Hidden Rocks or Painted Rocks

albeachrealtor

A phenomenon has seemingly swept the country this summer and you may have heard of it. It is called hidden rocks or painted rocks and groups are popping up all over facebook, pinterest, etc. It is kind of like Pokemon, but you don't need electronics to participate. All you do is paint small rocks (the size of a lime or so) with colorful designs, hopeful messages, funny characters and where the rock was painted (phoenix, orange beach, indianapolis etc) or the hashtag to your hometown rock group. Then you hide them. When someone finds them, they can look up the hashtag or facebook group and see more about where the rock came from!

I was wondering if any other cruisers are doing this in their home towns and if they plan on hiding rocks around their upcoming cruises?

I am taking 10 rocks on our cruise next week.

never heard of it

We have seen the "Where's George" phenomenon

that is easier to carry around ;)

I've never heard of this

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's quite similar to geocaching (well, travel geocoins).

I find it a bit obnoxious. We were recently on a trip and stopped at Golden Spike National Monument. Out there (in the midst of the browns/tans/reds of the landscape), right at the entrance there was this lime green rock where it obviously didn't belong.

Cute idea. Gets people to be a bit creative.

My wife is a teacher and the teachers collegium has a cabbage patch kids like doll called Rebecca. Whenever a teacher goes on a trip , a teacher can take her along and snap a photo with her at some famous (or random) place.

Rebecca has been to over 100 countries, around 20000 cities and in places ad diverse as the Sistine chapel and the sex museum in Paris

The rocks I've seen are about 2 inches in size. How in the world can a pretty painted rock be an intrusion?
The ones on Facebook were much bigger. Allow our natural beauties to stay that way, why ruin them. If you want to do it, do it in your neighborhood or around your town to leave this message, but please keep them out of national parks, beaches, etc.

The ones on Facebook were much bigger. Allow our natural beauties to stay that way, why ruin them. If you want to do it, do it in your neighborhood or around your town to leave this message, but please keep them out of national parks, beaches, etc.

Yes, please.

As I said, the jarring bright green rock in the middle of the desert landscape was very out of place.

At least, with geocaching, such things are hidden and you have to look for them. The painted rocks are just randomly dropped, in plain view, anywhere someone can see them.

But with geocaching you frequently have to dig something up and disrupt nature.

We are driving in to mobile for our cruise on the carnival fantasy 8/12-17 so it isn't a problem for us to take rocks with us.

We had a bear in kindergarten that we started with the 1st day of school. If any of our parents were going on a trip, they took the bear and the journal and wrote about the journey. Then the bear was passed along to someone else. The bear had to be mailed back to the school by the end of the year and we got a geography lesson at the end of the year.

Our local group is new but if you wanted to check it out by searching facebook for orange beach and gulf shores rocks

Edited by albeachrealtor

But with geocaching you frequently have to dig something up and disrupt nature.

We are driving in to mobile for our cruise on the carnival fantasy 8/12-17 so it isn't a problem for us to take rocks with us.

We had a bear in kindergarten that we started with the 1st day of school. If any of our parents were going on a trip, they took the bear and the journal and wrote about the journey. Then the bear was passed along to someone else. The bear had to be mailed back to the school by the end of the year and we got a geography lesson at the end of the year.

Our local group is new but if you wanted to check it out by searching facebook for orange beach and gulf shores rocks

All the caches I've been involved with finding, never had to dig up anything. Most of them are hidden under rocks, or in crevices in trees/fences/walls. No damage to nature or otherwise.

They are doing it in one of our communities. The kids are having fun, and so are the parents. My parents went on an Alaskan cruise 2 weeks ago. I always ask people to bring me a rock for my rock garden. My mother brought me several, and one of them is a rock that she found in Juneau that had come from Ohio. It had a label on the back telling which group to join, and a hash tag to use in the group and see where the rock had been.

I plan on taking some on our cruise and hiding them. Some on the ship, and some on the islands. Maybe we should start a group called "Cruising Rocks", and post have people post where they found them there.

...and ships!

They are doing it in one of our communities. The kids are having fun, and so are the parents. My parents went on an Alaskan cruise 2 weeks ago. I always ask people to bring me a rock for my rock garden. My mother brought me several, and one of them is a rock that she found in Juneau that had come from Ohio. It had a label on the back telling which group to join, and a hash tag to use in the group and see where the rock had been.

I plan on taking some on our cruise and hiding them. Some on the ship, and some on the islands. Maybe we should start a group called "Cruising Rocks", and post have people post where they found them there.

Are you serious.(n):rolleyes:(n)

I live in FL and this is very popular. My daughter and kids paint pictures on the small rocks and hide them in parks for others to find. When you find one you are supposed to hide it somewhere else so others can find. Kids love this. The small rocks in no way ruin the parks or beaches.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app

A phenomenon has seemingly swept the country this summer and you may have heard of it. It is called hidden rocks or painted rocks and groups are popping up all over facebook, pinterest, etc. It is kind of like Pokemon, but you don't need electronics to participate. All you do is paint small rocks (the size of a lime or so) with colorful designs, hopeful messages, funny characters and where the rock was painted (phoenix, orange beach, indianapolis etc) or the hashtag to your hometown rock group. Then you hide them. When someone finds them, they can look up the hashtag or facebook group and see more about where the rock came from!

I was wondering if any other cruisers are doing this in their home towns and if they plan on hiding rocks around their upcoming cruises?

I am taking 10 rocks on our cruise next week.

Some people use spray paint or chisels to leave behind graffiti to let us know that they were there. Some people pick up beach stones and build cairns to let us know that they were there. Now apparently some people are painting rocks with cutesy images and messages to litter the landscape to let us know that they were there. I guess it makes you feel special. Really, you are not that special. Please, I don't want to know that you were there! I can't imagine why you think anybody would care! Go, enjoy, and leave the place you are visiting the way you found it. IMNSHO

Please tell us your ship, cruise dates and cabin number so we can make a big pile of rocks in front of your cabin.

DON

I really wouldn't bother hiding the rocks on the ship. They will be thrown away by the cleaning crew. Also, I wouldn't bother trying to get the 'ship' onboard. It wouldn't be worth the time I would take to explain it and I would suspect that, outside of the kids club, a vast majority of cruisers would have no interest.

As far as leaving them outside. Not my cup of tea, but whatever; I assume you make a point to use non-toxic/natural paints so it can't accidentally contaminate a water source or poison an animal if they mistake it for food due to the colors.

It does sound a lot like that Pokémon go thing through. Where on the surface it causes no harm and only impacts users - until people leave their common sense at the door and cause a public spectacle. I think there were a number of memorials where people were walking around w their phones in their face looking for Pokémon which was upsetting to people paying their respects. Please don't leave your common sense at the door for something like this. Can just imagine children clogging up pathways in parks looking for these silly rocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

:eek:

Gotta have rocks in your head!:rolleyes: