Turkey/Greece in July

rickandpat

Fresh off our third cruise, all of which have been in the Caribbean. We've been wanting to do a cruise that includes Istanbul, unfortunately the one in May for 2016 got changed to roundtrip out of Athens. In 2017 the only choices are July or a longer more expensive one in Sept. that just isn't going to work. I'm leery about going to that area in July. We were in Turkey for a wonderful two weeks in mid- to late-June several years ago and it was fine in Istanbul, but got hotter the farther south we went. Anyone been on a similar itinerary at the height of summer? Do the tours tend to start earlier before everything heats up for the day? Are there good swimming or watersports opportunities? Thanks, itinerary below:

Istanbul

Kepez

Kusadasi

Patmos

Paro

Sifnos

Hydra

Athens

Others please chime in to confirm or correct me on this, but I seem to recall from several past grand SD voyages in that region that Turkey does not allow or often restricts water sports and maybe even swimming. Could be only a ban or touch and go on water sports. I do recall one trip where we stopped sort of close to the "border" on the seas between Turkey and Greece for some swimming time. At dinner the captain said he knew where to stop and feign a problem if necessary should the authorities call up and inquire why he stopped!