Paris to Normandy cruise in November?

KathyK13

Friends of our are taking a Paris to Normandy wine themed cruise in November on AMA and we are considering joining them or doing the same cruise on another line late August/early September. while we would enjoy going with friends, my main concern is the weather in November. Coming from upstate NY, we are used to cold weather and cloudy skies. Just not sure we want to experience the same weather on vacation in France, especially since it would be our first trip there. Comments from anyone who has done the Seine to Normandy cruise in late fall would be appreciated, regardless of cruise line.

I have gotten emails from AMA that their wine cruises are on sale, and the list prices are no higher for the wine cruises so it is a real discount. Of course they tend to be at times when the weather isn't ideal (maybe if you drink enough wine you don't notice? ;)). I'll let others comment on the weather, but I would share your concern. I would be less concerned if you were considering the Rhone itinerary in southern France.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau

Friends of our are taking a Paris to Normandy wine themed cruise in November on AMA and we are considering joining them or doing the same cruise on another line late August/early September. while we would enjoy going with friends, my main concern is the weather in November. Coming from upstate NY, we are used to cold weather and cloudy skies. Just not sure we want to experience the same weather on vacation in France, especially since it would be our first trip there. Comments from anyone who has done the Seine to Normandy cruise in late fall would be appreciated, regardless of cruise line.

We almost always go in November or December for the rates and lack of crowds.

Last November we cruised the Rhone with AMA on a wine cruise and had a great time. We had some rain pre cruise in Paris but mild weather the rest of the time.

That was our 2nd wine cruise with AMA and won't be our last. They are a lot of fun, especially if you are a wine drinker.

You will see in my signature that we are doing another river cruise in November, this time on the Rhine for the Christmas markets. That is our favorite season in Europe.

One of the highlights of an Paris Seine cruise is visiting Monet's gardens and home in Giverny. I believe that the gardens are closed during November, confirm for the date of the sailing, but I think it would be a shame to miss such an amazing place.

One of the highlights of an Paris Seine cruise is visiting Monet's gardens and home in Giverny. I believe that the gardens are closed during November, confirm for the date of the sailing, but I think it would be a shame to miss such an amazing place.

Agree! Was one of the highlights of the cruise.

Northern France can be cold and ugly in November ( more likely than not) but French wine and food are excellent if you can access it onshore ( unclear what winery AMA will be sponsoring on board, however) , and perhaps historic sites such as Normandy may be even more poignant to see if it is drizzling. You would also be with your friends, which can lift up an otherwise dreary weather cruise.

But if you have a serious Seasonal Affective Disorder variant and need to get out of the cold and gray no matter what, ( I am spoiled here in CA) November in northern France is not the place to be unless you have some luck.

We did an AMA wine cruise on the Danube in November and it was cold and grey and I wished we had been there one month earlier. AMA did a good job, lovely ship, had mostly seamless service The winery rep on board was American ( St. Francis, Sonoma County excellent) but we also went to local Austrian wineries on shore excursions. I was a little surprized the ship did not sell the more upscale local wines on board, to have with dinner as an option if the wine being poured for free was mediocre. Unsure if you would have a similar arrangement in France on AMA.

We did a Seine river cruise Paris to Normandy the second week of May and it was too cool for us. It was too windy and cool to be on the top deck. Everyone on the cruise sat in the lounge anytime we were sailing. We prefer being outside when sailing so we can get better views and take better pictures. Our day in Normandy was windy, cool and rainy although the sun did come out in the afternoon.

I believe that a November cruise would be similar. Remember if you think you can sit in your cabin and see the sights, you are seeing only one side of the river and you may miss things. Also most river cruise lounges do not have couches or chairs arranged to offer the best outside viewing.

Edited by Shebely

Hi Kathy....don't know where upstate you're from, but I went to school in Syracuse.....I would say temps. in Normandy and Syracuse would be similar in November, but you won't get the snow!!! For me personally, we were at Normandy in Sept. and it was pouring, windy and definitely hoodie weather....not my cup of tea when traveling. And missing the Gardens would be a deciding factor. They are outstanding.

Edited by Hydrokitty

Thanks everyone for your comments! Hydrokitty, we live in the Rochester area, pretty similar to Syracuse only we get less snow most winters! I agree that the weather in northern France is probably similar to what we have. That's not a deal killer for me; we know how to dress in layers! The main interest we had in this particular cruise was that the wine expert is from the NY Finger Lakes region, an area we know quite well, and it would be interesting to hear her perspective on French wines. But for me the highlight of the Seine cruise is the visit to Giverny and Monet's gardens; I don't know why it hadn't occurred to me yet that it would be closed. Thank you Got2Cruise for pointing that out. So Giverny trumps the wine cruise for us!

It isn't clear why not going with your friends means not considering AMA. Even without the wine cruise special, they offer an excellent experience with very good wines freely flowing at lunch and dinner.

