Wine near Galveston Port

cindyg1963

I've searched the boards for my answer, but all the threads are rather old.

I'm wondering if there are any stores near the Galveston Port to purchase wine? Since we're flying in from Wyoming, there's no way to bring it with us, and our flight gets in at 10 p.m. the night before the cruise.

Suggestions, advice or directions?

Thanks!!

TOTAL WINE is the best! Depending on how you are getting to port, exit the El Dorado exit (I think either exit 26 or 27) and Total wine is on the right side of I45. Excellent prices and excellent wine. HUGE store. You can even order online and pick it up at the front.

All liquor stores in Texas are closed on Sundays. If you come in on Sunday, you can still purchase wine at our local grocery store. H E B has a good selection. However, you must wait til noon to purchase wine on Sundays.

Welcome to Texas liquor law where government, business and religion have dutifully created the most nonsensical mess of regulation known to man.

Beer and wine can be sold until 1AM on Saturday (technically Sunday) so you should be able to stop at an open supermarket on the way down to Galveston and make your purchase.

Have fun on your cruise!

Welcome to Texas liquor law where government, business and religion have dutifully created the most nonsensical mess of regulation known to man.

Beer and wine can be sold until 1AM on Saturday (technically Sunday) so you should be able to stop at an open supermarket on the way down to Galveston and make your purchase.

Have fun on your cruise!

Thankfully OP doesn't have to deal with our silly Sunday laws as they are leaving ON SATURDAY.

nothing within walking distance that i know of.

Downtown :

• Bobs grocery
  • 509 21st St, Galveston

Near downtown

• CVS pharmacy
  • 25th and Broadway

Not Downtown:

Since you are here on Saturday:

Krogers(after noon on Sunday)

Specs (closed Sundays)

Frankie's liquor.

2218 Strand.

You can walk to it from the cruise terminal.

Not sure of the wine selection. We don't shop there. I might stop in once a year for an emergency.But they do sell it. But everything they sell is very expensive. The place is for sale. And has been for a very long time. So if you know you're going to walk there. I would call ahead first.409-765-6520

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

Frankie's liquor.

2218 Strand.

Not sure of the wine selection. We don't shop there. I might stop in once a year for an emergency.But they do sell it. But everything they sell is very expensive. The place is for sale. And has been for a very long time. So if you know you're going to walk there. I would call ahead first.409-765-6520

Thanks forgot about that one . Also never shop there.

Frankie's liquor.

2218 Strand.

Frank's Liquor Store is closed and the location is for sale.

Are you talking about Frank. Over on University Boulevard. Frank died. His store was called strand number two. But they were not affiliated.

Or are you referring to Frankies liquor on Strand. Which has been for sale for a long time. But it was not closed. Are you saying it is now closed?

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes, Galveston can be pricey? Ya know? So I'd do some picking up of some wine at Houston. I mean Your going to fly into Houston anyway. Just pick up some wine there. Then go to cruise port.

There's one thing though... Do they still allow that. Cause the only thing I thought they allowed to bring onto the ship was/were cases of bottled water. Everything now has to come in "packages" And some of the wine packages has some pretty good selections. Just saying. I don't want nor mean anything to cause trouble for you. Have a fun cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Sometimes, Galveston can be pricey? Ya know? So I'd do some picking up of some wine at Houston. I mean Your going to fly into Houston anyway. Just pick up some wine there. Then go to cruise port.

There's one thing though... Do they still allow that. Cause the only thing I thought they allowed to bring onto the ship was/were cases of bottled water. Everything now has to come in "packages" And some of the wine packages has some pretty good selections. Just saying. I don't want nor mean anything to cause trouble for you. Have a fun cruise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Between Specs and Kroger's that are both in Galveston and Houston, both with buying power , pricing and variety are equally available either place . . . Considering small size of Galveston, accessibility is probably better in Galveston.

Anyone have any comments about Economy Liquor near Four Points Sheraton? I'm willing to pay $6 more per bottle of wine for the convenience of walking to it.

We are flying in the night before our cruise on Sunday and might make it down there before they close at night. It seems to be walking distance.

Otherwise, we will take an Uber to a Kroger for ~$12 bucks round trip.

TIA

Anyone have any comments about Economy Liquor near Four Points Sheraton? I'm willing to pay $6 more per bottle of wine for the convenience of walking to it.

We are flying in the night before our cruise on Sunday and might make it down there before they close at night. It seems to be walking distance.

Otherwise, we will take an Uber to a Kroger for ~$12 bucks round trip.

TIA

Economy is fine ! Small neighborhood store.

• 1 month later...
CruiseStop

https://www.facebook.com/thecruisestop/

Various last minute items

Corner 25th and Strand across the street from terminals

Wine after noon time Sunday's

Also, perpendicular to the Railroad Museum for another reference point & it looks out of place on the Strand (sort of like a duty free, but not) but quite convenient.

I saw a for sale sign in the window and I'm pretty sure it was locked up tight in the middle of the day on a weekday.

I'm talking about the Strand location.

By the way..... Frankie's is still open

Sent from Samsung's Galaxy using speech to text