Difference between Odyssey & Sojourn

Mrs Excited

Good morning everyone :)

We had a simply amazing time last time 18 months ago on the Odyssey, the service/food/staff were simply incredible. I realise they are virtually the same ship. We are on Sojourn in 2 weeks time out of Dubai, reading between the lines, have things changed so much? Isthe service not as excellent? I gather a stupid (to me) new system in the Colonade restaurant every other night. We loved their "places around the world" menus. We are so so so looking forward to it, but are my expectations too high?:confused:

What do you think?

Your experience will depend on whom you interact with on these ships. My take

on cruises taken a few months apart on these 2 ships this year is that the waiter, bar, housekeeping and deck staff are pretty much excellent the "Seabourn way"- friendly, engaging, detail oriented, confident and genuine. But the senior officers such as the captain, hotel manager, cruise director, maitre d's in the restaurants set the tone and direction. They make all the difference as a team and individually. If they are flat, hardly visible, rude to staff, distracted etc then that makes a world of difference to me.

Happy cruising!

... But the senior officers such as the captain, hotel manager, cruise director, maitre d's in the restaurants set the tone and direction. They make all the difference as a team and individually. If they are flat, hardly visible, rude to staff, distracted etc then that makes a world of difference to me.

Happy cruising!

Sadly this has been my experience as well.

But the senior officers such as the captain, hotel manager, cruise director, maitre d's in the restaurants set the tone and direction. They make all the difference as a team and individually. If they are flat, hardly visible, rude to staff, distracted etc then that makes a world of difference to me.

Happy cruising!

And absolutely my experience too.

on cruises taken a few months apart on these 2 ships this year is that the waiter, bar, housekeeping and deck staff are pretty much excellent the "Seabourn way"- friendly, engaging, detail oriented, confident and genuine. But the senior officers such as the captain, hotel manager, cruise director, maitre d's in the restaurants set the tone and direction. They make all the difference as a team and individually. If they are flat, hardly visible, rude to staff, distracted etc then that makes a world of difference to me.

Happy cruising!

I too agree. And I wouldn't hesitate to mention anyone who has been rude, invisible or distracted in the first guest comment card, adding that a copy of the card will be forwarded to Rick Meadows.

Totally agree.

We had an amazing time on the Sojourn last year and every senior cruise officer was wonderful. On one shore excursion morning, the CD ever so thoughtful, saw how my Mom was dressed and recommended she fetch a jacket due to the forecast. However, The director of future cruises who was assisting, berated my mother on the gangway because she was now 5 mins late and then sent her to the city shuttle instead of the bus. She was in tears. He later sent her some chocolates and apologized but the damage was done. I made sure that it didn't mar the rest of her trip and the rest of the crew made up for it as well. Point is even one bad apple could work to change your appreciation of an otherwise amazing experience!

But the senior officers such as the captain, hotel manager, cruise director, maitre d's in the restaurants set the tone and direction. They make all the difference as a team and individually. If they are flat, hardly visible, rude to staff, distracted etc then that makes a world of difference to me.

Happy cruising!

Totally agree.

Actually it is a laborious task to attempt to glean from the many posts about Seabourn who are the " good guys" in the Senior Officer command. I am sure it would be helpful to newbies and to returnees ( is this a word?) to have their names in one place on these boards. A sort of "roll of honour"!

I cannot contribute currently as I have been away from Seabourn for two years. But following my upcoming cruise, I would be most happy to contribute to such a listing .

Any views or nominees?

Edited by MARIANH

I'm not sure that i am aware of the benign influence of officers on a cruise. I have observed--I think I have related this before--the captain of the Legend who passed by the Skybar in the early afternoon as an inebriated and obnoxious passenger was berating the bartender for some imagined slight. The captain paused, leaned towards the offending pax, and said, in a steely and ominous tone, "No one on this ship will abuse my crew. Ever. If you wish to remain aboard..." I remember thinking as the discourteous passenger retreated that his departure was the definition of "slunk." Cannot recall if he was from Jacksonville, Florida or, perhaps Yorkshire, as to some ears the accents are easily confused. Any roads...

Welcome back, Marianh.

A bit more seriously, if the cruise proceeds smoothly, we credit the executives, on the bridge and off. Only when we have a problem that requires intervention, from the hot man or the bridge, do we really award marks for performance.

There are a couple of particularly nettlesome situations that are a litmus test for executive action. One, the folk next to you insist on smoking in their cabin. And for another, there is noise from above or across the companionway caused by the crew that disrupts your sleep. Far more serious than a sloppy waiter or a bartender who can't make a Hemingway Daiquiri. Having been the, er, object? (or subject?) of both circumstances on SB, I regret to say that while much sympathy, if not empathy, was exuded by the hotel manager, the offending circumstances were not resolved.

