Solo booking with Emerald or Scenic

Go2See

Just tried to book a trip on both Scenic and Emerald Waterways as a solo passenger. The representative told me that on Emerald if you want a regular cabin not just the ONE cabin for solo travelers, you must always pay for two people.

He said sometimes but not often they have single rates on Scenic, but only really close to the cruise departure date. Or on a few select trips at less peak times.

He pretty much discouraged me from traveling solo on their ships from the things he said.

I was surprised. Is this normal for these two companies (they are sister companies)?

I have not travelled with either but I did take a quick look at the Scenic web site and they definitely offer a singles price that whist higher than the per person price is certainly not twice the price. May I suggest you either change TA's or inquire via the web site and perhaps book the cruise yourself.

Both lines do only have one single cabin on most (probably all) of their ships.

It is the norm across all lines, not just Scenic and Emerald, for single use of a double/twin cabin to be much closer to twice the per person price of two in a normal cabin.

But most of them do have occasional special offers where the single supplement is waived or greatly reduced. I don't know if Scenic or Emerald do this.

I tried (via a TA) both Scenic and Uniworld; Uniworld waived the single supplement on some sailings and Scenic basically laughed and it is few and far between. So I shall experience river cruising for first time on Uniworld this year and plan to post as I've seen little on their newest ship here so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got an email from AMA that they are waiving single supplements on all 2015 and 2016 river cruises in Europe, including Wine Cruises:

http://portal.criticalimpact.com/vm2/611431d8f78584ab/24875/9a815a65165ef5413947229f28c3afba

Maybe one would fit your needs.