New to Oceania

NCHPcruiser

My husband and I (61 & 58, very active, easy going North Carolinians) are considering a last minute (at least for us) 10 day cruise in mid-March on the Marina (one of the two larger ships I believe). I have to decide in the next two days. We have recently sold our house, rather unexpectedly, and are living in an apartment until our new home is renovated. We wanted to downsize but not quite this much and I thought a cruise would be just the thing to look forward to!

We didn't start cruising until four years ago and love it. We are Elite on Celebrity and other than a StarClipper cruise many, many years ago Celebrity is the only cruise line we have been on. We usually get the Premium Beverage Package and enjoy going to the Specialty Restaurants. The past two cruises have been in a Sky Suite and we enjoyed their dedicated restaurant, Luminae very much. We might go to the nightly entertainment but big production shows do not interest us much.

While I feel quite certain we would be happy with the food and service what we are slightly concerned about on Oceania is the nightlife. After dinner we generally like another glass of wine or an after dinner cocktail and listen to music (preferably live), perhaps with someone we met earlier in the day/cruise, ending the evening around 10-11 pm, sometimes a little later if we have a sea day following. Will we be the only ones still up at that time?

What is the general nightlife like on Oceania? I keep reading "staid" (on other forums) but since I really do want to try Oceania I thought I would ask the experts.

Thank you for your input!

Martha

We didn't start cruising until four years ago and love it. We are Elite on Celebrity and other than a StarClipper cruise many, many years ago Celebrity is the only cruise line we have been on. We usually get the Premium Beverage Package and enjoy going to the Specialty Restaurants. The past two cruises have been in a Sky Suite and we enjoyed their dedicated restaurant, Luminae very much. We might go to the nightly entertainment but big production shows do not interest us much.

While I feel quite certain we would be happy with the food and service what we are slightly concerned about on Oceania is the nightlife. After dinner we generally like another glass of wine or an after dinner cocktail and listen to music (preferably live), perhaps with someone we met earlier in the day/cruise, ending the evening around 10-11 pm, sometimes a little later if we have a sea day following. Will we be the only ones still up at that time?

Welome to O. We too have enjoyed a Star Clipper cruise - certainly a different cruise experience. DW suffers from sea sickness but is ready for a repeat.

You will I am sure enjoy the Specialty restaurants on O and they have a very good beverage package. With the exception of the very high end single Malts, etc almost everything is available on like having dollar limit restrictions or such.

For an evenings entertainment what you describes sounds like after the show in Martini's bar with the piano player. Sometimes they also lead a "name that tune" or we had a few "sing alongs" or just the tinkling the ivories. It is a nice social venue for an evening night cap.

Edited by YoHoHo

There is also Horizons later at night, and sometimes they are two for one in the late evening.

I speak as a regular who doesn't tend to go to the bars (since DH doesn't drink!) but from what I have read here, that is another option. As a professional singer (although of a classical bent) I am picky about the music I hear on board ... but I remember a jazz singer on Marina a couple of years ago (in Horizons) that I thought was marvelous.

You never know ... entertainers move on and off.

But from your description it sounds like you could find what you like after dinner. People who want a really "live" scene -- probably would not be happy on Oceania.

It is true that many cruisers retire to their rooms after dinner or after the show ... but not all!

Mura

My husband and I (61 & 58, very active, easy going North Carolinians) are considering a last minute (at least for us) 10 day cruise in mid-March on the Marina (one of the two larger ships I believe). I have to decide in the next two days. We have recently sold our house, rather unexpectedly, and are living in an apartment until our new home is renovated. We wanted to downsize but not quite this much and I thought a cruise would be just the thing to look forward to!

What is the general nightlife like on Oceania? I keep reading "staid" (on other forums) but since I really do want to try Oceania I thought I would ask the experts.

Martha

Martha,

My husband and I have done several Oceania cruises over the years (Mediterranean, Transatlantic crossing and South Pacific) and have always enjoyed our cruises and I believe you will enjoy yours also. We have been on Marina and Regatta and personally I prefer the smaller class ships because the crew really gets to know you in a day or two.

Depending on when you eat dinner, you might be able to catch a string quartet after dinner while enjoying an after dinner drink. If not, you can enjoy the piano in the bar or something in horizons. If not, take an after dinner stroll on the upper deck with your drink in hand and make your own music with your husband.

James

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Martha

You will find others still up at 11 pm

earlier in the evening you can go to Martinis bar & enjoy the music from the piano person or the string quartet in the Grand Bar

after the show there is music (maybe not live ) in Horizons

Cannot guarantee you will meet the same people that you saw during the day unless you arrange to meet up later but there usually people in the bar if you decide not to take in the show

we often just go sit & enjoy the music & chat to people if we do not attend the show

The shows are low key some production numbers & some single performers

Give them a try & decide if O is for you

If not, take an after dinner stroll on the upper deck with your drink in hand and make your own music with your husband.

Nice thought, James.

We do much enjoy being out on deck in late evening. So quiet with just us, or a like minded few, and the wind and the sound of the wake with moonlight glistening on the waves. Magical moments..

Edited by YoHoHo

We had our first (definitely not our last) cruise in August on Riviera.

We are not keen on entertainment so we ate about 8pm then settled down in Martinis afterwards to enjoy our beverage package.Very rarely any music (and we weren't late as we rarely eat pudding),but met some lovely people just sitting at the bar each time. We did try horizons but it was very empty so no atmosphere.If you get a great bar man like Gusti,there will be enough entertainment for as late as you like.

(P.S.we are off on Royal clipper this week!!!)

Get it booked and enjoy.

You appear to be on a Caribbean cruise so the nightlife may be a bit livelier than it would normally be on another cruising location such as the Mediterranean. Add the fact that it is on a larger O ship and it would surprise me if it was quiet every night.

It was my recollection that there is usually the piano player playing after dinner in the Martini bar. It's usually in 45-minute sets, but I thought I recalled at least one set after 10 p.m.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses! Unfortunately it has not worked out business-wise for us to take this cruise. We would still like to take a shorter cruise on Oceania (10 days or so) to see if it's something we prefer. I have no doubt we would love cruising with Oceania, especially on one of the two large ships.