Airport Layover Time Too Short?

catbird46

I am a long time lurker that appreciates all the information I have collected over the years!!!

We are going on a Avalon Cruise the end of October, Budapest to Prague. We are gathering flight info. Is it feasible to change planes in Frankfort with a 1hr 30 minute layover? What exactly do we need to do when changing planes in Europe to continue to Budapest and how much time might we need?

Thanks!

Are you flying into Frankfurt from the U.S. Or from someplace in Europe??? 90 minutes might be legal but if you are flying from the US and that flight is delayed at all you will be in trouble.... For myself I would want a minimum of 2hrs or more. Very very large airport and you (and your bags) need to make it from the International gates to the Domestic gates and go thru passport control and security a couple of times!

Edited by JVilleGal

If you are coming from the US or a non Schengen country, you will need to clear passport control before your flight to Bidapest. As to time, it depends on so many things. Any delay with your incoming flight, how long it takes you to get off the flight, how far you will have to walk between gates and how long the line is for passport control. FRA is a very large airport. Are you flying Lufthansa?

We did LA to Frankfort last year with Lufthansa and on with then to Prague for Avalon cruise. We had 2 hrs and it was ok, lucky plane was on time, any less time and we could of been in a panic.

Try to avoid tight changeovers as we have got older, 10 years ago I was happy for 1hr and run from plane to plane

Is it feasible to change planes in Frankfort with a 1hr 30 minute layover?

That is significantly more than the minimum connection time allowed at Frankfurt (Frankfort is in Kentucky, or Kansas or New York and other states, but not Germany:) )

The better question to ask is how many flights are there after your arrival time that will get you to your destination?

If you are on Lufthansa for both flights then they will take care of you and move you to another flight if delays mean you will miss your scheduled departure, but that does need there to be another flight to use.

If there are other flights later in the day to your destination from Frankfurt then I wouldn't worry about a 90 min connection, but if it is the only flight then I'd try and get a longer gap.

Similarly if you need extra time to reach your gate due to mobility issues or similar then do let the airline know and see if they can help with that.

Have not made definite reservations, but it looks like Lufthansa from Frankfort to Budapest.

I asked because last year we booked Lufthansa from LAX to FRA and then discovered that LH pilot union was in the process of negotiating and called for strikes from time to time. I really watched the situation closely and fortunately our flights were on days without strikes. However, the pilots and management are still negotiating. The pilots' union is not striking right now because of the Germanwings incident. Have no idea how long that will last or when strikes may start up again. Had I known before we booked, I would not have chosen Lufthansa. Some will say not to worry, the airline will rebook you and they will but we did not want to miss any days of our vacation waiting for an available seat. Other than the strike issues, LH is a good choice.

IMO and IME, I would never accept a connection shorter than 2 + hours in Frankfurt.

When we flew via FRA 2 years ago, we parked on the tarmac as there were no gates, then waited for buses. We did not even get to passport control until 45 minutes after we landed. We ran to our connection, which was scheduled for 90 minutes after our arrival. Never again.

I am a long time lurker that appreciates all the information I have collected over the years!!!

We are going on a Avalon Cruise the end of October, Budapest to Prague. We are gathering flight info. Is it feasible to change planes in Frankfort with a 1hr 30 minute layover? What exactly do we need to do when changing planes in Europe to continue to Budapest and how much time might we need?

Thanks!

I would take a longer layover in Frankfurt. It's very confusing. We had to take an elevator. We changed from Air Canada to Lufthansa to Prague. Lufthansa has a nice waiting lounge and there is a sandwich bar nearby.

Frankfurt IS a big airport. Your flight coming in will probably be at a main terminal, but you will probably have to take a shuttle to catch your flight to Budapest.

We flew in from Philly, and didn't have to collect luggage as we flew Lufthansa for both legs. It was a very long walk to the gate we needed to be at, but passport control was very quick. I think we had 4 hours in-between and that was too long, way too long. However, from Nuremberg to Frankfurt and then on to Philly our flight was delayed and we only had a 50 minute window at Frankfurt to begin with. We would have never made it if it wasn't for the fact my husband has a mobility disability and I had a cart waiting to take us to the next gate. Even with that the plane had almost fully boarded by time we got to the gate.

catbird46, just a suggestion unless you're set on flying Lufthansa. We are doing a Viking river cruise next month from Budapest and we're flying KLM from Houston to Amsterdam then on to Budapest. We have at least 2.5 hrs between flights and feel very comfortable with this. Just thought you may want to look at other options and airlines.

Lots of good tips here--especially then one to "allow at minimum 90 minutes to change flights". All I would add is the the folks at FRA and especially Lufthansa have their act together--something many US carriers could learn from. Plus almost everybody in this process speaks fluent English. Relax and enjoy a fun experience.

Have not made definite reservations, but it looks like Lufthansa from Frankfort to Budapest.

We fly Lufthansa all the time....and love it. Changing in Frankfurt can be dicey. You could do it in 90 minutes, but that allows for no delays or hiccups. I would feel better with a 2 hour lay-over. You will have to go through security again because you are transferring from International to "domestic" (it isn't really but for want of a better description) Frankfurt is a huge airport, just follow the signs for connecting flights. DO NOT follow signs for baggage pick-up. If you land at 5:30 a.m. (which is when flight from JFK gets in) the airport will be pretty deserted and unless you're flying business class and can go to their lounge, you may have difficulty finding any kind of food. do you know your routing from home airport yet?

