Hotel at Heathrow

Capri73

We have had nice stays at the Hilton Heathrow, directly connected to terminal 4. Food, service, ambiance was good. Price about what you would expect. Will stay there again next time needed.

Agree on the Hilton. "Smiths for Airports" great service to and from Southampton. Charge one way 70 GB Pounds in May this year.

Also agree re Hilton. There is a covered walkway connecting the terminal to the hotel. It is sporty in the Winter being quite drafty.

Hotel itself is fine and is typical Hilton perhaps a bit on the modern side.

I have stayed at both the Hilton (T4) and the Sofitel (T5). Both were fine for what they were ... decent quality airport hotels.

When we stayed at the Sofitel we arranged with friends to pick us up and take us for dinner. The deal was ... they drive ... we pay. We went to a lovely country restaurant near to Windsor. Cannot remember the name but there are some great restaurants not too far from the airport if you can organise it.

Here's an alternative: The Mercure in the center of Windsor. It's a 10 minute cab ride to the Heathrow terminal. Windsor is charming, full of history and lots of good pubs and restaurants. And I agree that Smith's is a good car service to Southampton.

I've stayed at the Hilton Terminal 4 and Terminal 5. If you are a true fan of Indian cuisine, it is worthwhile to stay at the Terminal 5 Hilton so you can eat at Mr. Todiwala's. It is the best Indian food I have eaten, and far better than the Michelin-starred Indian restaurant I ate at in London. It is worth the possible extra taxi fare to go to it....

If you decide on this option, make advance reservations at Todiwala's.

We've stayed at the Sofitel Hotel at Heathrow several times and like it so much we have additional reservations for next year.

It is a short walk to/from Terminal 5 and you walk inside and it is a beautiful hotel with great service and it is very quiet both inside and outside the hotel.

Probably the best airport hotel I have ever stayed at to date.

When it comes to transportation Smith's will offer you lower prices compared to some. I've only used them once. And they were recommended by some on the British Isles board so they might be very good. The driver we had was good. I just had two concerns with them. The size car they brought was much smaller than I expected. He got the luggage in the vehicle but at first I didn't know how he would do it. We had pad but he arrived to the hotel later than what I requested. Both of these could be an aberration as there are plenty of people who like them but I just wanted to note that.

A service that we have used which will cost more than Smith's but one we were very pleased with is Woodford Chauffeurs.

Their web site is: http://www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk

On the web site is an e mail address where you can correspond and get quotes. You will hear back relatively quickly from Cheryl.

Price out a few services and then make your decision.

One final piece of advice. Sometimes the drive to Southampton can take a lot of time because of weather/traffic. So give yourself extra time to get there.

Keith

One final piece of advice. Sometimes the drive to Southampton can take a lot of time because of weather/traffic. So give yourself extra time to get there.

Good advice for any journey by road that starts, ends or includes Heathrow. The approach roads are notorious for unpredictable traffic chaos. In fact, 2 years ago we spent 2 hours in stationary traffic trying to reach Heathrow and eventually arrived with only one hour to spare for a flight to Hong Kong. We now always travel the day before and stay overnight at the Renaissance (using a deal that includes car parking). It is an adequate, if unexceptional, hotel with a frequent shuttle service to each of the 5 terminals.

Given free-flowing traffic the journey from LHR to S'ton port should take maybe an hour and a half. It is wise to expect it to take twice that especially if any part of the journey is between 7 and 10 am or 4 to 7 pm.

Sorry to sound curmudgeonly but the Heathrow area is vile with a transport infrastructure that is simply inadequate.

Another vote for the Sofitel. If you are flying in or out of Terminal 5, there is a covered walkway. It will only take 2 minutes, and there are luggage trolleys at the reception area.

It's restaurants are good, service too, and it was so quiet. The best airport hotel I have ever stayed in.

There are several nice hotels from the usual chains available from T1-3, BUT that means a ride on the slow, expensive, inconvenient, pain-in-the-neck, usually standing room only, "Hopper" bus. And you can't take a cab!

Worth staying at the hotels attached to either T4 or T5.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm with Keith1010 -- the Sofitel at LHR's Terminal 5 is one of the best airport hotels we've ever stayed at. We're regulars; nice bar scene, good French restaurant (though haven't been to it since Michel Roux relationship ended), easy access to terminal. Great spa! Lovely afternoon tea as well.

Carolyn

We've stayed at the Sofitel Hotel at Heathrow several times and like it so much we have additional reservations for next year.

It is a short walk to/from Terminal 5 and you walk inside and it is a beautiful hotel with great service and it is very quiet both inside and outside the hotel.

Probably the best airport hotel I have ever stayed at to date.

When it comes to transportation Smith's will offer you lower prices compared to some. I've only used them once. And they were recommended by some on the British Isles board so they might be very good. The driver we had was good. I just had two concerns with them. The size car they brought was much smaller than I expected. He got the luggage in the vehicle but at first I didn't know how he would do it. We had pad but he arrived to the hotel later than what I requested. Both of these could be an aberration as there are plenty of people who like them but I just wanted to note that.

A service that we have used which will cost more than Smith's but one we were very pleased with is Woodford Chauffeurs.

Their web site is: www.woodfordchauffeurcars.co.uk

On the web site is an e mail address where you can correspond and get quotes. You will hear back relatively quickly from Cheryl.

Price out a few services and then make your decision.

Keith

It's important to know which Terminal you will be using. Heathrow is a big airport and T's 4 and 5 have nearby hotels but are a long way from the main "hub", T1, T2 and T3 where there are no hotels. There is inter-terminal subway and road transport and many hotels have their own courtesy bus service but it's a good idea to check where you'll need to be. For an easy overnight stay we like the Marriott which is located about halfway between T1,2,3 and T5 and has a regular courtesy bus. T4 is on the opposite side of the airport. At the end of the day an airport hotel is an airport hotel so better to pick a convenient location.