Seabourn Odyssey - Restaurant

lincslady

Perhaps our American cousins think we are somewhat odd with our cutlery etiquette.

Kind regards,

Tony

I think the issue turns more on Pax overloading plates and then leaving food rather than cultural mores. Not good etiquette wherever you hail from.

However, this sidetrack seems to have run it's course. End of?

M

Shouldn't really come back again, but it is not putting a lot on your plate, but the juxtaposition of savoury and sweet foods, with scrambled egg and beans which are 'sloppy', landing on muffins and croissants. Just seems aesthetically displeasing, even though everything ends up in the same place inside! I know it is a long standing habit, have seen it many times. And to me, part of the joy of a Seabourn cruise is having various small courses, particularly at dinner, which is actually expected by the staff, and dirty plates happily dealt with. Often at home we have just the one main course for our evening meal, so the tiny starters, followed by maybe soup or salad, a main and small dessert is a real treat. And someone else to look after everything for you. Part of what you are paying for, IMO.

Well, without being the guardian of anyone else's plate, I do get the sense that the 'visual' may not have been appealing. Most Americans I know do not have 'courses' for breakfast.That said, items such as eggs & meat [& I guess that might include beans & tomatoes for UK] often are presented on 1 plate. Fresh fruit, if ordered, and breads[ rolls, toast,etc] usually are on a separate plates.

In the end, chaque a chacun ..and that includes both what you personally choose to do and how you view another's choices. I'm mostly with wripro but I must say that baked beans dripping off a croissant has no personal appeal.

You can sit outside in the fresh air and you can be waited on. You don't have to be in the lines. Any of the staff will serve you. Just ask and they will be happy to help. Judy and Steve

Thank you for staying on topic....

Due to restaurant now being open for breakfast and lunch on the Odyssey and Sojourn I wonder - is it just happenstance or does corporate read these threads, or are passengers making it very clear in their feedback that they don't appreciate the random closures? Anyway, hopefully the being open when advertised trend continues.

My personal theory is that it is because 7 night sailing season is over. If you read through the start of this thread, it seems to be most commonly encountered on the 7 night sailings in Europe.

And who in their right mind takes a seven day cruise[emoji14]

And who in their right mind takes a seven day cruise[emoji14]

1. people who still work fulltime and think they cannot be away from their jobs more than a few days at a time, e.g., if they run their own businesses or have high responsibility positions, but want a luxurious full-service break

2. people who think they cannot be away from their younger kids, or dogs more than a few days at a time

3. people who cannot easily be away from elderly relatives more than a few days at a time but want a respite

4. people who live far away, e.g., North Or South America or Australia, and for whom getting to and from Europe adds at least a couple days of vacation time both ways getting to and from ports of embarkation and disembarkation, plus time needed to recover from jetlag

5. people who want to combine land and sea trips but only have a couple weeks free at a time , (given other limitations noted)

6. people trying cruising for the first time, or a new cruise line for a first time, and want to test it out without huge commitments

7. people on financial budgets ( even on Seabourn) who have to go home to earn more money for cruising

8. people who want to treat a relative ( like an old mom or dad or sister who just recovered from cancer) to a special treat but do not want to be stuck with them for weeks on end.

Cruisers are a diverse lot! Having said that, it'd be nice if they could experience the MDR open for breakfast and lunch even on a one week cruise.

My own preference, if I were retired, ( I am still unwilling to do that yet and DH most certainly is not) would be longer cruises, e.g., 3-4 weeks at a time, but for now, at least 10-14 days, as one week is just barely enough time to unpack and get settled in!

I prefer that all my cruises be at least 10 days, especially on Seabourn. Sadly that's not a business reality as I'm merely mid-career and still a couple decades away from retirement, even early retirement.

Fortunately I can find ways to work still while traveling. Still, being gone for more than two weeks where I am not available to travel to my clients is a strain. I'm planning ahead for my transatlantic in the spring since it will essentially take me out of client travel for a full three weeks AND away from the conference call loop for nearly two. I'm just hoping the internet is at least functional, even if it means getting up really early to use it!

• 4 weeks later...
Our closed MDR [b.L] occurred on a 10 day and a 12 day Med cruise.

I am happy with the recent reports of its being open and will wait and see.

On our recent (November ) 12 day Caribbean cruise, the MDR was open every day for breakfast and lunch. They only used one side of the restaurant on these occasions.