My experience cruising with ulcerative colitis

lbjen

I wanted to share a little about my experience on Oasis of the Seas last week. This was my first cruise since my diagnosis 18 months ago. Last summer we went to an all inclusive resort and I ended up losing several lbs because I couldn't eat anything there. I was really anxious to avoid that this year because it put such a downer on everything.

The list of foods I can't eat is extensive, and includes potatoes, tomatoes, nuts, seeds, most vegetables, and lactose. I also can't eat much sugar. I'm currently taking a daily maintenance medication but I'm always trying to avoid a new flare-up because the last round of steroids almost turned me into a diabetic.

Luckily, my family are big fans of the windjammer, and I knew from past experience, pre-diagnosis, that there would enough options for me to pull something together in there for most meals.

It was not as easy however in the dining room. Typically when we go out to eat, I just ask them to leave off whatever I can't eat and it's not an issue. However, the MDR doesn't cook or plate to order, so that is not an option. Because I don't like to commit to having to eat in there every night, I didn't bother to make arrangements with them in advance for special meals, but as it became more difficult to find something on the menu that I could eat, I finally gave in and spoke to the head waiter.

He took down a list of all the things I can't eat, and brought me the next night's menu each day so that I could order a dish that they would plate without them. For the most part it was successful, but I did end up with some slightly odd looking meals, like the dry plain fish and rice, or the dry turkey and steamed carrots! But I got to eat a meal with my family each night, and that was my main goal.

It was also easier in the specialty restaurants to order dishes without certain parts, so I was able to have a nice dinner there too.

I'm glad I decided to take the gamble and hope that others with this condition will feel like maybe cruising will work for them too.

• 1 year later...
I wanted to share a little about my experience on Oasis of the Seas last week. This was my first cruise since my diagnosis 18 months ago. Last summer we went to an all inclusive resort and I ended up losing several lbs because I couldn't eat anything there. I was really anxious to avoid that this year because it put such a downer on everything.

The list of foods I can't eat is extensive, and includes potatoes, tomatoes, nuts, seeds, most vegetables, and lactose. I also can't eat much sugar. I'm currently taking a daily maintenance medication but I'm always trying to avoid a new flare-up because the last round of steroids almost turned me into a diabetic.

Luckily, my family are big fans of the windjammer, and I knew from past experience, pre-diagnosis, that there would enough options for me to pull something together in there for most meals.

It was not as easy however in the dining room. Typically when we go out to eat, I just ask them to leave off whatever I can't eat and it's not an issue. However, the MDR doesn't cook or plate to order, so that is not an option. Because I don't like to commit to having to eat in there every night, I didn't bother to make arrangements with them in advance for special meals, but as it became more difficult to find something on the menu that I could eat, I finally gave in and spoke to the head waiter.

He took down a list of all the things I can't eat, and brought me the next night's menu each day so that I could order a dish that they would plate without them. For the most part it was successful, but I did end up with some slightly odd looking meals, like the dry plain fish and rice, or the dry turkey and steamed carrots! But I got to eat a meal with my family each night, and that was my main goal.

It was also easier in the specialty restaurants to order dishes without certain parts, so I was able to have a nice dinner there too.

I'm glad I decided to take the gamble and hope that others with this condition will feel like maybe cruising will work for them too.

You would probably do well to contact IN ADVANCE each cruise line's "Special Needs" department, and let them know of all dietary or other special needs.

We've found that the Special Needs dept on land had communicated well with the ship, and there was someone already aware of the specifics. (This has been the case with dietary needs as well as other special needs, but they need some advance notice so they can best help.)

That way, the staff will be prepared in advance, and you'll probably have a dedicated person from the start to help you plan your meals.

We haven't sailed on this line, but the other lines have *always* been willing/able and seemingly happy to arrange "special plating", including on the spur of the moment in the MDR, although it's much better to plan in advance, be it the day before or a few hours. Obviously, the more time you give the chefs and waitstaff, the better they can help.

There are many of us with a variety of special dietary needs and a variety of medical conditions, and many of us have had more success than you are reporting.

But I don't think we see it as "finally giving in" to notify them so they can help with suitable meals, be it the MDR or specialties.

GC

We always preorder the next day’s meals on Carnival. Doesn’t Royal offer this option?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That’s what they did, but I don’t like having to choose my meals in advance, one of the things I like about cruising is the options!

I don’t have colitis but do have lactose-intolerance. I can control it fairly well with little tweaks (like ordering rice to replace mashed potatoes or French Onion soup with no topping. I’ve been assured on more than one ship that this is fine - if it’s on the line for that night, I can request it.

Currently I’m on Serenade OTS and their MDR was not helpful at all. Example - I asked for a salad. He told me the dressing had dairy so I asked for dressing on the side. Nope. The irony? He brought me the salad then asked if I’d prefer one with Balsamic Vinaigrette. Huh. Then he told me that I needed to meet with the chef daily. I solved that by eating in the Windjammer. Assortment of plain meats, make your own salad and I was able to have French Onion soup. The cheese crouton was separate so I didn’t add it.

That may be your answer...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was diagnosed in 2004 with Ulcerative Colitis and referred to a Nutritionist to set up a diet plan for me. She told me to have almonds once a day at lunch .I have 40 .I also eat seeds ,potatoes,tomatoes and nearly every vegetable.

For breakfast I have 2 slices of spelt bread or brown rice bread with 2 tables spoons of almond butter ,macadamia butter or cashew butter.