Seabourn Odyssey - 6 Stars or NOT

NZbelle

It is only recently that their website had an English version. I know I've visited in the past and dismissed on the grounds that I could find an English translation. I also found them very expensive, certainly more so than SB.

I've just popped onto their website again and it has a horrible drop down bar that descends every time you scroll upwards.

They obviously don't think English speaking punters have enough cash for the private jet Charabang trips. When you ask for "English" it throws you off and sends you back to the main site :)

Henry :)

Perhaps they're earning so little they can't afford to properly QA the site before making it live;)

I've just popped onto their website again and it has a horrible drop down bar that descends every time you scroll upwards.

Utterly irrelevant, but Selfridges website does that for me every time. It is rather annoying.

Back to Europa2, I requested a brochure because of the bad HL website. I received it within a couple of days of request.

Still, most of us expect half decent website these days.

I will give Europa 2 a try as soon as I'm able, but this year it's been very difficult to find an available itinerary that appeals, the ship is cruising mostly to capacity. Or at least it seems that way.

My husband and I have just returned from 2 weeks on Europa 2 and found almost all of it just plain fabulous. Once I get past my jet lag I will post a review, but for now all I can say is that they really do deserve their #1 luxury spot.

I have been on but found the food a little disappointing.

I think growing a little moustache and parting my hair differently helped the crew accept me as a Brit.

Utterly irrelevant, but Selfridges website does that for me every time. It is rather annoying.

Back to Europa2, I requested a brochure because of the bad HL website. I received it within a couple of days of request.

Still, most of us expect half decent website these days.

I will give Europa 2 a try as soon as I'm able, but this year it's been very difficult to find an available itinerary that appeals, the ship is cruising mostly to capacity. Or at least it seems that way.

There is also a series of You Tube videos in English about the E2 that CC'r English Voyager posted on the Europa 2 thread in the Luxury Cruising forum. He has been on twice and loved it, posted a recent review. I go on December 19 with DH ( and his cameras), Capetown-Capetown for 15 days, for our first time on this ship, am very excited though dreading to fly so far ( SFO-Munich on LH then on to CPT, so many hours to get there!) I picked that E2 itinerary just because that is where the E2 will be at Xmas which is ASAP when we can go. I will have my lovely recent SB Odyssey experience to compare it with and decide which is more 6 stars!

It is only recently that their website had an English version. I know I've visited in the past and dismissed on the grounds that I could find an English translation. I also found them very expensive, certainly more so than SB.

They obviously don't think English speaking punters have enough cash for the private jet Charabang trips. When you ask for "English" it throws you off and sends you back to the main site :)

I don't know which website you have been looking at, but there is a completely English website that contains full details for all four ships, and their itineraries.

For the Europa 2, the listed itineraries extend to March 2017.

This website does not permit the posting of the URL.

Just Google search Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, and the full English language website should be top of the list of options.

Edited by English Voyager

We all look forward to reading your review. One question - does it help to speak German? And if one doesn't, does one feel a bit out of it at all?

On the second of my recent back to back cruises, I was the only English speaking guest on board.

The full complement of English language services were provided including the Captain's daily address from the bridge.

The Port Lecturer provided his lectures on a one to one basis.

Even the Shore Excursion Office advised that if I wished to join a German language guided tour they would provided a member of staff to translate for me.

I found on both my cruises that the German guests were very friendly.

Depending on the time of day, a Guten Morgen, or Guten Tag when passing someone always seems to produce a smile and an acknowledgement.

Edited by English Voyager

I must confess that, however accommodating and helpful the staff on board were, I would not want to be in what is almost bound to be a very small minority of passengers not speaking English. Even though we are not madly sociable, we do enjoy chat with fellow passengers and staff; it is part of the pleasure of the cruise.

I must confess that, however accommodating and helpful the staff on board were, I would not want to be in what is almost bound to be a very small minority of passengers not speaking English. Even though we are not madly sociable, we do enjoy chat with fellow passengers and staff; it is part of the pleasure of the cruise.

The staff on board the Europa 2 are bi-lingual, so one can easily chat with them in English.

Most of the German guests I met on board spoke English, and I was able to chat with them.

The proportion of native English speaking guests on board will obviously vary from cruise to cruise.

I must have misunderstood - your post gave me the impression that your conversation with fellow passengers was restricted to good morning and good day!

On Seabourn (for example) as the common language is English, we are usually able to have quite in depth conversations with people from other European countries, as they are generally good English speakers (not lazy like us Brits).

I lived in Germany for three years, and learned German at my local Volkshochschule (adult continuing education) - Deutsch als fremdsprache (German as a foreign language). There are two reasons you won't have a problem speaking English on E2: most German speaker E2 passengers will have been educated in the pre-uni Gymnasium course. For them, English is the first language they learn past German. I never found a uni grad that didn't speak great English. Second is, Germans realize how limiting speaking only German is. They WANT to be proficient in what has become the world's lingua franca in the Internet age. In my German class, drawn from all over the world, when the instructor wanted to make a point she couldn't get across in German, she used English, knowing that most people in the world have a working English knowledge.

Post retirement, we will certainly try E2, and look forward to it.

I don't know which website you have been looking at, but there is a completely English website that contains full details for all four ships, and their itineraries.

For the Europa 2, the listed itineraries extend to March 2017.

This website does not permit the posting of the URL.

Just Google search Hapag-Lloyd Cruises, and the full English language website should be top of the list of options.

I went to try and book a Private Jet trip and it went all German on me. When I clicked the Union Flag it sent me back to the main site with a pop up note saying, "Go away you English peasant".

Ok so I might have made the last little bit up but the Private Jet booking are is German only.

We have a little place which overlooks Portsmouth harbour. We don't get many cruise ships but I noticed an unusual ship coming in a while ago and it was Europa 2. As it sailed out that night I had a good look through the observation binoculars and it looked very smart both inside and out.

The only thing I would say is cabin 826 draw the curtains next time :)

Inasmuch as I cannot find my last entry re this cruise (Ody, 12 days, Ft Laud return starting 9 Nov., 2015) and the questions that followed, I am posting here and now what's what:

1- on the port days the MDR has been open for breakfasts and lunch. A few people were there when I have passed by.

2- the Molton Brown liquid body soaps, colored, single use bottles are available. Just ask for them. I would hope that nonsense about their cutbacks etc ends.

3- the rectangular plated guac, olives, ham etc in the Observation Bar is what was formerly in buffet dishes for the taking. So I hope the nonsense about this and those uninformed, silly and unfair Crystal comparisons end.

4- I am happy with the following wines that are complimentary- whites as Mondavi Chardonnay, Stags Leap Chardonnay, Wingspan Sauvignon Blanc and Santa Margarita Pinot Grigio. The reds are Light Horse Pinot Noir, Sirius, Avent Cabernet Sauvignon. I have not had any roses.

On another topic, that of 11 November's Armistice/Memorial Day, CD Heather Clancy conducted the service and sang magnificently. She is a treasure with her warmth, confidence, spontaneity and obvious talent.

Happy sailing!

H-L is finally making adjustments to market in the USA. Europa2 is first ship to offer everything in English as second language. All crew that deal with passengers can speak English and 90% of passengers if the care to.

First quarter of 2014 we're on Sojourn. Six months later, I'm talking with the executive chef and drinking with a bartender from Sojourn.....on Europa.

If you're booking in USA, do not pay in dollars.

Just off Crystal Serenity. Six restaurant employees + hotel manager known from Seabourn. Great experience.

If you see Europa ship in port, notice they always have the prime parking spot.