Photobucket changes

LA_CA_GAL

I was over on the digital photo board, and saw that Photobucket is making changes.

Looks like they are going to eliminate the ability to have our photos posted here.:mad:

Really?

Then I go over to my pix there yesterday and today, and the website is all screwed up, I cannot even access my photos.

Looks like I will be using Shutterfly for all of my on-line photo needs.

enhance

I was over on the digital photo board, and saw that Photobucket is making changes.

Looks like they are going to eliminate the ability to have our photos posted here.:mad:

Really?

Then I go over to my pix there yesterday and today, and the website is all screwed up, I cannot even access my photos.

Looks like I will be using Shutterfly for all of my on-line photo needs.

enhance

I feel your pain. A friend recommends tinypic.com. I also have a Flickr acct., but it was never as easy to use as PB. I have a shutterfly account but have never been able to figure out how to post pics from there. If you have the secret, please share...EM

I never understood what Photobucket ever got out of allowing deep linking.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

I feel your pain. A friend recommends tinypic.com. I also have a Flickr acct., but it was never as easy to use as PB. I have a shutterfly account but have never been able to figure out how to post pics from there. If you have the secret, please share...EM

OK, I am figuring out Shutterfly, as this will become my main picture site now.

First thing to do is bring up your picture, then, mouse pointer over the picture, and right click, and you get the pop up menu as shown below. Then, click the third one down "copy image", and come here, and just paste it to your post (I use CTRL C).

Really simple.

enhance

pardon above photo (from Fundy Bay excursion last fall) I've never been able to post photos - they always ended up as thumbnails...I just had to give it a try!

Thanks for posting how to paste photos!

And what a beautiful picture to post as your test picture! All my pictures of that bridge have loads of people in it, so I'm happy/jealous that you got such a good one!

I saw the other thread too and was wondering the same thing. I have three reviews and I used Photobucket for all three. While working on either the 2nd or 3rd, I ran out of their "free" storage and went ahead and paid to get more storage space. I also have Shutterfly, which I love, but when I was doing the my first review (2013), it didn't work for me then.

I just logged into Photobucket and looked at their terms. It appears that those who purchase their most expensive plan will still continue to have the 3rd party image hosting. Below is copied and pasted from Photobucket's Terms of Use:

"Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting."

That is really a shame because many here on CC have done reviews using Photobucket as their host site, reviews that have been so helpful to me in planning our cruises and what to do in ports. The pictures are always a plus, so I have an idea of what a place looks like and have based some of my decisions on what we do in ports based on the pictures I've seen in reviews. I still enjoy going back to some of my favorite reviews that I have read over the years, especially if we're planning a cruise that will have some of those ports. I know those of us who have done those reviews put a lot of time and effort into them and for Photobucket to "pull the rug", so to speak, unless we're willing to pay top $$$, is just very disappointing.

LA_CA_GAL...thanks for the explanation and screen shot of Shutterfly. Getting ready to log in and give it a try.

I saw the other thread too and was wondering the same thing. I have three reviews and I used Photobucket for all three. While working on either the 2nd or 3rd, I ran out of their "free" storage and went ahead and paid to get more storage space. I also have Shutterfly, which I love, but when I was doing the my first review (2013), it didn't work for me then.

I just logged into Photobucket and looked at their terms. It appears that those who purchase their most expensive plan will still continue to have the 3rd party image hosting. Below is copied and pasted from Photobucket's Terms of Use:

"Plus 50 Plan: 52 GB of Storage for $59.99 / Year. The Plus 50 Plan does not allow any image linking or 3rd party image hosting. o Plus 100 Plan: 102 GB of Storage for $99.99 / Year. The Plus 100 Plan allows for unlimited image linking but does not allow 3rd party image hosting.

o Plus 500 Plan: 500 GB of Storage and unlimited bandwidth for $399.99 / Year. The Plus 500 Plan allows for unlimited image linking and unlimited 3rd party image hosting."

That is really a shame because many here on CC have done reviews using Photobucket as their host site, reviews that have been so helpful to me in planning our cruises and what to do in ports. The pictures are always a plus, so I have an idea of what a place looks like and have based some of my decisions on what we do in ports based on the pictures I've seen in reviews. I still enjoy going back to some of my favorite reviews that I have read over the years, especially if we're planning a cruise that will have some of those ports. I know those of us who have done those reviews put a lot of time and effort into them and for Photobucket to "pull the rug", so to speak, unless we're willing to pay top $$$, is just very disappointing.

LA_CA_GAL...thanks for the explanation and screen shot of Shutterfly. Getting ready to log in and give it a try.

LA CA Gal, I do the same thing as you regarding long photo reviews. And like you I also go back and read old reviews. Unfortunately, as I noted on another thread, there is no way to update your photos or link to a new site in those old reviews, as far as I know. So if you don't pay Photobucket's "ransom," those old reviews are permanently degraded.

However, I just looked at 2 of your reviews and I see you still have tons of photos showing. In my reviews, I just have a black box in place of each photo with a message that I need to upgrade. Did you upgrade to the $400 plan, or do you know how or why your photos are still up?

