Fois gras

divsec

And there was me thinking they were referring to the Fat Times, the newspaper for those who overindulge on Seabourn.

It is often seen as a mousse or similar starter, but also on Tournedos Rossini when on the menu, and you can always request sauteed foie gras for a starter if you ask the Maitre'd the previous evening on the ship. Obviously this does not apply if you object on welfare concerns.

You have brought up one of my favorite topics, foie gras. Actually if I were to rate my top 5 favorite french things the list would read as follows:

N° 1 - my husband

N° 2 - chocolat

N° 3 - champagne

N° 4 - foie gras

N° 5 - Louis Vuitton

While foie gras has been offered on almost every cruise we have taken with Seabourn, I have been more often disappointed than not. Your best bet having foie gras on board is on the steak rossini. The terrines are rarely what I would have hoped for.

Now if you are looking for a nice treat and you are visiting ports in France, pick up a slice at one of the local charcuteries and bring it back on board (make sure to respect the cold chain). Give it to one of the head waiters and ask to have it served with thinly sliced toast and a cold sweet white wine. You can even make a meal out of it by bringing back both duck (canard) and goose (oie) and see which one you prefer. Oie is more prestigious, but I find that canard has more flavor. 100g of each for a meal for 2. Also be sure to pick up some onion jam to go along with it.

I wouldn't recommend ordering this item from a café near the port. Most likely it will be served from a can or what they are required to identify on the menu as bloc. Also, it is not a hot weather dish and will be too soft to slice properly.

Bon appétit :)

and there was me thinking they were referring to the fat times

Me too!

:D

;)

Edited to add : I'm not very impressed with the quality of the foie gras onboard so I tend to avoid it.

Edited by Ravenscroft

You have brought up one of my favorite topics, foie gras. Actually if I were to rate my top 5 favorite french things the list would read as follows:

N° 1 - my husband

N° 2 - chocolat

N° 3 - champagne

N° 4 - foie gras

N° 5 - Louis Vuitton

While foie gras has been offered on almost every cruise we have taken with Seabourn, I have been more often disappointed than not. Your best bet having foie gras on board is on the steak rossini. The terrines are rarely what I would have hoped for.

Now if you are looking for a nice treat and you are visiting ports in France, pick up a slice at one of the local charcuteries and bring it back on board (make sure to respect the cold chain). Give it to one of the head waiters and ask to have it served with thinly sliced toast and a cold sweet white wine. You can even make a meal out of it by bringing back both duck (canard) and goose (oie) and see which one you prefer. Oie is more prestigious, but I find that canard has more flavor. 100g of each for a meal for 2. Also be sure to pick up some onion jam to go along with it.

I wouldn't recommend ordering this item from a café near the port. Most likely it will be served from a can or what they are required to identify on the menu as bloc. Also, it is not a hot weather dish and will be too soft to slice properly.

Bon appétit :)

Now my mouth is watering, October 1 cannot come quickly enough. I will have to make several attempts to convince myself I don't like the SB foie gras. Bring on the fat times is all I can say. Good health to all

One of the few TK offerings I really enjoyed on our last cruise was a foie gras mousse wrapped in something that looked like nori but was sweetish and may have been made partly out of ground pistachios. It was fabulous. Also agree that the foie on the tournedos Rossini is a real treat. Linda

One of the few TK offerings I really enjoyed on our last cruise was a foie gras mousse wrapped in something that looked like nori but was sweetish and may have been made partly out of ground pistachios. It was fabulous. Also agree that the foie on the tournedos Rossini is a real treat. Linda

Linda, could you enlarge on TK please, is this option already on odyssey, and if yes where is it, and what about the food offered? Many thanks D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

We just got off the Odyssey last Saturday, back to real life....... We did 14 days Athens/Athens. We had the TK foie gras mousse prepared 2 ways, both were amazing!! This was our first experience with the TK menu, he won me over with this dish, enjoy. Cheers

We just got off the Odyssey last Saturday, back to real life....... We did 14 days Athens/Athens. We had the TK foie gras mousse prepared 2 ways, both were amazing!! This was our first experience with the TK menu, he won me over with this dish, enjoy. Cheers

Pater thanks for this we are Athens Venice in October with Odyssey. Is the TK menu served in the Colonnade or have sb made a change to restaurant2? Really excited about the prospects, anymore info would be so much appreciated. Glad you had a good time.

