Are single/solo travelers welcomed on SD?

haikou

Sorry haikou, Hum has never travelled alone on SD (despite Blondie wishing he did on ocassions) so from the single traveller's perspective, Hum cannot say.

But having met single travellers onboard. Hum would say the one's Hum met have been nice and they have had a modicum of outgoingness about them. There are also single passengers who love to be alone and many do crossings to have quality "alone time".

The crew are very friendly too.

Dining could be an issue but come straight out about it and ask the Hotel Manager or maitre d' if they could find willing partners and ask to eat with the senior officers too.

It can be summed up "the more you put in......"

Best of luck. This is a friendly group and most will wish to help and give advice. But you have posted many times (2700+) so Hum is assuming you have sailed a lot solo.

If you have'nt sailed SD before and you are used to "big boat" ambience, then that is another issue.

But on smaller boats,you will meet the same people regularly.

Welcome, Haikou. As ho-hum says, it depends upon what you put in. In many couples, one person is the outgoing one who does all the planning and makes the dinner dates, while the other tags along. And sometimes groupings are made on board because of one person in the couple being desirable to be with, and everyone tolerates the other. I'm sure it is because of DW Zimmy that I get to eat and drink with other people.

Bottom line, if you want to be alone, it is easy. If you want to join others, it is probably even easier. We have found every cruise (more than a dozen at this point) to be filled with sociable people. One of the joys of SD is meeting the other passengers. We all entertain each other. There are no "couples only" activities. If I were traveling solo on SD, my biggest concern would be the cost. I don't think they give much of a break to single occupancy.

Welcome, Haikou. As ho-hum says, it depends upon what you put in. In many couples, one person is the outgoing one who does all the planning and makes the dinner dates, while the other tags along. And sometimes groupings are made on board because of one person in the couple being desirable to be with, and everyone tolerates the other. I'm sure it is because of DW Zimmy that I get to eat and drink with other people.

Bottom line, if you want to be alone, it is easy. If you want to join others, it is probably even easier. We have found every cruise (more than a dozen at this point) to be filled with sociable people. One of the joys of SD is meeting the other passengers. We all entertain each other. There are no "couples only" activities. If I were traveling solo on SD, my biggest concern would be the cost. I don't think they give much of a break to single occupancy.

Hi Trapper. I believe you are right. If it were not for our better halves traveling with us, you and I would be relegated to the kiddy table.:eek::D