I'm not sure that i am aware of the benign influence of officers on a cruise. I have observed--I think I have related this before--the captain of the Legend who passed by the Skybar in the early afternoon as an inebriated and obnoxious passenger was berating the bartender for some imagined slight. The captain paused, leaned towards the offending pax, and said, in a steely and ominous tone, "No one on this ship will abuse my crew. Ever. If you wish to remain aboard..." I remember thinking as the discourteous passenger retreated that his departure was the definition of "slunk." Cannot recall if he was from Jacksonville, Florida or, perhaps Yorkshire, as to some ears the accents are easily confused. Any roads...

Welcome back, Marianh..

Thank you Writer100, it's good to see you also treading the Boards again.

Yes, Captains are truly Masters of ther Universe and passengers cross them at their peril. At the least one is in danger of a painful keelhauling ( metaphorically speaking nowadays) and at worst forcible disembarkation. I well remember our Captain exercising his prerogative on a cruise some years back. Briefly, we had a feral family onboard with very disruptive children causing multiple complaints from fellow pax. On being invited to meet the Captain for what the father thought was confirmation of his request for a suite upgrade, he was quickly disabused to find he was being given the ultimate downgrade - to the quayside at our next port of call!. Fastforward - the next day we left port with feral family and assorted luggage on the quayside. With head of household hollering " i'll sue". Some chance!

So, any more nominations for best Seabourn Captain?

Welcome back, Marianh.

A bit more seriously, if the cruise proceeds smoothly, we credit the executives, on the bridge and off. Only when we have a problem that requires intervention, from the hot man or the bridge, do we really award marks for performance.

There are a couple of particularly nettlesome situations that are a litmus test for executive action. One, the folk next to you insist on smoking in their cabin. And for another, there is noise from above or across the companionway caused by the crew that disrupts your sleep. Far more serious than a sloppy waiter or a bartender who can't make a Hemingway Daiquiri. Having been the, er, object? (or subject?) of both circumstances on SB, I regret to say that while much sympathy, if not empathy, was exuded by the hotel manager, the offending circumstances were not resolved.

I was so heartened to read this about the Captain intervening on behalf of his crew. Although we have rarely experienced similar situations it takes all of my willpower to avoid intervening when I have witnessed passengers verbally mistreating staff. I attribute this ugly behavior to some perverted sense of entitlement by which some passengers believe the staff are "servants" and treat them as such. I wish senior officers would put these boorish snobs in their place more frequently.

I was so heartened to read this about the Captain intervening on behalf of his crew. Although we have rarely experienced similar situations it takes all of my willpower to avoid intervening when I have witnessed passengers verbally mistreating staff. I attribute this ugly behavior to some perverted sense of entitlement by which some passengers believe the staff are "servants" and treat them as such. I wish senior officers would put these boorish snobs in their place more frequently.

Totally agree. There are some people who are rude and obnoxious to the crew. People interrupting someone who is taking are of another pax, demanding they get served their X now; unable to politely request something and instead tell the bar tender "I need 2 X's brought over there right now". Really poor manners on the part of some.

We join Odyssey in 2 days and I certainly hope - no, I pray - that there will be no uber rude, outta control drunk or grabby passengers on board!

Last winter on Sojourn one abusive idiot manhandled a crewmember. A couple of days later he and his were disembarked. And the best part is that it was handled comme il faut. The process started with one of our friends who saw the whole damned episode write up a formal complaint (and I have to assume there were others who did similarly) and ended with the couple explaining away their pending disgorgement that there were family issues at home. As if.

So let's keep cool until we have no choice but to witness and document any shenanigans.

In several days I will be back with some light impressions about the cruise and the news about those pending needs: whether or not the MDR is open on sea and port days, about the guac, truffle cheese bread etc at the Observation Bar,

and who is challenging for a boxing title.

Happy sailing!

In several days I will be back with some light impressions about the cruise and the news about those pending needs: whether or not the MDR is open on sea and port days, about the guac, truffle cheese bread etc at the Observation Bar,

and who is challenging for a boxing title.

Happy sailing!

Have a wonderful cruise and I know that MARIANH joins me in a state of high anticipation to read your news!

Thank you Writer100, it's good to see you also treading the Boards again.

Yes, Captains are truly Masters of ther Universe and passengers cross them at their peril. At the least one is in danger of a painful keelhauling ( metaphorically speaking nowadays) and at worst forcible disembarkation. I well remember our Captain exercising his prerogative on a cruise some years back. Briefly, we had a feral family onboard with very disruptive children causing multiple complaints from fellow pax. On being invited to meet the Captain for what the father thought was confirmation of his request for a suite upgrade, he was quickly disabused to find he was being given the ultimate downgrade - to the quayside at our next port of call!. Fastforward - the next day we left port with feral family and assorted luggage on the quayside. With head of household hollering " i'll sue". Some chance!

