Video from our recent Monaco to Athens cruise

Able Seaman H

Another holiday video, this time from our recent Monaco to Athens 14 night trip on Sojourn.

Unlike previous videos I have have focused on the ports of call rather than the ship it's self. I feel I've covered the ship in the previous videos so wanted to capture what was a fairly port intensive trip.

Favourite ports of call? Valletta was stunning and I wasn't expecting anything like what greeted us as we entered. Calvi and Simi were quaint, lovely to wander around, Ephesus was breathtaking. You were transported back in time 2,000 years.

A full review of the cruise to follow but for now......

ECni035zTeM

Henry :)

Edited by Able Seaman H

Well done! You are very talented. It made me sad/happy to see, remembering our first SB cruise in 2012, on the Odyssey, Istanbul to Venice. Beautiful trip in every way. Maybe the first is the best, but I can't wait for Lisbon to Copenhagen on the Quest in May, thanks to your video. If only we didn't have to survive winter first.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I did a small lecture whilst on board showing people how to make videos like this. It isn't as difficult as it looks, everyone makes the same few mistakes and there are some cheats and rules that I've evolved.

It would be fun to do it on a more formal footing with workshops throughout the cruise so people could go home with their own memory to share.

It isn't as difficult as it looks, everyone makes the same few mistakes and there are some cheats and rules that I've evolved.

I guessed one of your cheats, it was putting one of the little sisters against the Regent ship :D:D

Thanks for yet another superb video, Henry.

Malta looks amazing, I'm very surprised.

PS, if you notice the YouTube view count on your Panama Canal video going up in the next couple of weeks, I'm partly responsible!

Have watched it a few times now and will be watching some more before we do that cruise this Christmas.

And I also showed my husband our South African cruise thanks to your excellent video from last Christmas. He missed the cruise because of work, but your video is the next best thing to having been there. Or so I told him, not that I was rubbing it in! ;)

Lovely video. It brought back so many memories of travel in those diverse areas, the contrasts, plus the excitement of having gone to a Formula One race in Monaco a couple years ago (though not with SB).

But I think your choice of music made the video even better. Who is the artist, and the name of the song? Must download onto my iphone!

Lovely video. It brought back so many memories of travel in those diverse areas, the contrasts, plus the excitement of having gone to a Formula One race in Monaco a couple years ago (though not with SB).

But I think your choice of music made the video even better. Who is the artist, and the name of the song? Must download onto my iphone!

Thank you !

The artist was John Legend and the song "All of Me".

Choosing a suitable backing track is crucial and I spend quite a long time on it often with songs changing as the video evolves. It sets the whole tone. This was another more up beat video from South Africa last year.

FOli5iSMdEE

Thanks for yet another superb video, Henry.

Malta looks amazing, I'm very surprised.

PS, if you notice the YouTube view count on your Panama Canal video going up in the next couple of weeks, I'm partly responsible!

Have watched it a few times now and will be watching some more before we do that cruise this Christmas.

And I also showed my husband our South African cruise thanks to your excellent video from last Christmas. He missed the cruise because of work, but your video is the next best thing to having been there. Or so I told him, not that I was rubbing it in! ;)

I was also surprised by Malta. Having never been there I assumed it was going to be more like Gibraltar. How wrong was I.... Valletta is a stunning city.

Fill your boots on the Panama Video, I can feel the heat beating down on me now as I type :)

I won't tell him what he missed on the South Africa trip if you don't. Let's pretend Cape Town and the garden route were horrible and focus on the coal terminal at Richards Bay !

Edited by Able Seaman H

I was also surprised by Malta. Having never been there I assumed it was going to be more like Gibraltar. How wrong was I.... Valletta is a stunning city.

Fill your boots on the Panama Video, I can feel the heat beating down on me now as I type :)

I won't tell him what he missed on the South Africa trip if you don't. Let's pretend Cape Town and the garden route were horrible and focus on the coal terminal at Richards Bay !

Definitely had the same pre-assumed impression about Malta being a Gibraltar knock off. Gib is one of the worst places I've ever been - disclaimer it was 20+ years ago and may have improved since then. And in my head I'd tarred Malta with the same brush.

Richards Bay. Ah yes. I was blessed with the view of the coal terminal from my suite. I was rather jealous of guests on the port side with their improved outlook.

As you, Lux and I have said before, SA is definitely a country to be visited by land. Luckily Sojourn was sparkling with festive cheer, our fellow guests were all wonderful and the crew as great as ever so it was a marvellous cruise despite the ports.

Henry,

You inspired me to do some videos of some of our trip, with using slides/changing focus points and re-direct intro. I shot with Canon gear and would like to use the 5D Mark iii. I definitely need to practice with how the focus works in video mode... Do enjoy using manual focus but the question I have is: do you recommend a windows editing software? I use Lightroom 5 a lot and Photoshop 2015 some.

FYI: Nice soundtrack pairing of the Sojourn video in East Africa.

Henry,

You inspired me to do some videos of some of our trip, with using slides/changing focus points and re-direct intro. I shot with Canon gear and would like to use the 5D Mark iii. I definitely need to practice with how the focus works in video mode... Do enjoy using manual focus but the question I have is: do you recommend a windows editing software? I use Lightroom 5 a lot and Photoshop 2015 some.

FYI: Nice soundtrack pairing of the Sojourn video in East Africa.

I look forward to seeing the results.

I am a Mac person and use Final Cut Pro. I used to use the free iMovie which comes with a Mac but upgraded mainly due to the ease of importing Media.

If find editing the hardest part and stick for the most part to some very simple rules.

For Windows I believe Adobe Premier is supposed to be good and in the same family as Photoshop which you currently use.

Keep things simple with the focus. I use auto focus to set the focus then flick the lens to manual when I film, it saves the focus jumping around. You can obviously use focus as a tool to draw the viewers eye but it can over complicate things.

Bravo!

You have captured in your video the perspective of land seem from the water.

On my first cruise ,which was the Western Med, I was blown away by this perspective.

The monutains, hills, towns tumbling down to the water edge, are the views I never get tired of seeing.

Lookng forward to your review of many of my favorite places in Europe.