Odyssey pouring wine list

divsec

Hi does anyone have an indication of the current pouring wines, we are sailing Athens Venice in October but I love to savour the possibilities, thanks in advance

D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

I have gotten the list for this cruise and will post all in ten days when we return home. In the meantime if you have a specific wine or type you are looking for I will check to see if it is on the list. Of course the list today might include wines not available in two months. I can tell you that I am quite impressed with the variety this cruise.

Hi Chairsin

Did you just ask for the wine list? I tried this last year on Regent and you would think they were protecting the Crown Jewels!

I know it's nice to experience the wine as it arrives but there are certain wines (oaky Chardonnays) which I really don't like and it would be good to know what is available.

Did everyone make it onboard from Athens?

I am with you about oaky chards-- they do have a very nice French chard from Macon that is light on oak. Also in the white category the only other one I have tried is a very mineraly Sancerre.

As to getting the list I befriended our very nice Turkish sommelier and the night we ordered a special bottle from the premium list I asked if I might get a copy of the house list. It arrived in my suite the next morning.

And yes. Everyone made it though one couple got held up and missed the boat drill.

I am with you about oaky chards-- they do have a very nice French chard from Macon that is light on oak. Also in the white category the only other one I have tried is a very mineraly Sancerre.

As to getting the list I befriended our very nice Turkish sommelier and the night we ordered a special bottle from the premium list I asked if I might get a copy of the house list. It arrived in my suite the next morning.

And yes. Everyone made it though one couple got held up and missed the boat drill.

The Dancers sounds good, looking forward to the list. D

(I am glad that I am not the only one who falls victim to autocorrect)

Just received a new list yesterday for the second 7 days. A couple of changes (still Sancerre) but they added a Penfolds Shiraz-Cab.

• 2 weeks later...

Things are looking up! Love a good penfolds (had a lovely St Henri recently) and of course the Sancerre is great, when you can get it that is[emoji6]. Looking forward to having a good read through the house list. Like many cruise lines it like a dark art finding out what's available. It's nice to try the daily selection, especially when it is destination specific, but sometimes you just want an old fav. Hope they have a pud wine too. Looking forward to your post Chairsin.

Well St. Henri ( but not Grange[emoji15][emoji485][emoji383]) is on the premium list but I did enjoy the Penfolds that they offered. As I am just about recovered from the long journey home I should be able to post the list in the next day or so.

I will very much look forward to it. Hope you had a great time and the journey not too tough. Have not yet managed a Grange, but do have a penfolds 707 to drink soon, just can't quite bring myself to open it!

Ok, here are the lists from our recent Med cruise. Bears with the typos as when I tried photographing them to post the photo size was such that you could nit read the print.

White wines

Clarendale blanc, Domaine Dillon, Bordeaux

Sauvignon Blanc, Oyster Bay , Marlborough, NZ

Chardonnay Cave de Lungy, Macon, a Burgundy

Bramito Chardonnay, Italy

Domaine Fouassiery, Sancerre, Loire Valley

La Scola, Etichetta Bianca, Gavi Di Gavi, DOGC, Italy

Pinot Grigio, Santa Margarita

Chardonnay McUigan Bin 7000, Australia

Pulling Fume la Moynerie, Loire Valley

Pinot Grigio, Fantinel, Fruili, Italy

Sauvignon Blanc Matanzas Creek, California

Chardonnay Sebastiani, Sonoma, California

Red Wines

Tomasini Valpolicella, Rafael Veneto, Italy

Syrah, Rucahue Reserva, Chile

Blend red Wine, Plo de Maorou, Languedoc,

Bordeaux Rouge Sirius, France

Chianti Classico Superior, Banfi, Italy

Vitamins Red Blend Emiliana, Chile,

La Mortelle Botrosecco Cabernet Sauvignon, Italy

Merlot, Kendal Jackson special select , Sonoma , California

Pinotage, Stellenzicht Golden Triangle, South Africa

Jamison Ranch Pinot Noir, light Horse , Napa, California

Constantino Vineyards, "the Zin," Lodi, California

Merlot, Columbia Crest H3, Columbia Valley, US

Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma , California

Rose/Blush

Centine Banfi, Toscana, Italy

Cotes du Provence, B&G, France

On the second leg the list changed slightly adding in Wingspan Sauv Blanc and deleting the Cave de Lungy. In the red dept. they added the Penfolds Shiraz-cab blend and Lan Rioja. Sauternes was always available but when we drank it after dinner I kept forgetting to look at the bottle.

And as we liked neither rose we tried on our first day, our usual lunch wine, I asked the sommelier if they has any others and he offered us the wonderfully crisp and dry Aimee Roquesante. There was a limited supply of this wine but James always kept a bottle tucked away at the Sky Bar for us as the quantity was limited.

We also enjoyed some nice wine we purchased from the premium list (to my eye the list is strongest in the area of Super Tuscans). Sadly the night we ordered the Tattinger Comtes de Chamapgne, our favorite bubbly on their list, they had run out.

Hope this helps!

Yes it is. On our way over guess what champagne American Airlines was serving? Yup same stuff. Oh well it could be worse. There was talk of switching providers about a year ago but I understand the deal fell through because the alternative champagne house could not guarantee enough to meet Seabourn's needs.

BTW, I would be remiss in not noting that the house wines are a big improvement from what they offered about five years ago both in terms of breadth of wines and relative quality.

Yes it is. On our way over guess what champagne American Airlines was serving? Yup same stuff. Oh well it could be worse. There was talk of switching providers about a year ago but I understand the deal fell through because the alternative champagne house could not guarantee enough to meet Seabourn's needs.