It isn't clear why not going with your friends means not considering AMA. Even without the wine cruise special, they offer an excellent experience with very good wines freely flowing at lunch and dinner.

Jazzbeau: why are you working? You should be playing with the blue footed boobys or something!! GO...you're on vacation!!!! :D

Jazzbeau, I didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't choose an AMA cruise. Vantage, Avalon, and AMA all have good deals on 2015 Seine cruises. We did a Danube cruise with Avalon in 2014 and were very happy with them, but we would be open to the other two as well. DH and I still work and have very busy schedules, so we will start with the dates that work best for us then look at what's available among the three lines. Based on what I've read on Cruisecritic, I know we would be happy with any of them.

AMA did a good job, lovely ship, had mostly seamless service The winery rep on board was American ( St. Francis, Sonoma County excellent) but we also went to local Austrian wineries on shore excursions. I was a little surprized the ship did not sell the more upscale local wines on board, to have with dinner as an option if the wine being poured for free was mediocre. Unsure if you would have a similar arrangement in France on AMA.

The served California wine on a cruise through one of the premier European wine growing regions? :(:mad:

As to the weather in Northern France in November. It may be not quite as cold as upstate NY, but it is a lot rainier, grey skies, drizzle and wind.

If you want to get the most out of the Seine cruise don't go in November we did the cruise with Scenic earlier in the year when everything was open. The weather will not be of the best quite dismal in fact, we are just over the channel and know how to wrap up but you will not see Normondy at its best. Just think this is someone English recommending that this is not the best time to visit an area of France!

CA

Edited by Canal archive

The served California wine on a cruise through one of the premier European wine growing regions? :(:mad:

They serve local wines on all their cruises, but the Wine Cruises also include a special wine industry expert -- and these tend to be from California because the CA wineries know how to market (and have the volume to make it worthwhile). DW and I actually got into cruising because of a promotion by a CA negotiant who was the expert on an Oceania cruise in the Med -- we ended up taking the same itinerary at a better time (for weather) and a lower price (not paying his fee). AMA at least doesn't charge extra for the wine cruises.

Jazzbeau: why are you working? You should be playing with the blue footed boobys or something!! GO...you're on vacation!!!! :D

I'm retired, so now I do three things: (1) travel, (2) plan travel, (3) talk about travel. No reason you can't do all three at once!

Having been to Pas-de-Calais, just North of Normandy, and the English coast opposite in all seasons and all weathers I would not want to go on this cruise in November either. Paris is fine in November, but the river landscape? It does not sound appealing.

I'm retired, so now I do three things: (1) travel, (2) plan travel, (3) talk about travel. No reason you can't do all three at once!

I would love to join you in this wonderful triad of pastimes. :):):) At least for a few weeks. ;) Would make the following months of money-making more bearable.

With the next local vineyards just eight kilometres down the road from me I sort of have my problems with the idea of Californian wine on a French cruise. But of course it makes sense to have a wine-expert on board. California wine is "all around me" in the nationwide supermarkets that have local branches.

notamermaid

With the next local vineyards just eight kilometres down the road from me I sort of have my problems with the idea of Californian wine on a French cruise. But of course it makes sense to have a wine-expert on board. California wine is "all around me" in the nationwide supermarkets that have local branches.

notamermaid

The approach AMA takes with their wine cruises is to bring about hosts (unusually vineyard owners or winemakers) and educate about wine.

We have taken two, with both hosted by California wineries. We blind tasted local wines and compared them to the same varietals in the wines brought about by the CA winemakers. We went to vineyards for tastings, had a winemakers dinner and many day time wine tastings.

This gal would much rather drink French and Italian wines in general than CA wines and it was fun to compare the style of winemaking as well as the wines themselves.

Next year we are looking at the Portugal itinerary on a wine cruise.

Life is really good now isn't it...:D Give my love to the blue footed boobies....seriously they are the cutest birds next to penguins!!!

Note to myself:

Do not cruise on rivers north of the Alps in November. Do not participate in a "California" wine cruise surrounded by local vineyards, never mind the on-ship expert. ;)

I'm with you on all points. As I live in the tropics my blood is too thin for northern winters and as an Aussie although I'm very proud of our "down under wines" I certainly don't travel to a foreign wine region to drink my own countries wines. That simply would be a waste of time and more importantly money.

Closes Oct 31--did this cruise at the end of Oct/early November; Viking substituted Napoleon & Josephine's palace--which entailed a bus ride almost all the way back to Paris. We had 2 days pre-cruise in Paris; and 3 post cruise. Rain only two days; heavy in Paris; light in Normandy.

We went the other direction early this past October: Honfleur to Paris, six nights. It happened the weather was ideal. We were glad for that order of things, beginning with the profoundly moving Normandy Beaches experience, right through nighttime gliding through Paris the last evening. A life-memory for us both.