Expect high water on the Danube river

steamboats

... during the next few days.

We did have lots of rain over the last few days in the South (meaning the Alps region and also here in Munich). Our local river (Isar) is on flood stage close to level 2. The Isar river is a tributary of the Danube river which is also already pretty high. Some river gauges are close to high water level 1. The Danube river is still going up. So are all tributaries coming from the South. This might last on for a couple of days. The authorities expect the crest during the weekend. The Vilshofen river gauge is close to high water level 1. Passau is expected to stay slightly below high water level 1.

steamboats

What level signifcantly impacts navigation for cruise ships?

KNowing it will be High Water Level 1, or level 2, doesn't really mean very much to most of us, without some knowledge of what levels prevent many cruise ships getting under bridges.

The warning levels are in place so that the emergency services and other organisations know where, when and how to respond.

Some water levels in Passau and their impact:

6.30 m - Some cruise ships cannot pass under the suspension bridge.

7.00 m - First warning level, as "steamboats" said, in Passau water level is currently just under this mark.

7.25 m - Low lying streets start to flood

7.40 m - Second warning level in place.

7.70 m - Third warning level in place, more areas flooded.

7.80 m - All river traffic offically stopped.

8.50 m - Fourth warning level.

12.9 m - The millenium flood from June 2013 has been topped.

Edited by G.M.T.

It's been raining all day here in Passau, Danube has risen about 10 cm (4 inches), due to peak about 12:00 today at just under the first warning level of 7.00 meters. After 12:00 the Danube should start falling. Weatherwise, it will be raining the next couple of days, but only light drizzle nothing heavy.

In Passau yesterday (Saturday) I saw both cruise and cargo boats moving in both directions, no flooding at all.

I would like to thank both steamboats and G.M.T. for their up to date reporting on the flooding.

I remember doing a Xmas cruise where we were put up in a hotel in Cologne. I turned on the TV and a reporter was saying "hoch wasser" (high water) and he was outside our hotel!

Please keep us informed. We leave Tuesday for our Danube River cruise which begins June 1 and I know rain is expected this week. Getting nervous

I'm getting a little nervous too, going the opposite direction at the same time as you.

But I'm liking the look of the posts since yours :)

Edited by Im_not_creative