BTW, I would be remiss in not noting that the house wines are a big improvement from what they offered about five years ago both in terms of breadth of wines and relative quality.

I was thinking the same about you house wines comment. Looks like a significant improvement and greater depth as well.

If you honestly believe this is a major improvement from five years ago, then that is the most damning testament to the putrid quality of Seabourn’s offerings.

Don’t take my word for it. Look these wines up online for yourself. I used Amazon and wine searcher for pricing and the wine spectator and wine advocate for ratings.

All prices are in U.S. Dollars, not at auction & are full bottle prices.

Clarence Dillon, Clarendelle blanc $13.73

Oyster Bay, Sauvignon Blanc $9.29

Cave de Lugny, Macon Village, White Burgundy $8.99

Antinori Bramito Chardonnay $16.16

Domaine Fouassier, Sancerre Sur le For $12.98

La Scolca, Etichetta Bianca $11.89

Santa Margherita, Pinot Grigio delle Venezie $9.56

Mcguigan Chardonnay Bin 7000 $6.66

Michel Redde et Fils, Pouilly-Fume la Moynerie $16.39

Fantinel Borgo Tesis, Pinot Grigio $9.71

Matanzas Creek, Sauvignon Blanc $12.97

Sebastiani, Chardonnay Sonoma $7.99

Avg. White = $11.36

Red Wines

Tommasi Vignetto Rafael Valpolicella $11.49

Rucahue, Syrah Reserva $6.48

Domaine Sas du Plo de Maorou, Languedoc Not Available as their retail operations ended with the 2007 vintage

Maison Sichel Sirius, Rouge $11.11

Castello Banfi, Chianti Superior $7.99

Emiliana Coyom Red Blend $15.84

Marchesi Antinori, La Mortelle Botrosecco Maremma $12.41

Kendal Jackson, Merlot Vintner’s Reserve $13.69

Stellenzicht, Pinotage $6.95

Jamison Ranch Pinot Noir, light Horse $8.99

Cosentino Winery, "the Zin," $10.69

Columbia Crest H3, Merlot $9.79

Sebastiani Cabernet Sauvignon, Sonoma $11.77

Avg. Red = $10.60

Rose/Blush

Banfi, Centine Rose $7.16

Barton & Guestier, Cotes du Provence $7.98

Avg. Rose = $ 7.57

Overall Bottle Avg. = $ 10.72

The ratings for these wines are even more embarrassing. Given the Wine Spectator and Wine Advocate’s main purpose is to promote wine consumption and as such, it is extremely difficult to find any wines for sale in America rated below 80 pts. Yet Seabourn somehow managed to procure several rated below 80 pts.

I know it’s a business and Carnival needs to make their money, but I just don’t get this. They don’t force the passengers to consume Bankers Club liquors in their mixed drinks at the bars. Why serve wine with equivalent quality to Bankers Club liquors with the meals? I would expect to see this wine list if Carnival Cruises went all-inclusive, not on a “luxury” line. I don’t see how anyone can describe the wines from this list as “Fine Wines”. I don’t see how anyone can describe the consumption of these wines as a luxurious experience.

Alright Seabourn cheerleaders, go ahead and circle your wagons.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know that during your vast experience with Seabourn you have always been able to find something that is drinkable, so I must be too picky. First of all, on a “luxury” cruise, why should you be forced to sift through a bunch of garbage to find one or two passable choices? Isn’t that the job of their wine curator? All of the offerings should be excellent. Secondly, the costs and independent ratings speak for themselves.

Yeah, yeah, yeah I know that the price of some of these wines is higher at your local grocery store, so my methodology and numbers must all be wrong. If you want to overpay for your wine, that is your own business. Also, this wine list is such an odd assortment, that it would be impossible to find them all in any single store.

While we are in agreement that the wines served are not the highest quality, the prices an earlier member posted are not at all reflective of true retail prices. We have never, for example, been able to purchase Santa Margherita Pinot for less than $18 (and that's on sale..usually around $22-23). Likewise you cannot purchase a Gavi or Sancerre for less than that.

It's bad but not that bad....at least, there are choices like Gavi and Sancerre & not run of the mill oaky Chards.... [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

important Wine Axiom: Drink what you like.

Most folks cannot guess the price of wine by tasting it. But they can easily say if they Like It or Not, which is, afterall, the only thing that matters

If you are in the tiny minority of folks - supertasters if you will - that can appreciate the subtleties of All Things Delicious (...for you...), then the premium list is there.

From Seabourn's point of view, there is nothing to be gained by upping the outlay on the layman's bottle of wine. No one (I hope) is making their booking (or canceling it) upon realizing

that the stock wine is worth $10 instead of $20. A true game changer would be if the premium list were suddenly included in the fare. THAT would possibly bring in new bookings...

I think we all know the sort of price range the included wines are in. The ones on Regent last summer were actually even cheaper, by and large, and the 'wine pourers' knew nothing about them. The same applied - the quality - on Seadream a few years ago. Most of them insist on calling them 'fine wines', which they should not, but all are tarred with the same brush.

I think we all know the sort of price range the included wines are in. The ones on Regent last summer were actually even cheaper, by and large, and the 'wine pourers' knew nothing about them. The same applied - the quality - on Seadream a few years ago. Most of them insist on calling them 'fine wines', which they should not, but all are tarred with the same brush.

Oh compared to Wild Irish Rose or Mad Dog, or the like they are fine wines ;)

I don't necessarily mind the low cost of the product but what I do mind is that for the most part (my last cruise being the exception) they don't seem to find the best wines at those price points. They also imo have some gaps in their lineup.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...