Photobucket changes

LA_CA_GAL

<about CC>
CC has been operating a long time and the admins have a lot of experience with what goes wrong when you don't keep things locked down. If it was a major profit center generating windfall profits and this had a major depressive impact on revenues, then maybe it would be worth the time and effort for techs to research every specific request to have the system do things differently, but as it is it is probably prudent to offer the forums as they are, and not entertain recommendations to open things up from us members.

Well...okay. It's just a site to upload your images, one can't really "cause problems" more than another one as long as the images people choose to upload aren't rule-breaking.
So, you answered your own question.

With Photobucket functionally useless and Imgur and Gyazo not allowed by the forum, I am kind of grasping for alternatives over here.
May I suggest you check into Flickr?

:)

Here's the thing though...you can upload rule-breaking images to Photobucket and Flickr. The site that you upload them to has zero impact on whether or not you are capable of doing that. No image host has in its terms of service "by the way, uploading images that are against cruisecritic.com's forum rules isn't allowed." So...no, it actually doesn't answer my question in the slightest because there's no "problem" created in Imgur and Gyazo that couldn't be created in Photobucket or Flickr.

As for the admin thing...I have been an admin of my own site for several years now, and I can say with confidence that image hosts do not create problems. That just...isn't even a concept that makes sense. Users create problems, and they create them when they choose to break the rules—they can choose to break them using Photobucket or Imgur as their conduit and it doesn't make a lick of difference.

By default, a forum does not discriminate against image hosts. That is something that needs to be specifically implemented. Imgur and Gyazo are specifically being blocked by this forum. There must be a reason for that, and so far no one has provided a clear or rational explanation as to why that is. But if you have a reason other than "Papa CC knows best," I'm all ears.

Well, I'm not having any problems with Shutterfly. I had a host of albums there because I originally was with Kodak Photo Gallery for storage, plus Photobucket. When Kodak closed down, they sent all our photos to Shutterfly. I didn't use it because I couldn't figure out how to post from there, but someone here told me how, and now it works well. And it is free. I also have a free Flickr account that I occasionally used when Photobucket was down for maintenance, or whatever. PB kept 'upgrading', or changing their website, and it always seemed to make it more difficult to use. EM

Here's the thing though...you can upload rule-breaking images to Photobucket and Flickr.
You're missing the point. Flickr is obviously a known entity to CC and they're willing to leave that open.

As for the admin thing...I have been an admin of my own site for several years now, and I can say with confidence that XXXX
Perhaps you should stop here, because you've just violated the T&Cs of this website.

You're missing the point. Flickr is obviously a known entity to CC and they're willing to leave that open.

Perhaps you should stop here, because you've just violated the T&Cs of this website.

What part of the T&C did they violate?

Discussion of our management policies and procedures ... is considered off-topic discussion for our cruise boards ...
Since your comments have gone over a line that I won't cross in deference to the moderators of the forum, I won't participate in the discussion about that any further.

Lol, ok. This is literally a discussion about alternative image hosts to Photobucket, so I am completely on-topic. What you're quoting—conveniently, the parts that you didn't paste in—is specifically about discussing the banning of users/removal of posts/locking of topics/etc. There's a reason why there was a huge discussion thread about the changes to the forum style and signatures that lasted for weeks, and that's because it wasn't against the rules.

I emailed CC about allowing a couple of additional image hosts that currently get auto-blocked, and I...sort of got given the runaround? She mostly focused on why I wasn't using Flickr (because that's not what I asked about?) and sort of gave a vague response about how some image hosts "gave them serious problems in the past". Well...okay. It's just a site to upload your images, one can't really "cause problems" more than another one as long as the images people choose to upload aren't rule-breaking.

I asked for some clarification but didn't get a response. I really am not a fan of Flickr and I'm not going out of my way to make an account on there just for one site. With Photobucket functionally useless and Imgur and Gyazo not allowed by the forum, I am kind of grasping for alternatives over here.

I am using SmugMug now and so far I am happy with SmugMug. I have the basic plan which gives me unlimited storage and unlimited third party linking. However, SmugMug has no free option. My plan is $48 per year.

Maybe put a note in your signature to the location of new photos ..it will not help for individual one you have posted but if you have albums for each cruise it may help

just a thought

I also use Smug mug it is not free but works fine for my needs

See post # 47.

You continue to amaze me.

I am using SmugMug now and so far I am happy with SmugMug. I have the basic plan which gives me unlimited storage and unlimited third party linking. However, SmugMug has no free option. My plan is $48 per year.

I'm not paying for image hosting when there are so many good free alternatives. And if I did want to use any host's premium features, it would be Imgur since that's what I use heavily on every site on the internet except Cruise Critic.

I'm not paying for image hosting when there are so many good free alternatives. And if I did want to use any host's premium features, it would be Imgur since that's what I use heavily on every site on the internet except Cruise Critic.

I didn't tell you to use SmugMug nor did I suggest you use SmugMug. I said that I was happy with SmugMug and that it has no free option. I was paying for Photobucket also because I needed more bandwidth than the free option allows.

I am sure that there are plenty of free options available. However, I found a photo hosting site that meets my needs for a reasonable price and I am happy with SmugMug so far.

You have sites that you favor, but they don't meet your needs for Cruise Critic. Thanks to Photobucket, you now seem to have found yourself in a position where not all of your needs are being met. I sure hope you find a solution to this rather challenging issue. I found mine.

I wasn't being hostile in my response, I just figured you were making the suggestion to me specifically since you quoted me in your response, so I was just explaining why your suggestion doesn't really work for me.

I wasn't being hostile in my response, I just figured you were making the suggestion to me specifically since you quoted me in your response, so I was just explaining why your suggestion doesn't really work for me.

Okay.

• 3 months later...