Flight name change

florence11

Hi,

This may not be the right place to post this but I don't know where else to ask. We are a group of 7 and have booked flights (separately) to Singapore to pick up our cruise in Feb 2018. Due to unforeseen circumstances 1 of the group is not able to go so someone else has agreed to step into their place. We have been in touch with Celebrity and everything is fine but the airline will not do anything and the seat needs to be re-booked. What I would like to know (if anyone has been in this situation) is if we did not change the booking and just turned up at the airport would we be able to do a name change or re-book the seat etc. or will that be too late.

I would appreciate any information

Thanks

Hi,

This may not be the right place to post this but I don't know where else to ask. We are a group of 7 and have booked flights (separately) to Singapore to pick up our cruise in Feb 2018. Due to unforeseen circumstances 1 of the group is not able to go so someone else has agreed to step into their place. We have been in touch with Celebrity and everything is fine but the airline will not do anything and the seat needs to be re-booked. What I would like to know (if anyone has been in this situation) is if we did not change the booking and just turned up at the airport would we be able to do a name change or re-book the seat etc. or will that be too late.

I would appreciate any information

Thanks

What do you mean when you say that the airline won't do anything? You said the flights were booked separately- do you mean that each of you booked your flight separately from the others in the group or separately as not booked thru' Celebrity?

If each booked their own flight thru' the airline then call the airline rand ask what their policy is regarding a name change. I would not just show up day of expecting to change a name. It isn't that simple especially when flying internationally. Worst case scenario-trying to do this day of-is the airline will cancel the original person's flight and then the new person can book the flight but at the last minute walk, up fare. If the flight is full and overbooked, the seat would go to a pax that had already booked but for whom there was no seat at that point in time. Get this all taken care of in advance but depending on the type of fare booked, be prepared for loss of monies paid and that the fare for the new person to be higher. Hopefully you booked the flights directly with the airline and not a 3rd party booking site because thst could also complicate things. I see that you are from Wales and I have no idea if there are regs that apply to European airlines that would be different from US airlines. However, it still seems best to get it all worked out in advance.

Good luck and hopefully it will work out OK.

Hi Florence, as I said when you first posted your question on the Celebrity site, more information is needed for the flight experts to properly assess your situation.

1) Did you book the flights with Choice Air, directly with the airline or perhaps a travel agent?

2) What airline are you booked on and what class of ticket was purchased?

3) If possible, provide some info on why one of the original people can no longer travel, if it's for health reasons that may open up more options.

Based on the lack of details you appear to be getting the same vague answers you got on the Celebrity forum.

Just a note on name changes....Here in the states, some airlines simply don't allow a name change at all. The pax who can't go simply has to cancel, and the new pax has to book a new flight for him or herself. The pax who is canceling may find any one of the following:

• no refund at all
  • pay a cancellation fee and get a refund
  • have a cancellation fee deducted from the value of the ticket and the remainder refunded
  • have a cancellation fee deducted from the value of the ticket and the remainder reissued in the form of an airline voucher to be used within a set period of time by that same pax

None of the details others have asked for are relevant. Anything the non-traveling person wants to do with their ticket is between them and the airline.

Some low cost carriers allow a name change for a fee. I don't know any airline that flies to Singapore that will.

The new person needs to purchase a new plane ticket. They can't use the non-traveling person's ticket.

A quick update to my prior post. If your airline allows a change (here is a link I found that lists those that do https://sparefare.net/content/content/airlines//lang/2) you would need to do so in ADVANCE and not wait until the day of departure. I also searched a few airlines and some clearly state no name change is allowed while others (some on the link) indicate the rules regarding a change.

The link also indicates that even if your airline isn't listed they may allow a change based on special circumstances.

I'd contact the Airline directly and see what your options are to try and get the name changed. If they won't do that, as waterbug says you can get information on what cancellation options you have for the existing ticket.

Most airlines don't allow these types of changes. They will allow changes due to an error, or a change due to a legal name change but they don't allow John to buy a ticket, then change the tick to Howard.

Why? Because then people could make a business on buying up tickets when fares are low, and re-selling. If John found a ticket to Singapore for $500.00 on a flash sale, the airline does not want him buying 10-tickets and then selling them off to 10 random people for $750.00 each when the normal ticket is $1,000.00 etc..

I highly doubt the airline will help you, but the person who has the ticket needs to call the airline. What I am 95% sure will happen is that the person not going can cancel and see what his cancellation options are in a refund or more likely airline credit, and the person taking his place will just need to buy his own ticket.

Thank you to everyone who has replied, I know we are clutching at straws but we were hoping to try and get a little money back but I don't think that will be happening anytime soon. We will have to wait until the price drops abit and book a new one. To top it all we had booked extra leg room seats and they won't refund or transfer that either. Never mind :(:(

In the straw department: one thing, at least if you purchased your tickets from UA, is to keep an eye on the flights. If a sufficient schedule change occurs (two hours or more), you can cancel and get a full refund. https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/help/schedule-change.aspx

You'd need to check the policy of your particular airline.