J'ville Gal offers excellent advice....if at all possible book your way from home to Budapest on the same airline or at least carriers that are in the same alliance. If you cannot, I would try to change carriers in the US rather than Frankfurt.

Edited by Hydrokitty

We are arriving into Frankfurt on Air Canada from Montreal in December with only a 1 hour and 15 layover until our next flight (Lufthansa) from Frankfurt to Budapest.

Do you think this is sufficient time to change from one international flight to the next on different carriers? Our luggage is being checked all the way to Budapest. Using Star Alliance carriers to fly Business class with our United Miles. Hopefully going out from same Int. Terminal.

We are arriving into Frankfurt on Air Canada from Montreal in December with only a 1 hour and 15 layover until our next flight (Lufthansa) from Frankfurt to Budapest.

Do you think this is sufficient time to change from one international flight to the next on different carriers? Our luggage is being checked all the way to Budapest. Using Star Alliance carriers to fly Business class with our United Miles. Hopefully going out from same Int. Terminal.

If you and everyone in your party is healthy and able to walk fast, AND there are no delays anywhere along the way, you'll probably be ok. I would feel better with a minimum 2 hour lay-over.....you have no idea how large Frankfurt airport is! And since you're flying in December you have to take snow into consideration. You will land in Frankfurt in the International arrivals terminal and walk to the departure terminal for European departures, where you will be bused to the actual plane. You will NOT be going from the same terminal. I use a w/c in airports and this helps a great deal, but for everyone else I swear the two terminals are in different countries! Plus you will need to go through passport control and security, neither of which takes as long as it does here. And another thing, since you're spending all those miles to fly BC, it would be a shame to miss the Lufthansa BC lounge and the fantastic b-fast buffet they put out...:D

No.... Sorry but no or possibly with a miracle, but no!

Europe is different WRT what's "International" vs not. The Schengen agreement effectively dissolves the borders between its constituent countries so that you can move between these countries without passport control. So even though Germany and Hungary are different countries, a flight between them is not treated as "international" for purposes of immigration.

Upon arrival in FRA you will land in the Non-Schengen (international) terminal, and clear immigration (passport control) at that time. You will then enter the Schengen Zone, and from then on, you'll stay in the Schengen Terminal. Since Germany and Hungary are both Schengen countries, your flight to Hungary will be from the Schengen terminal, and you'll NOT pass through passport control upon arrival in Budapest. You'll pick up your bags, clear customs, and that's it.

It is likely (but I'm not 100% certain) that you'll pass through security again in Frankfurt upon changing terminals. We have not changed planes there in a few years, but we're finding that other large European airports are doing this less than they used to (CDG, AMS for example).

Still, I think that 1:15 is very tight for FRA especially when changing from Non-Schengen to Schengen. I agree with prior posters; the place is huge. I like flying into FRA and catching the train.

Paradoxically, it would be easier to fly into FRA and change to another Non-Schengen flight (like Istanbul). In that case, you wouldn't leave the terminal. Good luck with your planning!

Here is a link that explains Schengen.

Edited by jpalbny

It is likely (but I'm not 100% certain) that you'll pass through security again in Frankfurt upon changing terminals. We have not changed planes there in a few years, but we're finding that other large European airports are doing this less than they used to (CDG, AMS for example).

Here is a link that explains Schengen.

You will have to pass through security again in Frankfurt. But it's a lot faster and less formal than in the initial departure city and of course you won't have luggage. We went though FRA a few months ago and they just checked ticket, passport and put carry on through scanner and took my empty water bottle!!

Budapest is much easier of course, but they can be very slow delivering luggage to the terminal.

I went through Frankfurt a few months ago and you definitely have to go through passport control when changing planes, unless Germany is NOT your first point of entry. But it's not quite as formal as your departure city. They checked my ticket and passport, sent my backpack through the scanner and took my empty water bottle! One thing about Budapest: sometimes they can be very slow getting your bags from the plane to the terminal. I waited almost an hour last time.

Thanks everyone.

We are flying out of Knoxville TN, so we will have 2 plane changes going and coming home. We do not use 3rd party, but will book direct with the airline.

A search my daughter did online came up with United being the least expensive and using Lufthansa and Swiss Air as code share flights. I have lots of points but may save them for another family trip the end of the year.

The first search came up with the very short times to change planes. Washington 1hr20 andFrankfort 1hr30 A call to United also produced the same flights. I told the United Rep that is was probably not likely that was enough time, he said it was. Another schedule produced at least 2hr layovers with the plane change in Munich.

We are still looking at all our options. Glenna

Thanks everyone.

We are flying out of Knoxville TN, so we will have 2 plane changes going and coming home. We do not use 3rd party, but will book direct with the airline.

A search my daughter did online came up with United being the least expensive and using Lufthansa and Swiss Air as code share flights. I have lots of points but may save them for another family trip the end of the year.

The first search came up with the very short times to change planes. Washington 1hr20 andFrankfort 1hr30 A call to United also produced the same flights. I told the United Rep that is was probably not likely that was enough time, he said it was. Another schedule produced at least 2hr layovers with the plane change in Munich.

We are still looking at all our options. Glenna

Glenna: Stick to your guns. If you need to change at Munich to get a longer lay-over, it's worth the piece of mind.