NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I just redeemed my points for an upgrade and it wasn't bad at all.

First I called without a booking and they said I needed to book first then call back (M-F from 9-5 since I am using a TA). OK, no problem, my TA booked and then I called. It took maybe 15 mins for her to access everything and upgrade me and pick the room and such but it wasn't bad. And now I saved $1550 :D

I've redeemed points for OBC a couple of times now, and it was an easy 10 minute phone call, although you will be holding for a bit. Different folks have different levels of patience, but I think comparing it to a kidney stone or root canal has to be a joke. Anyone who really found it that bad should think about cancelling the card.

Actually, even the person who was trying to help me agreed it was Root Canal painful. I would have had them send me a check, but I would lose value that way. I may just apply it to my next cruise. I don't leave until Jan 16, so will try again.

I've redeemed points for OBC a couple of times now, and it was an easy 10 minute phone call, although you will be holding for a bit. Different folks have different levels of patience, but I think comparing it to a kidney stone or root canal has to be a joke. Anyone who really found it that bad should think about cancelling the card.

I was on the phone for at least 20 minutes. For my Royal Caribbean credit card I go on their website, click two or three things and it's done. So much easier.

But yes, the kidney stone reference was a joke.

Edited by Yorkvillain

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I tried again to convert points to OBC. Timed it this time and, even with a few minutes just chatting with my helper, under 15 minutes. So now I have enough OBC for whatever. The upgrade doesn't work well for me because I normally book 3 or 4 cabins together for our group. This time it was 6. Enough complication without attempting the upgrade. Maybe next time.

No, it is more advantageous to do the latter so you earn more points!

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. We've only had the NCL card for a year so I haven't used any points yet. I thought about saving them for an upgrade later on, but will probably just use them as cashback/credit to pay the bill.

No, it is more advantageous to do the latter so you earn more points!

I agree. Cash in your points rather than spend them on OBC .

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. We've only had the NCL card for a year so I haven't used any points yet. I thought about saving them for an upgrade later on, but will probably just use them as cashback/credit to pay the bill.

Actually, if you save enough points for a Double Meta Upgrade then look for the cruise-deal you want, you may save hundreds of dollars.

But first, make sure to check twice before calling NCL and make sure you know what you are doing.

My Travel Agent said she could not help since the Double Meta Upgrade has to be done directly through NCL.

WE saved about $800.00 on our next NCL Gem cruise(2017), with the option of cancelling the cruise before final payment, and points being returned.

Edited by $hip$hape

I agree. Cash in your points rather than spend them on OBC .

Actually, if you save enough points for a Double Meta Upgrade then look for the cruise-deal you want, you may save hundreds of dollars.

But first, make sure to check twice before calling NCL and make sure you know what you are doing.

My Travel Agent said she could not help since the Double Meta Upgrade has to be done directly through NCL.

WE saved about $800.00 on our next NCL Gem cruise(2017), with the option of cancelling the cruise before final payment, and points being returned.

A double cross meta-upgrade is 60,000 points ($600), so you saved about $200, right? That's quite a bit.

You upgraded from what category to what?

A double cross meta-upgrade is 60,000 points ($600), so you saved about $200, right? That's quite a bit.

You upgraded from what category to what?

We booked a balcony, but paid for a inside cabin.(Check post #3799)

Depending on the cruise/ship and categories of balcony cabins, the amount you save will vary.

Try a mock booking for the cruise you want.

Edited by $hip$hape

Actually, as an example, 15000 points converts to $150obc but only $125 cash or credit on your bill.

I just did a quick check on the credit card website, and their calculator was showing that I would receive the full amount as a credit on my bill. For example, 60,000 points = $600.

We used 30k points to go from Oceanview to balcony and saved $1300 (alaskan). Waaaaaay better than OBC

Wow, I estimated I'd have at least 30,000 points by my next cruise in November, and was going to cash it in for OBC. The other day I upgraded from ocean view to balcony for $500 per person. If I had 30K points right now I would have used that. On some cruises the spread between ocean view and balcony isn't that much, but on my 14 day it is.

I just did a quick check on the credit card website, and their calculator was showing that I would receive the full amount as a credit on my bill. For example, 60,000 points = $600.

Keep in mind that you have enough points for a double cross meta upgrade which could be worth MUCH more than $600.

Keep in mind that you have enough points for a double cross meta upgrade which could be worth MUCH more than $600.

Thanks. I may wait until we book our next cruise and see how the points could be used to upgrade and how much that would be worth. I can always trade them in for cash or credit.

Edited by hawk1972

• 1 month later...

I'm thinking about reserving an oceanview cabin and using the 30,000 points to upgrade to a balcony. That way we could qualify for the pick 2 promos running now that comes with an oceanview or above and it would only cost the equivalent of $300 for the two of us rather than $310 pp which is the current difference between an oceanview and a balcony on the Dawn on the dates we're looking at for 2017. Am I missing something?