Viking Optional Excursions

zukecruiser

Will be on the Grand European Cruise at the end of June 2015, first river cruise. Wondering about the costs of optional tours through Viking. I know they can vary from city to city and type of tour but approximate costs or any pro/con comments of these tours would be appreciated.

Mike

Will be on the Grand European Cruise at the end of June 2015, first river cruise. Wondering about the costs of optional tours through Viking. I know they can vary from city to city and type of tour but approximate costs or any pro/con comments of these tours would be appreciated.

Mike

This is the PDF available on the Viking website. http://wpc.475d.edgecastcdn.net/00475D/passenger_documentation/2015/Rivers/15GRAEURAMS_Grand_European_Tour_AMS-BUD.pdf

It describes both the included and optional tours at each port, including cost.

Hope you have a wonderful trip.

FM

We are also going on this itinerary (starting in Budapest Oct 10) and do have the PDF with the info on the additional tours, but would appreciate feedback from anyone who has gone on any of them. Value for money? Are the included tours sufficient or will we wish we had spent the extra money or feel we have missed something if we don't?

The only one I am definitely doing is the one to Rothenburg.

Thanks,

Barb (& Wayne)

I'm actually currently on this cruise and the PDF doesn't include some of the new optional and alternative excursions available. Today for example a Franconia countryside tour was offered in Bamberg that wasn't originally listed by Viking. Also in Vienna an evening backstage tour was added at the Vienna's boy choir.

I also did the new added culinary tour in Miltenberg. This tour does the exact walking tour offered in Miltenberg but adds a culinary component. That tour only cost 12 Euros and you tried schnapps, cake, chocolate, and received a bottle of beer.

Yesterday I did the Rothenburg tour and I highly recommend it. The village is fun to walk around and look at on your own. There is a German lunch involved also.

Tomorrow I'm actually going on the Nuremberg tour, unless something changes. We had a delay today due to an oil spill in the lock ahead of us, which delayed ships sailing in the Bamberg area today.

Lastly if any of you are interested, I am writing a blog. There is more information there about some of the optional or alternative tours. Here is the link to it, I'm just behind a day for posting: https://travellindsay.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the link to your blog, Contemporary Traveler! I plan to spend the afternoon soaking it up! I see you mentioned Rick Steves - we will be doing our river cruise after a 12 day Rick Steves tour of Berlin, Prague & Vienna.

Suspaul, have a wonderful trip - hope you will post about it on your return. We will also be leaving from Budapest and I know the timing of things will be a little different from the opposite itinerary.

Barb (& Wayne)