Passport question

Dinkle

Yes, I understand that and I can see where the coworkers might have difficulty with air travel, but we were discussing returning from a closed loop cruise with a green card (I am not familiar with the statute that njhorseman cites, so I do not know if that statute covers air travel also). A week delay suggests something out of the ordinary though (and it makes one wonder where they stayed in the interim).

Discussion is about returning FROM a closed loop cruise - not necessarily still ON that closed loop cruise. Which suggests "something out of the ordinary" may well have been involved.

In a nutshell - wondering where people stay while waiting for documentation necessary for air travel suggests understanding why some people believe traveling with a passport is a good idea - even though it costs some money to have a passport: just over $10 per year for the life of the passport.

Discussion is about returning FROM a closed loop cruise - not necessarily still ON that closed loop cruise. Which suggests "something out of the ordinary" may well have been involved.

In a nutshell - wondering where people stay while waiting for documentation necessary for air travel suggests understanding why some people believe traveling with a passport is a good idea - even though it costs some money to have a passport: just over $10 per year for the life of the passport.

Well, when you stop to consider that a lawful permanent resident cannot obtain a US passport until they actually become a citizen you'll see that you're statement is irrelevant to the present discussion (and depending upon their individual circumstance they may not have a valid passport from their native country and may not be able to obtain one at all). I'm not an expert on travel for those holding permanent residence, I haven't the need to do in-depth research into the question (DW naturalized years before I met her) but I do know that the extant regulations allow green card holders on closed loops cruises to use their green card for re-entry.

And for what it's worth I do recognize that the passport is the king of travel documentation and that it's the absolute best one can get. I also recognize that the regulations do allow for exceptions and that for some people it makes sense to use something else based on their travel needs. You might think that spending $850 for a 4 day cruise when future travel plans are completely uncertain is a good use of money, but when I had to make that decision I could not in good conscience say that it was and I know that I'm not the only one in that boat. (And before you bring it up had it been necessary to actually spend that $850 on passports we would have either found a way to do it or we would have chosen a form of vacation that didn't require it.)

IMO, it is STUPID to travel outside the US without a passport.

And if you are having passport trouble, travel is not indicated.

Agreed.

It is terrible advice on this thread telling a foreign national with "passport issues" to leave and it will be ok to come back. No one knows what these issues are.

They could be among those that allow re-entry to be denied or deportation proceedings begin.

Until their issues are worked out, they should not be leaving.

Agreed.

It is terrible advice on this thread telling a foreign national with "passport issues" to leave and it will be ok to come back. No one knows what these issues are.

They could be among those that allow re-entry to be denied or deportation proceedings begin.

Until their issues are worked out, they should not be leaving.

I think everyone on this thread has told the OP that the green card is sufficient for re-entry into the US per US laws and regulations but that he needs to check with the countries being visited to ascertain their entry requirements as they may require a valid passport issued by his native country and may require a visa depending on his citizenship.

As for the "stupid to travel outside the US without a passport" I know a great many people in my community whose only travel outside the US is to Canada which is 8 miles from my front door and most of them do not use passports for said travel- they have obtained passport cards or EDL's for that purpose (and they would think it stupid to waste money on a passport they will never use). Everyone has different travel needs and everyone should use the best documentation they can to meet those needs.

I will give you your passport card for Canada only trips.

But if $5.50 per year is too much to pay, how do you afford cruising?

Passport card is $55 per 10 year validity, Passport book is $110 for the same 10 years.

And if you get a passport card, and then decide to go to Europe, then guess what? You get to pay ANOTHER $110 for the passport book.

While the passport card makes sense for someone living on the border and who might never travel anywhere else, for the vast majority of people, it makes more sense to just get the passport book, and to carry it with them.

I will give you your passport card for Canada only trips.

But if $5.50 per year is too much to pay, how do you afford cruising?

Passport card is $55 per 10 year validity, Passport book is $110 for the same 10 years.

And if you get a passport card, and then decide to go to Europe, then guess what? You get to pay ANOTHER $110 for the passport book.

While the passport card makes sense for someone living on the border and who might never travel anywhere else, for the vast majority of people, it makes more sense to just get the passport book, and to carry it with them.

I afford to cruise by not spending money on things that I don't need:'). If you want to talk about cruising without a passport there is an active thread right now that is more appropriate for that discussion, since this one is primarily about a green card holder cruising with the green card.