise I really want to go on - e.g QM2 for the 175th celebrations in Liverpool or New Year on QV I book early, otherwise I just tend to keep an eye for an itinerary that we like the look of at a reasonable price at a time we want to go.

Hope this helps a bit

Thanks, this is great information. Was a bit surprised about QV vs QM2 for you. This opens things up a bit.

We are looking forward to doing our second voyage. Not sure when but definitely on Cunard.

It would be easy to repeat the first trip since we had such a good time but don't want to get in a rut. Your advice gives us a better understanding and more confidence to expand our horizons.

Thanks again

Harold

QV is easier to navigate around and I'm not a fan of the sheltered balconies of the QM2. I would choose QM2 for a TA or where there is a chance of poor weather, QE & QV are better suited to cruises with lots of ports.

All my personal opinions of course and others will disagree.

Enjoy choosing your next cruise

QV is easier to navigate around and I'm not a fan of the sheltered balconies of the QM2. I would choose QM2 for a TA or where there is a chance of poor weather, QE & QV are better suited to cruises with lots of ports.

All my personal opinions of course and others will disagree.

Enjoy choosing your next cruise

Can I ask you you why you are not a big fan of the sheltered balconies on QM2?

The reason I ask is we will be traveling home to the UK on the QM2 hopefully before Christmas. We are waiting for our house to sell so we can make the move back "home". Chances are we won't get much choice of stateroom unless we win the lottery :D Most of the ones available (and we can afford) on the crossings for the end of the year are sheltered balcony.

Thanks.

Please excuse me for interrupting this thread but to Windsurferfirst, I think Host Hattie has hit the nail on the head about sheltered balconies. We have had both glass and sheltered on QM2 in the past and we find the larger sheltered balconies very useful for later transatlantic crossings when the weather isn't always as clement as other cruises. Having a sheltered we can still sit out and enjoy a drink without feeling too windswept. Likewise as Hattie suggests we have also found glass balconies better for the Caribbean etc, all very subjective of course. .

Just to add, I'm based in the UK so a good deal for me might involve ridiculous amounts of flying from elsewhere.

We are lucky that for most of the year at least 2 of the Cunard ships are sailing from Southampton, a few hours drive away.

Don't let me put you off, lots of people love them and for a winter crossing they are fine. We usually cruise rather than cross and I prefer normal balconies.

Please excuse me for interrupting this thread but to Windsurferfirst, I think Host Hattie has hit the nail on the head about sheltered balconies. We have had both glass and sheltered on QM2 in the past and we find the larger sheltered balconies very useful for later transatlantic crossings when the weather isn't always as clement as other cruises. Having a sheltered we can still sit out and enjoy a drink without feeling too windswept. Likewise as Hattie suggests we have also found glass balconies better for the Caribbean etc, all very subjective of course. .

Thank you both I appreciate your prospective. I also thought that a sheltered balcony may be OK for a end of year crossing but as you suggest not so good for a Caribbean cruise.

I appreciate your experience and sharing it with me.

Thanks.