Anyone flown Air Canada Rouge Premium Economy?

hiccups

We did get priority boarding also,lol.Are they discontinuing comfort +,I thought it was 10 times better than our Virgin return flight from Miami,which was standard economy.

I *think* they will continue to have Comfort+ in addition to Premium Select on international flights but I don't recall for sure. I will say that if they do, it's a safe bet that whatever priority boarding is granted to Comfort+, it will be superceded by that granted to Premium Select. So add that to the list of what would be different if DL had true premium economy. ;)

Not certain specifically what Delta will do. In addition to what you describe coming to Delta, Air Canada Premium Economy also has an:

- Amenity kit (socks, toothbrush, hand cream etc. handed out on night flights)

- Better wine selection

- Meal is plated, and much more substantial

- Hot towel before each meal

- full size pillow and blanket

- Two free checked bags

- priority boarding, priority check in, priority baggage handling

- since there are fewer passengers but the same number of overhead bins, bin space is a non-issue.

I have done premium economy on both Air Canada, Air France and Lufthansa, there are similar and I would suspect Delta when they bring it out it will be similar.

I agree; I don't know that Delta has announced all those other little details, but I know Air France premium economy includes additional things you mentioned, such as a better pillow and blanket, amenity kit, and better wine. Of course, AF already serves better wine in regular economy than US airlines anyway, LOL. AF also provides noise-reducing headphones and individual bottles of water to pax in premium economy.

I agree; I don't know that Delta has announced all those other little details, but I know Air France premium economy includes additional things you mentioned, such as a better pillow and blanket, amenity kit, and better wine. Of course, AF already serves better wine in regular economy than US airlines anyway, LOL. AF also provides noise-reducing headphones and individual bottles of water to pax in premium economy.

I agree, for a nation that actually have some really good wineries. The US airlines work hard to find the worse wine possible. I was on a US flight once where they were even serving it from a tetra pack box.

One of the nice touches of Air France (even in premium economy) is they do a pass through the cabin after the meal handing out little bottles of Camus Cognac with the assumption that it is simply expect that anyone in the right mind wants an after dinner drink. On Air Canada I usually go for the Port as an after dinner drink.

Yes, like Air France, on Air Canada and Lufthansa there is a personal bottle of water waiting.

For anyone interested, here is AA's blurb on their PE roll out:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/experience/seats/premium-economy.jsp?anchorLocation=DirectURL&title=premiumeconomy

Here is DL's:

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en_US/traveling-with-us/onboard-experience/delta-premium-economy.html

Waterbug, do you know which routes DL has rolled out their product or at least starting to sell? AA is a bit more specific on their website about timing and routes.

Edited by buggins0402

Waterbug, do you know which routes DL has rolled out their product or at least starting to sell? AA is a bit more specific on their website about timing and routes.

No, I don't. I was on the phone a few weeks ago with a medallion line rep about something else and I asked. He said even the reps have no idea, but information is supposed to be coming "soon." I had held off purchasing my ticket to Italy in October, hoping to book it, but gave up and booked AF PE.

No, I don't. I was on the phone a few weeks ago with a medallion line rep about something else and I asked. He said even the reps have no idea, but information is supposed to be coming "soon." I had held off purchasing my ticket to Italy in October, hoping to book it, but gave up and booked AF PE.

Thanks, I guess I'll keep checking from time to time. If you see anything, please post. I've tentatively circled Normandy for next year and would like to cost compare against the PE AF and LH flights out of DTW to CDG.

We're getting to the age that unless it's a screaming deal for coach, it will be PE or above for TATLs and business for anything longer.

We're getting to the age that unless it's a screaming deal for coach, it will be PE or above for TATLs and business for anything longer.

That's kind of how I feel. Between op-ups, upgrade certificates, judicious use of miles, and plain old hovering over the airline website like a vulture, waiting for a cheap rate to pop up for biz, I've gotten used to the front of the bus on TATL and longer flights.

We won't be holding our breaths waiting for the US carriers to offer true PE service we can use. Take AA for example. It has to be 789 service. Very few of those like DFW-PEK. Also have to wait for new planes or current planes to go in for retrofit. AA is still flying those 333 pieces of s..t, left over from US Airlines, on many of their European flights. Nothing will change there for years. Same goes with US and their endless supply of 777s. Not expecting much out of this at all.

• 5 months later...

So coming back to the thread title. Will be flying rouge from YVR to HNL on 763 and considering whether to go for the bulkhead row 12AC or 14AC.

At least with row 14 you can slide your feet under the seat in front.

Any recommendations?

Back to Rouge. For a cruise last fall where we got Premium (Economy?) on the transcontinental flights for an acceptable extra fee, We traveled MCO-LGW on BA. There was a little more leg room, it may have been a separate cabin and the food was okay. Returning on Rouge BCN-YUL-MCO, on the first leg it was a middle cabin and we were given the ipads to watch movies, games, etc on. On the second leg, we were in what must have formerly been a business cabin with fewer bigger seats. The food and ipads were the same-just okay. Since we could pass customs in Canada, I would take even Rouge Premium again for the right price-it was better than most US airline international economy flights these days.

But aside from Rouge stories, this thread brings up all the differences between each airline's attempt at slightly better, bigger seats for less than business or first class prices. The names and the offerings are confusing with some offerings not being worth extra fees. We had economy seats on South African Airways that were as big as some of the "Premium" or "Plus" or whatever seats. SAS premium whatever was a separate cabin with a little more leg room and not much else BUT-they have a fabulous lounge for this class in Stockholm. Foreign airlines are doing a little better than US airlines with this in between thing.

We also took a real budget airline to Scotland last year on which the seats did not recline. After that, I can live with somebody in front of me reclining if I can stretch my legs out a little!

this thread brings up all the differences between each airline's attempt at slightly better, bigger seats for less than business or first class prices. The names and the offerings are confusing with some offerings not being worth extra fees.

Which reinforces my constant mantra - do your research. Become a knowledgable consumer. Know the products you are considering. Don't make assumptions. Go beyond the labels and the price tags. Make your own value assessments and value judgments.

Caveat emptor.

Will do! Our last flight we paid an extra $400 to get premium economy on United, and all we got was the bulkhead seats. Hoping for a bit better on Rouge, but I'm with you, doubtful it's like any European airline.

United does not have Premium Economy..yet. What you got whas economy plus. Not really a separate class. But it is at least bearable on long flights. They are coming out with PE by year end. It will be interesting to see what the price is.

Edited by oskidunker