Antarctica: Questions About Cabin Selection

whystayhome

We have a cabin on hold for the January 2017 Quest sailing to Antarctica. So far on Seabourn, my husband and I have sailed in a verandah, taking pot luck with an OB. We have not been disappointed in the cabins we have been given. We enjoy having a drink on the balcony every evening before dinner and having dinner out there as well on occasion. It's very romantic, even after 40 years together.

For the Antarctica adventure, I will be traveling with my sister-in-law, so romance is not a consideration. However, price is somewhat of a factor.

On the advice of the Seabourn representative, at the moment I have chosen a deck 4, midship, picture window cabin on the starboard side. The rep told me that starboard, low, and center were the most desirable factors for this itinerary, for the scenery and the possible roughness of the seas. She said that many of the starboard cabins were already reserved, particularly in the lower price ranges. If we did a verandah OB, we would most likely get a port side cabin and would risk getting the V1's in the very front.

The agent also said we would probably not use our balcony very much, as it would too cold. True while we are in Antarctica, and sailing back and forth, but the rest of the cruise should be rather warm. However, to reserve a balcony in a desirable location would be at least $4,000 more per person at this point.

I would appreciate some advice from folks who have done Antarctica and those who have sailed in A1's in general.

Also, if you can stand another question, how do you feel about booking directly with Seabourn? Usually we transfer our booking to an agent after putting a preliminary hold on the cabin and get a discount/cabin credit, but I need a new travel agent. I called around and was told there are no discounts at this point. The Seabourn rep said if there were any discounts available later, I could call them directly and our fare would be adjusted or we would be given cabin credit. Any thoughts on this?

Thank you all for your input. I am so excited. This past summer I surveyed at least 10 Odyssey officers and they all said the Antarctica cruise was the greatest experience of all of Seabourn's itineraries.

Linda

We had a port cabin with a veranda on deck 7 midship..

We used the veranda quite a bit, especially when there was an iceberg (starboard missed it), and we had our own private view, and when we were at some of the glaciers and the OBs bar became crowded. TBH I don't really think that either side of the ship had a better view anywhere.. in Antarctica itself you are in small bays etc so both sides have a great view.

I did consider a deck 4 but the ability to quickly step outside from your suite and take photos then go back in was a definite plus so to me a verandah was a no brainer. Movement in our suite was not excessive and there were very signficant seas crossing Drake.

I also am not a fan of the odour on deck 4. I would not risk an OB though (we were offered a PH upgrade which I was glad we declined) as they closed the elevators and OBs bar due to seas....

Only you can decide if the extra $$ are worth it... they were for us

We had a port cabin with a veranda on deck 7 midship..

We used the veranda quite a bit, especially when there was an iceberg (starboard missed it), and we had our own private view, and when we were at some of the glaciers and the OBs bar became crowded. TBH I don't really think that either side of the ship had a better view anywhere.. in Antarctica itself you are in small bays etc so both sides have a great view.

I did consider a deck 4 but the ability to quickly step outside from your suite and take photos then go back in was a definite plus so to me a verandah was a no brainer. Movement in our suite was not excessive and there were very significant seas crossing Drake.

I also am not a fan of the odour on deck 4. I would not risk an OB though (we were offered a PH upgrade which I was glad we declined) as they closed the elevators and OBs bar due to seas....

Only you can decide if the extra $$ are worth it... they were for us

Thank you Mrs. Waldo. Very helpful points to consider. Did not think about the possibility of a Deck 4 odor. Just hit a storm in the North Atlantic on Crystal, and the higher you were, the worse it was. So when the agent told me it was better to stay low, it seemed like a good idea. I think the agent's point about being on the starboard side was geared more to the Patagonia portion of the cruise.

Did you spend much time lounging on your balcony?

Linda

We had 641 on our first cruise and 429 this last cruise. As you may know, without the verandah the suites are identical.

While I prefer having a verandah, we were not disappointed with the A1 suite.

I would not hesitate to get an A1 again.

I did not experience any odour but DW said she did on one occasion.

Antarctica is still on the bucket list so can't comment on the use of the balcony for this cruise, other than I do agree with MrsWaldo that being able to pop outside is a benefit.

I think the agent's point about being on the starboard side was geared more to the Patagonia portion of the cruise.

Did you spend much time lounging on your balcony?

Linda

No not lounging but that was case there was so match going on In terms of lectures etc

The Patagonia bit the agent has based it on the ship heading in direct but we found the views to be equally impressive and we also did BA to Valparaiso The ship goes in and out of coves etc

We had 641 on our first cruise and 429 this last cruise. As you may know, without the verandah the suites are identical.

While I prefer having a verandah, we were not disappointed with the A1 suite.

I would not hesitate to get an A1 again.

I did not experience any odour but DW said she did on one occasion.

Antarctica is still on the bucket list so can't comment on the use of the balcony for this cruise, other than I do agree with MrsWaldo that being able to pop outside is a benefit.

Thank you all. I am so excited about this itinerary and have wanted to do it for years. As it happens, we have 429 on hold! I assume the odor was of the food cooking in the dining room.

I get up early and love going out on the balcony to catch the sunrise, but it looks like the sun will be rising ~ 1 AM in January so that won't be an issue.

Usually we book cruises sort of last minute, so having over a year to dream about this adventure will be just fabulous.

As soon as I put down our deposit, I suppose I will start a roll call. I usually do a travelogue for friends, but this last cruise my friends suggested I post it on CC as well. It was quite well received on the Crystal board, so I plan to bore/enthrall everyone with details of our Antarctic adventure as well.

Linda