So, any more nominations for best Seabourn Captain?

Ive done over a dozen cruises with Capt. Geir Arne. tHe crew love him. He is amazing and hosts a great table. I love seeing his pictures also. I also enjoyed Capr. Mark Dexter very much.

We on on our seond sea day of this 12 day Caribbean cruise and all is well on the good ship Odyssey.

Here is a short report on certain questions posed by the community:

1- the MDR was/is open for breakfast and lunch;

2- a TK menu, a 3 course event, was offered last night at the Captain's dinner alongside the traditional stuff including twice baked cheese souffle, beef wellington, lobster tail etc. The TK menu was a tuna hamachi starter, pork tenderloin and a fangipane cake.

3- Heather is our CD, sparkling and warm. We have a new trio with singer at the Club in lieu of a guitarist before and after dinner. The Grand Salon has its 5 piece band and the Observation Bar has a pianist. The vibe so far is the Club is busy, the Observation Bar less so.

4- the Observation Bar offers small plates - rectangular vs the square ones in the Club- of 3 hors d'oeuvres when you have a drink or ask for it. So the former guac, cheese, salami etc buffet is gone. I don't mind. And so much for the gripes and unflattering comments we saw the last round on this matter.

5- Caviar is as much available and generous as ever.

6- back to the MDR, the first night's menu was of a different and slimmer appearance from last summer. The classic menu we all remember was not included but it's "there" anyway. You just have to ask. I imagine that the slimmer menu is one in transition with the occasional TK dinner? Tonight is the family TK option in the Colonnade and I expect we will go as usual to the beautiful MDR.

7- there are 2 Grand Salon show now at something like 8:30 and 10:15 so more people can attend depending on their own dinner schedules.

Capt Stig Betten is in charge and Capt David Bathgate takes over for the Christmas and 2016 South Pacific cruise until Hawaii. Daniel Putzhammer is and will be the Hotel Manager. Nikolai Nikolev is Staff Captain. Handre will be the CD.

This is a balanced, well managed and cheerful ship!

Rick Meadows is here for a few days and we have enjoyed his company. Lots of focus on TK, innovations in the main galley and these design team and execution of the Encore.

If you have any questions please let me know and I will do my best.

Happy sailing!

We on on our seond sea day of this 12 day Caribbean cruise and all is well on the good ship Odyssey.

Happy sailing!

Very interesting, informative and encouraging viz our 21 November cruise.

Just some short points if you have the time.

How's the "included" wine list - any gems?

Is the smoking policy working ok - especially in the Observation lounge?

Will be interested to know if MDR is open on port days.

Looking forward to more dispatches if you have the time and Seabourn snailmail behaves itself.

Enjoy your cruise but please leave some caviar and wine for us!

Edited by MARIANH

1- the MDR was/is open for breakfast and lunch;

2- a TK menu, a 3 course event, was offered last night at the Captain's dinner alongside the traditional stuff including twice baked cheese souffle, beef wellington, lobster tail etc. The TK menu was a tuna hamachi starter, pork tenderloin and a fangipane cake.

3- Heather is our CD, sparkling and warm. We have a new trio with singer at the Club in lieu of a guitarist before and after dinner. The Grand Salon has its 5 piece band and the Observation Bar has a pianist. The vibe so far is the Club is busy, the Observation Bar less so.

4- the Observation Bar offers small plates - rectangular vs the square ones in the Club- of 3 hors d'oeuvres when you have a drink or ask for it. So the former guac, cheese, salami etc buffet is gone. I don't mind. And so much for the gripes and unflattering comments we saw the last round on this matter.

5- Caviar is as much available and generous as ever.

6- back to the MDR, the first night's menu was of a different and slimmer appearance from last summer. The classic menu we all remember was not included but it's "there" anyway. You just have to ask. I imagine that the slimmer menu is one in transition with the occasional TK dinner? Tonight is the family TK option in the Colonnade and I expect we will go as usual to the beautiful MDR.

7- there are 2 Grand Salon show now at something like 8:30 and 10:15 so more people can attend depending on their own dinner schedules.

Capt Stig Betten is in charge and Capt David Bathgate takes over for the Christmas and 2016 South Pacific cruise until Hawaii. Daniel Putzhammer is and will be the Hotel Manager. Nikolai Nikolev is Staff Captain. Handre will be the CD.

This is a balanced, well managed and cheerful ship!

Rick Meadows is here for a few days and we have enjoyed his company. Lots of focus on TK, innovations in the main galley and these design team and execution of the Encore.

Happy sailing!

I was hoping to see Eddies name up there for at least the Auk-Syd portion of that 2016 cruise.