Visa for Myanmar

CincyAL

I enjoyed my afternoon reading about Bagan. It does indeed look like a wonderful place to visit. If only I was about 10 years younger! The trouble with this trip is that I personally do not handle heat well and afraid I would get heat exhaustion before I even got to the temples.

I saw that you could fly to Bagan. Anybody done that? I am not a fan of little local airplanes but that might beat 10 hours on train or longer on bus. Do you suppose a private car tour would be outrageous in price? Does not seem to be a very expensive local economy.

I enjoyed my afternoon reading about Bagan. It does indeed look like a wonderful place to visit. If only I was about 10 years younger! The trouble with this trip is that I personally do not handle heat well and afraid I would get heat exhaustion before I even got to the temples.

I saw that you could fly to Bagan. Anybody done that? I am not a fan of little local airplanes but that might beat 10 hours on train or longer on bus. Do you suppose a private car tour would be outrageous in price? Does not seem to be a very expensive local economy.

We flew there when we were in Myanmar on a land tours some years ago. It was just fine and I would definitely recommend that over driving there - you would spend most of your time in a car traveling there and back instead of enjoying Bagan. Not sure if it can be done as a day trip though - depending on flight schedules.

Edited by Paulchili

Agree with Paul. You need to fly. Myanmar is a 4th world country. They have been isolated for 20 years. Their transport infrastructure is really poor and air is the only way to reliability travel. Small plane YTR's are the plane of choice for domestic travel. I would recommend the O land tour that typically leaves at 4 am with a full day in Bagan and overnight at an excellent lodge. You are back on ship by 1pm next day. Why O -- you will not miss the ship should there be a delay on return flight. Guides were excellent.DSC_2003a_zpsvjorx4ou.jpg

DSC_1875_zpsi5pvx6vv.jpg

DSC_1954_01_zpsjfbdihvx.jpg

We're probably on the same segment - Singapore to Rome. Maybe you can call Oceania to book the tour if you want to go on it. We were in Bagan for 3 days in January 2013 and it is magical.

Thank you.

Most likely we will pass as we too have visited there before (and the cost is considerable)

Thank you Paul, That helped a lot. It's rather expensive though. I wonder if anyone books a tour for the port and does Bagan privately while the ship is docked? Nicole

I am sure that it could be done relatively safely on this itinerary as the ship is in port for 2 overnights - thus having enough time for potential delays in return flights.

You would have to check with tour operators in Myanmar re:cost of the trip.

Hi Barbara, and thanks for the info. We are booked for another cruise over that time for 2017, but I'm hoping it will be offered for 2018 as well. I looked on the web site and couldn't find a shore excursion to Bagan. Do you know of any? Nicole

Not sure what Bagan is. Can you educate me. Hubby "collects" UNESCO, National Parks (US mostly but others too) and 1000 places to see sights so if any of those he would be interested. We were surprised at the few excursions listed but probably because the country was so closed off for so long.

Good afternoon and please excuse my intrusion but I noted your questions about Bagan.

Bagan is without doubt the major draw of Myanmar’s fledgling tourist industry. From the 9th to 13th centuries the city was the capital of the Kingdom of Pagan, the first kingdom to unify the regions that would later constitute modern Myanmar. During the kingdom’s height between the 11th and 13th centuries, over 10,000 Buddhist temples, pagodas and monasteries were constructed in the Bagan plains alone, of which the remains of over 2200 temples and pagodas still survive to the present day.

Unfortunately it is some 626 Kilometres ( 389 miles) from Yangon though it is possible to fly between Bagan and Yangon.

It is such a remarkable place and should be a little more interested I have included it in my Irrawaddy river cruise review on my cruise blog...

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2016/03/10/princess-panhwar-on-the-road-to-mandalay/

25499538312_ac4d9e8d09_z.jpg

I am in the process of writing a review of Yangon as well and will have that published before Christmas.

• 1 month later...
Definitely a no-brainer. Re: my previous post. I just found it very interesting that you have to have photos and we didn't. Didn't end up with any actual Visa in our passports either, just a stamp for the country. A most interesting country with much discussion about "The Lady" by all of our guides. I hope the the crew member will be home. How special that would be.

(underlining mine)

J,

I am glad to let you know that I have heard from our friend in Myanmar and that he will be home when we visit.

Here is an excerpt from his e mail:

My dearest Paul and Marsha,

Really, I am happy that getting your message. Now I hope all you will be good health and happiness together with your lovely family. I always remember you. I am as well.

Now, I am in Yangon together with my parents. Can you let me know it will arrive which port and which place. I must come to there. And I want you to visit at downtown and some famous place in Yangon. Can you keep my phone number.......

Sincerely, I must wait 18 April 2017. Can you contact me with Viber to my phone before April. I would like to get a chance to see you again. May be happy. I miss you.

Warmely regards,

T........

When I had asked him if we can bring him anything from US (such as books not available locally - he has a graduate degree in marine biology but no positions available in his field), this is part of what he replied:

.....I hope it is better time April that is summer season in Myanmar. Can you take care of your health and bring the small USA flag only for me.

Really I am looking forward to getting the port information and your plan for these trip. Can you let me know anything else from here that I will prepare its for you. Have a great day for you...