D

The TK dining on the Odyssey are as follows : in the MDR every evening , except the Chef's dinner nights, there is a menu insert with TK's more sophisticated offerings of appetizer, main and dessert. Twice a week or so there is a by reservation TK dinner in the Colonnade called "family" style based on his more casual dishes. This will pretty much continue this manner until the R2 restaurant is converted to the TK Grill after the dry dock next year (as has recently been done on the Quest).

I think you will find it is only completed on the Quest, and will not be on the other two until they are next in dry dock; I believe some time off.

At present, the other two ships are offering some TK dishes in the dining room in the evening, maybe each night or every other, with a starter, main and dessert. In addition to the usual menu of course. They are also doing some of the TK 'family style' meals - sharing dishes - in the Colonnade on some evenings, for which you need to book. IMO all of these mentioned are hit and miss; some dining room dishes very good, a few awful, and the family style meals variable also. A point to note - I think they only offer 20 portions each evening of the dishes in the dining room, so you may need to be in fairly early to be sure of having one. It is certainly not ideal as yet - hopefully in time.

Going on the Odyssey the 25th from Piraeus (IF the airportstrike is cancelled and IF the port strike cools off, whew!) Are there any of you that have copies of the TK menu inserts (since thee seems to be a limited offering each night)?

Friends of us are tagging along; vegetarians. Any offerings on the TK menu for them?

Linda, could you enlarge on TK please, is this option already on odyssey, and if yes where is it, and what about the food offered? Many thanks D

We were on Sojourn. There were some nights we had a TK menu insert in the MDR. All of the offerings sounded exquisite, and were beautifully presented, but most of them were simply forgettable. We were really disappointed as we were so excited prior to sailing that this dining option had been introduced. That said, I am sailing on the Quest in January and have reserved dinner in the new TK dining venue for our first night onboard. Linda

Just got off the Odyssey a little over a week ago, 14 days Athens RT. We don't really eat dinner in the colonnade so I can't help there, but can help in the MDR. They had the TK menu about every other night. The posting that stated they may have limited supply may be true. I love Fois Gras and on week one they told me they were out, but as usual on SB Milo's was able to find an order for me, it was amazing!!

I am a carnivore, perhaps to a fault, but they did have a vegetarian option on every TK menu that I saw. Didn't have any of them, sorry, but did have the others and found most of them to be very good to great. Happy Sailing, Cheers...

Have to agree with Suite Travels here. It is possible to make ethical foie gras but of course it is much more expensive.

The farmer who makes 'ethical' foie gras | World news | The Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jan/18/the-farmer-who-makes-ethical-foie-gras

The address is above but not sure if link will work

Battery farming of any animal is horrific and unnecessary be it pigs, chickens, geese, ducks, veal calves etc. The west condemns Vietnam, China and Korea for the dog meat trade but in the west we also, in some cases, treat animals appallingly. The UK only raises rose veal now from the male dairy calves and of course our Welsh lamb is raised in an ethical way and it is perfectly possible to produce ethical foie gras

I remember the first time I was on Seabourn when I asked the waiter if the veal on the menu had been ethically raised - he looked very bemused and didn't know so sadly, veal was off the menu for me.

I eat meat but like to know that whilst the animal was alive it was well cared for and humanely slaughtered and Seabourn should be sourcing its animal products from such sources - hopefully they do.

Edited by Techno123

Suite Travels & Techno123, I'm with both of you. I'm not sure what Seabourn is currently offering, but unless there is a change, I'll be bringing my own toiletries with me on my next Silversea cruise, as neither Bvgari, Ferragamo, nor Neutrogena are cruelty-free. It is heartening to see that the world is finally becoming aware of these needless atrocities. The sooner the better!

Bechi