Walvis Bay

Faival

Does anyone have experience /recommendations for this cruise port.

Not into 4x4's.

Thanks.

Hi Faival,

We were in Walvis Bay in May 2015 and chose to do the Princess excursion to see the wildlife as, being from the UK and having travelled to Germany, we didn’t really need to see Swakopmund which is described as ‘Little Germany’.

We loved ort boat trip and below is my diary entry for the day.

I will try to add some pictures but I’m technically challenged so don’t hold your breath!!!

Day 22. Saturday 9th May.

Walvis Bay, Namibia. WALVIS BAY WILD LIFE CRUISE.

A.M. Thick fog and cold early on. Some sunny periods by late morning but cold on the water.

P.M. Sunny but with a cool wind. Warm in sheltered areas.

Sea conditions: millpond calm.

Our tour group's meeting time was 08.00 in the Cabernet lounge so we were going to have a bit of a lie-in but I woke up at 05.45 and decided to have my shower and go for breakfast early so I could watch the sail-in. Unfortunately, it was too foggy to see anything!

https://flic.kr/p/MM341M

THE WALVIS BAY WILD LIFE CRUISE.

We left the ship at 08.15 by coach for the 10 minute drive to the boat dock and this is where my heart sank as it was right in the middle of the fish processing area and so the smell was awful. There were clean toilets and a tiny office area with a seat but that was about it.

The boats were small, semi-covered, fast game fishing style vessels which held 10/15 passengers.

There was no jetty so the tour boat firm had a narrow, extendable walk-way out from the mud flats and there were people to help you move along it.

https://flic.kr/p/Msn4C3

https://flic.kr/p/MsmPm7

Once on board our pilot and guide, Ruen (he had a great sense of humour), showed us that there was a toilet on board (small but adequate) and explained the safety rules before we set off across the bay.

This was where things improved and the fun began. Ruen stopped the boat in several places and we got very 'up close and personal' with pelicans, seals, dolphins and flamingos as well as many other sea birds and the sand dunes along the Namibian coast.

IMG_2848

IMG_2918

At times, the boat went very fast so it was a bumpy ride and sometimes I had to cling very tightly to the rail to stop myself bouncing off my seat but it was so exciting and exhilarating!

Ruen stopped the boat for 30 minutes by a sandbar and served sparkling wine, freshly shucked oysters and a variety of nibbles. Soft drinks and beer were offered throughout the trip.

https://flic.kr/p/MRnJ8C

We saw a lot and learned a lot so, despite the unpromising start we all had a great time. Hopefully, in years to come, the company will build a proper floating dock away from the fish processing plant and then the whole experience will be as great as the middle bit!

We were very glad that we had our fleeces and waterproof coats as it was very cold when we were moving and the spray was splashing over the sides.

It was a wonderful trip and well worth the money although I know a lot of people complained about the dock area.

We got back to the ship at 1.15 A really great day.

WALVIS BAY.

The port is huge and very industrial.

There was a free shuttle to the port gate where there was a small craft market.

There were taxis available on the dock.

The town is larger and seems more prosperous than Luderitz with wide streets and good quality, modern housing.

The town centre is a good 20 minutes walk from the port gate.

There are a couple of shopping malls and supermarkets.

We did the 4x4 desert tour out of Walvis Bay when we docked there in March 2014 on the MSC Sinfonia. Five hours with excellent guides who explained all the flora and fauna of the Nambian desert. Saw herds of springbok on three occasions. Going down some VERY steep dunes was also a thrill. Coming back toward the town and port we also saw the flamingo lake as in the photos above. The excursion wasn't cheap at €145 each but we thought it well worth the expense.

• 2 weeks later...