Becky

LA CA Gal,......

However, I just looked at 2 of your reviews and I see you still have tons of photos showing. In my reviews, I just have a black box in place of each photo with a message that I need to upgrade. Did you upgrade to the $400 plan, or do you know how or why your photos are still up?

Becky

I did not upgrade, but, I know I did pay for extra storage. Nowhere near $400 though.

Photobucket has been trash for years. You've got to love a site that loads everything BUT the image first and then takes several seconds to load the only piece of information you're interested in.

Imgur is my go-to for image hosting, kind of annoying that neither it nor Gyazo are allowed on this site. Actually, the fact that this site blocks certain image hosting sites but not others is completely baffling to me in the first place. I don't know of any other forum that does that.

LA CA Gal, I do the same thing as you regarding long photo reviews. And like you I also go back and read old reviews. Unfortunately, as I noted on another thread, there is no way to update your photos or link to a new site in those old reviews, as far as I know. So if you don't pay Photobucket's "ransom," those old reviews are permanently degraded.

Becky

Becky, did you mean me (pghsteelerfan) or LA_CA_GAL? I know that my pictures (pghsteelerfan) still appear in the reviews that I've done. But no, I haven't paid the $400 ransom and I refuse to.

I can't remember if it was my 2nd or 3rd review, but while working on one of those two, I went over the 2GB free storage limit so I bit the bullet & paid to get the next level ($59.00 per year) so I could finish the review with the pictures. I didn't mind because it was also another "off site" storage for my pictures, just in case. From what I understand, others have received emails from Photobucket letting them know they are "locked out" from 3rd party hosting and once they receive those emails from Photobucket, any pictures posted to CC no longer show up. Someone else let me know over on the "Photo and Camera Discussions" threads under the "Digital Photography & Cruise Technology" boards here on CC, that it's not happening to everyone all at once and that it will take some time to go down through the line, but eventually everyone who doesn't pay their ransom will be locked out and the pictures will no longer show up.

Once I receive that email and my pictures no longer show up, I'm cancelling the account I have with Photobucket. The way I see it, what's the point of continuing to pay $59.00 a year if the pictures are gone? That $400 is a very steep price to pay just to keep the pictures showing in the reviews. I also use Shutterfly (which is free), mainly to share albums with family/friends and for their photobooks. LA_CA_GAL explained on here how to attach Shutterfly pictures to CC, so if I do another review after a cruise, then I'll use Shutterfly. I LOVE Shutterfly's photobooks, great quality and they do offer a lot of nice discounts.

And bummer that your pictures are now gone!!! I'd love to have seen your pictures from the reviews you did as some of those are "bucket list" cruises.

Oops, sorry. Yes, I did mean to address you, Steelerfan. It's good that your photos are still showing up. Maybe because you had already upgraded before they implemented these changes?

I also use Shutterfly for their photo books so I'll try it for the review I'm currently working on.

Oops, sorry. Yes, I did mean to address you, Steelerfan. It's good that your photos are still showing up. Maybe because you had already upgraded before they implemented these changes?

I also use Shutterfly for their photo books so I'll try it for the review I'm currently working on.

I did post that question (the one you asked and I hi-lighted in red) on the other board (Photo and Camera Discussions) inquiring if anyone knew if those who upgraded for more storage BEFORE Photobucket made their decision would be "grandfathered" and the answer was "no". Unless you pay for the premium package for the $400, then your account will eventually be "reset" and third party hosting will be restricted. This also goes for all past 3rd party hosting, like picture reviews here in CC, that had been completed before Photobucket initiated this change.

Shutterfly has been great in the past and they offer unlimited storage for free and I just hope they don't start charging or changing their policy. I'm also curious to see how this will affect Photobucket. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has done reviews on CC who pays the $59.00 per year just to keep the pictures showing in those reviews, but I can't see too many wanting to fork out the $400. So once I get the email from Photobucket telling me that my 3rd party hosting is restricted and my pictures no longer show in the reviews, then I'm cancelling the account and will not pay the $59.00 a year anymore. Just not worth it. It also wouldn't surprise me if others who have the lower tier Photobucket packages mainly for 3rd party hosting cancel their memberships as well. There are other host sites, in addition to Shutterfly, that others are recommending.

Edited by pghsteelerfan

Thanks for this timely topic. I am in the final stages of a lengthy review of our Alaska cruise that I want to include pictures in and since Holland America gave us a bunch of Shutterfly promo offers I had just set up an account there. Not sure if Shutterfly is doing similar promos with other lines but looks like they may become the "go to" site for cruise pictures. I had been worried about setting up a sharing folder of cropped/reduced size pictures to link to.

One question about adding the pictures to the review... usually when I insert images into posts I copy the image address then add that address where it says "Please enter the URL of your image:" rather than pasting in the image from "Copy Image".

Header.jpg

Like this. Works for me but if you don't see a HAL ship above let me know. I've had cases where posts looked fine for me but not for others.