Medical evacuation from QM2

HelloKittysMum

Just spoken (via whatapp) to my parents on QM2 (we left the ship in NY while they have done back to back). There was a medical evacuation by helicopter (Not sure if this was today or yesterday). Apparently the ship stopped to allow it to happen. Hope the patient is ok.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

It took place yesterday (18 August). Was announced by Captain Howarth around 11AM and the helicopter arrived 11:45AM. Took about half an hour. QM2 was slowed down to about 5 knots and turned against the wind - decks 12, 13, and the port and starboard side of deck 7 were closed. There was no subsequent official information regarding the state of the passenger.

On one of our east bound crossings there was a medical emergency that required helicopter evacuation while the QM2 was too from the nearest medical helicopter facility . The captain increased the speed of the ship through out the night to get to within the range of helicopters. I believe that was the only time that the gas turbine engines were used while we have been on the ship. When the helicoper arrived, the captain asked that everyone stay inside their cabins while the transfer was being made. I supose because of the danger from the down draft. The whole process took less than 15 minutes. We never heard anything about the patients condition after leaving the ship.

Bob

This particular evacuation was done on the U.K. side.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

And by international agreement, those nations responsible for SAR operations in various areas of the world, and I suspect the UK covers the eastern North Atlantic, do not charge for SAR missions.