Review of Memphis Tours - Casablanca

Cybercsp

We booked two tours with Memphis. The first one, an Agadir tour, proceeded without incident, and we were asked to pay in full for the following day's Casablanca tour. Unfortunately, the Casablanca tour was poor. The company sent a van that was not large enough to accommodate the number of people who had booked the trip. There was a lengthy wait while some people were on the van, and others waited in the hot sun, while the guide and an organizer made multiple phone calls. Finally, two from our group were put in a cab to follow the van; they had no commentary, and they stated that the guide tried to block their exit from the cab when they announced that they wanted to leave the tour early, demanding a tip.

We booked this tour specifically because we were able to pay an extra fee to enter the Hassan II mosque. When we arrived, the guide encouraged us to peek inside (a man inside the mosque seemed to expect us to pay him a fee for this privilege). Only after there were clear complaints from the group, and an ultimatum that we be refunded the extra fee or be allowed to enter, did the guide agree to return us to the mosque later in the afternoon. (The mosque was the highlight of the trip, and I am happy that we fought to get inside as contracted).

Finally, the rug demonstration (a total waste of time as no one had any interest and we were never asked whether we would like to attend) was NOT on the itinerary, but was part of the tour.

If you take the tour, I would suggest that you bring a printout of the promised itinerary, as our guide announced that we were returning to the ship after three hours (we had contracted for a four-and-a-half hour tour). When it was noted that we had not been taken to see the old city, he had the driver drop us at a shop in an area that looked questionable and did not accompany us (in fact, as we were leaving one shop, the shop keeper suggested that we not venture down the street).

We have taken independent tours for many years, and this is the worst experience that we have had.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for your review of this particular tour. It is people like you that make Cruise Critic a valuable resource. I will be in Casablanca next month and will take the ship's tour. Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We booked two tours with Memphis. The first one, an Agadir tour, proceeded without incident, and we were asked to pay in full for the following day's Casablanca tour. Unfortunately, the Casablanca tour was poor. The company sent a van that was not large enough to accommodate the number of people who had booked the trip. There was a lengthy wait while some people were on the van, and others waited in the hot sun, while the guide and an organizer made multiple phone calls. Finally, two from our group were put in a cab to follow the van; they had no commentary, and they stated that the guide tried to block their exit from the cab when they announced that they wanted to leave the tour early, demanding a tip.

We booked this tour specifically because we were able to pay an extra fee to enter the Hassan II mosque. When we arrived, the guide encouraged us to peek inside (a man inside the mosque seemed to expect us to pay him a fee for this privilege). Only after there were clear complaints from the group, and an ultimatum that we be refunded the extra fee or be allowed to enter, did the guide agree to return us to the mosque later in the afternoon. (The mosque was the highlight of the trip, and I am happy that we fought to get inside as contracted).

Finally, the rug demonstration (a total waste of time as no one had any interest and we were never asked whether we would like to attend) was NOT on the itinerary, but was part of the tour.

If you take the tour, I would suggest that you bring a printout of the promised itinerary, as our guide announced that we were returning to the ship after three hours (we had contracted for a four-and-a-half hour tour). When it was noted that we had not been taken to see the old city, he had the driver drop us at a shop in an area that looked questionable and did not accompany us (in fact, as we were leaving one shop, the shop keeper suggested that we not venture down the street).

We have taken independent tours for many years, and this is the worst experience that we have had.

This review could not be more precise and detailed as it sure was a day which we all would like to forget. The arrogance of the tour leader and his colleague goes beyond anyone 's imagination. On our return we immediately sent a detailed account of what happened to Memphis Tours to which they promptly replied, apologised and sent us a credit for the Casablanca Tour. I have been informed that Memphis Tours has suspended this agent for this careless, irresponsible and unprofessional way our excursion was conducted. The mentioned guide was reported to the Moroccan Minister of Tourism and the Moroccan National Syndicate for tour guides and an immediate suspension of the license so he will never get to work in the Tourism/Hospitality industry. Hand on heart I must be honest and say that the way Memphis Tours handled our issue was immediate, positive and fair. Casblanca sure left a bitter taste but should my husband and I require to choose Memphis Tours for any future excursions, we will gladly do so. Our complaint did not fall on to deaf ears.