Sir Bani Yas Island Abu Dhabi

galeforce9

I haven't posted this on the ports board as its not a mainstream stop and hope people who have been with seabourn can advise please....

I have the excursion details for this island. It's quite pricey and involves a game drive (at a time of day not best suited to game viewing?), lunch and beach. My questions are

- have people done the tour. What was it like and was it worth it?

- if you don't do the tour is there any way to see the wildlife/ experience the beach and resort?

- how big is the island?

I presume there are no cheap alternatives once you get there as I presume we will be a captive market.

Thanks.

I cant fully answer your question as we did not do the tour(hate zoo's) but comments as follows;

1 Its a tender port.

2 Landing stage has a small shelter but there is nothing there. Water courtesy of the ship.

3 A coach trip to the resort is offered(20minutes) where sun beds,umbrellas etc are available. Some folk said they had seen a giraffe poking its head over the fence on the ride. The resort was quite good for a day by the sea if you can stand 40c .

4 I know that the " game drive" tours are capacity constrained and had sold out before departure.

I cant fully answer your question as we did not do the tour(hate zoo's) but comments as follows;

1 Its a tender port.

2 Landing stage has a small shelter but there is nothing there. Water courtesy of the ship.

3 A coach trip to the resort is offered(20minutes) where sun beds,umbrellas etc are available. Some folk said they had seen a giraffe poking its head over the fence on the ride. The resort was quite good for a day by the sea if you can stand 40c .

4 I know that the " game drive" tours are capacity constrained and had sold out before departure.

Thanks adoctor. Is the bus to the resort a free shuttle? Is that what you did?

• 3 weeks later...

We did this excursion! Our game drive was at the beginning of the day ( this was last November). I think we were the very first ship to do this excursion. We loved the game drive! It is a covered vehicle but a little dusty. We were on the drive with Captain Elliot's wife Gayle and she loved it as well. Afterwards, we had lunch ( a nice buffet) and went for a swim in the glorious water. I could have stayed in the water forever. As we were the first ship to do this, there were a few kinks but nothing bad. Yes, it was pricey but I am glad we did the game drive. A lot of people just came in on the shuttle and hung out.

We did this excursion! Our game drive was at the beginning of the day ( this was last November). I think we were the very first ship to do this excursion. We loved the game drive! It is a covered vehicle but a little dusty. We were on the drive with Captain Elliot's wife Gayle and she loved it as well. Afterwards, we had lunch ( a nice buffet) and went for a swim in the glorious water. I could have stayed in the water forever. As we were the first ship to do this, there were a few kinks but nothing bad. Yes, it was pricey but I am glad we did the game drive. A lot of people just came in on the shuttle and hung out.

Thanks katiestan. I think you were on the cruise after the one we disembarked from in Dubai, so we're doing the next two legs this year! That's very useful info and I think I might just book. I'm not keen to spend a day on board right after the start of the cruise

We just got on the tender, then took the shuttle to the resort. It was quick and we found it a lovely way to spend a few hours. The resort was right on a lovely sandy beach. there were Seabourn crew there with the complimentary towels, sun cream etc, but they were not allowed to serve drinks. you could purchase soft drinks, but when we went there was no alcohol allowed as there was a religious festival I believe. The beach was great, long and sandy and the water warm and safe for swimming. I would definitely go again. The shuttle to the resort was free.

Katiestan - you say the vehicle was covered - are the sides open and does everyone get a "window seat'. I'm thinking of photos here. I know gayle enjoyed her photography too. I hope you managed to get up close with some wildlife!

Galeforce9 I am glad you asked this question as I will be on Encore in December and visiting this port as well.......we seem to be following each other this year just on different cruises :).

Thank you katiestan1 and the others who have replied this has been very helpful.

Julie

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for intruding on this cruise line's posts. My son and his family are based in Dubai and we will be on MSC Fantasia on 17th Dec 2016. Am trying to get some details on SirBani Yas Island but there is very limited information on the website. Any information you can provide would be much appreciated. I have started a thread asking for help on the ports of call section under Africa and Middle East

Thank you in advance

Suron (Bristol, UK)

Edited by suron