Indeed it will be very special and we are really looking forward to seeing him again and meeting his family. We always stopped to chat with him on the ship as he was happy to practice his English and very proud to tell us about his country and teach us a few phrases (I'd better look them up before we visit as I had forgotten them :D). He has made great improvements in his English from when we last saw him (he was part of a cleaning crew that normally had no direct contact with passengers, probably due to his lack of English skills)

Edited by Paulchili

(underlining mine)

J,

I am glad to let you know that I have heard from our friend in Myanmar and that he will be home when we visit.

Paul

How nice you have kept in touch with him

He was such a nice person

I remember he was feeling the motion of the ocean on our trip but he still took time to chat

I gave him my bag of ginger candy & every time he saw us he was so appreciative

enjoy the visit

Lyn

Edited by LHT28

Paul

He was such a nice person

I remember he was feeling the motion of the ocean on our trip but he still took time to chat

I gave him my bag of ginger candy & every time he saw us he was so appreciative

enjoy the visit

Lyn

Lyn,

How nice that you remember him. Indeed he was (is) a very special young man.

(underlining mine)

J,

Here is an excerpt from his e mail:

My dearest Paul and Marsha,

Really, I am happy that getting your message. Now I hope all you will be good health and happiness together with your lovely family. I always remember you. I am as well.

Now, I am in Yangon together with my parents. Can you let me know it will arrive which port and which place. I must come to there. And I want you to visit at downtown and some famous place in Yangon. Can you keep my phone number.......

Sincerely, I must wait 18 April 2017. Can you contact me with Viber to my phone before April. I would like to get a chance to see you again. May be happy. I miss you.

Warmely regards,

T........

When I had asked him if we can bring him anything from US (such as books not available locally - he has a graduate degree in marine biology but no positions available in his field), this is part of what he replied:

.....I hope it is better time April that is summer season in Myanmar. Can you take care of your health and bring the small USA flag only for me.

Really I am looking forward to getting the port information and your plan for these trip. Can you let me know anything else from here that I will prepare its for you. Have a great day for you...

Indeed it will be very special and we are really looking forward to seeing him again and meeting his family. We always stopped to chat with him on the ship as he was happy to practice his English and very proud to tell us about his country and teach us a few phrases (I'd better look them up before we visit as I had forgotten them :D). He has made great improvements in his English from when we last saw him (he was part of a cleaning crew that normally had no direct contact with passengers, probably due to his lack of English skills)

Paul,

How wonderful that you and Marsha will be able to reconnect with him and meet his family. He will be so proud to share his homeland with you. It will make your visit so special. Some of the most memorable times on board ship are the interactions with crew members - even if they aren't long ones, they can be special. Thanks for taking the time to let me know.

Joanna

Joanna,

You are most welcome. Have you been back to the tapas restaurant in Barcelona since our last visit?

Paul

Have not been in Europe for awhile. Been other places on cruises. Going to London next week to watch our Colts play and then on to Salzburg, but all on land. Next year our cruise schedule full, none in Europe. But I do recommend it when I know anyone who's gong to be in Barcelona!

• 3 months later...

I'm getting so frustrated trying to make head or tail of the visa situation on the SIN - ROM sector.

One gets different answers from government websites, cruise critic posts, travel agents etc - and even the "official" ones are often very ambiguous!

One of the first posts on this thread for example (quoting email from O) says that

>> .....all guests are required to present the following items upon checking in for their cruise:

Myanmar Visa <<

I THINK this means that you have to present the application and photos - but reading it literally it actually says you have to have the actual visa!

I'm getting so frustrated trying to make head or tail of the visa situation on the SIN - ROM sector.

One gets different answers from government websites, cruise critic posts, travel agents etc - and even the "official" ones are often very ambiguous!

One of the first posts on this thread for example (quoting email from O) says that

>> .....all guests are required to present the following items upon checking in for their cruise:

Myanmar Visa <<

I THINK this means that you have to present the application and photos - but reading it literally it actually says you have to have the actual visa!

Wol,

I am on that cruise as well and your interpretation is correct. At least that is my interpretation as well after checking with my TA (who checked with Oceania).

We plan on getting our Myanmar visas onboard so that we can use our abundant OBC. I have the filled out applications and passport photos.

The Indian visa is a different story as that one you have to have prior to boarding (or one will not be allowed to board without the Indian visa).

See you onboard :)

Wol,

I am on that cruise as well and your interpretation is correct. At least that is my interpretation as well after checking with my TA (who checked with Oceania).

We plan on getting our Myanmar visas onboard so that we can use our abundant OBC. I have the filled out applications and passport photos.

The Indian visa is a different story as that one you have to have prior to boarding (or one will not be allowed to board without the Indian visa).

See you onboard :)

We got our Indian visas last week in Sydney. Is it your impression that the Indian one is the only one that a lack of would prevent boarding at the start of the segment?

There's so much conflicting information on Oman, Jordan, UAE, Israel - especially for those who haven't US passports, and/or arrive by sea, not at an airport.. We are dual British/Australian.

We got our Indian visas last week in Sydney. Is it your impression that the Indian one is the only one that a lack of would prevent boarding at the start of the segment?

There's so much conflicting information on Oman, Jordan, UAE, Israel - especially for those who haven't US passports, and/or arrive by sea, not at an airport.. We are dual British/Australian.

We are only going till Abu Dhabi - so, yes, the lack of Indian visa is the only one that would keep us from boarding. Cannot speak of Oman, Jordan and Israel on this cruise but have visited all those places before on a cruise and as US citizens we did not need visas to any of those countries (at least not ahead of time). I would imagine this would be true for UK citizens as well but best check to be sure.

• 1 year later...