Marina- is the dining venue that cost extra worth it?

piatty73

There are 3 menus each for a different price that are served pre fix for the group They are also pared with wines. Its fun and the interaction with the group is frosting on the cake. If you have special diet or food restrictions I would skip it.

Even though they can make some adjustment for special situations, the result would, I think fall short of what the chef was trying to create.... In other words if you can not enjoy the menu as it is I would skip it.

What Dan said, plus it's pretty much about the wine pairings. If you're not into that then don't do it. When we have OBC to burn and there are openings we do it. We've done it twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm hoping there are some openings on Marina on my upcoming cruise. I'll be ready to board it this time tomorrow. Gotta go finish last minute stuff.

You are referring to La Réserve. I had my doubts about this - until I tried it. I normally do not like wine pairings but at la Réserve the entire meal AND wines was just superb! The whole thing is well organised too. You arrive and are seated at a table outside the restaurant. Champagne is served. Your table-mates are the people you will sit with at the meal so you can start chatting to them. The whole evening flowed so well. I can't wait to do it again on our next cruise.

We had a wonderful evening at La Reserve.

Two of them, in fact.

We cancelled the third while on board.

The food was very good, and although mutltple courses, each was "large enough to satisfy, but not too large to leave room for the others".

(That doesn't mean there weren't a few bits we'd have LOVED to have more of :))

And the company was wonderful. It was nice to meet fellow travelers we might not otherwise have met, and to have time for extended conversation, not just a "Hi, nice to meet you".

However, we were *very* disappointed in the quality of the wines, and that was a big part of our reason to sign up - a chance to taste some new wines and perhaps find a few new favorites to enjoy at home.

(As a TA perk, we were given a freebie bottle of wine at a different wine tasting. It was about what one would expect for a freebie, or possibly *less*.)

And one of the wines served at La Reserve was that same wine.

That just confirmed that these weren't particularly good wines, rather than that we just happened to have encountered some nice wines that we personally didn't particularly like.

We would rather have paid more and had better wines to enjoy.

But that's just *our* opinion, obviously.

We would rather have paid more and had better wines to enjoy.

But that's just *our* opinion, obviously.

Speak to any Sommelier, and the Cellar Master will set you up for a Deluxe Dasting-

The cost varies based on the wines, but the pricepoints are usually set at $50 OR $100.

la-reserve-1.jpg

Some Tastings are Invitation Only, others are open to everyone, but they are scheduled duruing every voyage....and about 80% of them take place in La Reserve.

These Tastings are where they trot out the really good stuff....although a hard core California afficianado might feel slighted ;)

Speak to any Sommelier, and the Cellar Master will set you up for a Deluxe Dasting-

The cost varies based on the wines, but the pricepoints are usually set at $50 OR $100.

la-reserve-1.jpg

Some Tastings are Invitation Only, others are open to everyone, but they are scheduled duruing every voyage....and about 80% of them take place in La Reserve.

These Tastings are where they trot out the really good stuff....although a hard core California afficianado might feel slighted ;)

Thanks - very good to know.

We'll ask at the start of our next cruise.

Do they have a separate special wine list for "the good stuff" beyond what is on their regular wine list?

We found an old favorite on their that isn't usually that easy to find, so we were happy.

But we were just a bit surprised by the sparse listing of fine wine.

But none of that interfered in the least with our trip (that was the Riviera), and we can't wait to return.

We loved every moment.

("So many places, too little time...")

We did all three LaReserve menus on our last Marina cruise (many sea days). Two were great, one very good, great experience even if maybe one wine per evening wasn't outstanding. Extremely interesting mix of guests in such a limited venue, great conversations.

Check your upcoming cruise to see if any seats are left at the current advertised dinners. There are only 24 seats, and they tend to sell out fairly quickly. They may advertise more, once on board, and will add them, if they get enough to sign up, typically about 12 minimum. However, my TA always alerts me to when they allow sign ups and we do immediately. I've witnessed them sell out within the first week of being available for sell. On our next Marina cruise we have signed up for two of the three offered La Reserve dinners. It's only a 10 day cruise so add in an evening in all four specialties, and reserved night in ?? (my mind just went, the 10 person private dining facility between Polo and Toscano) for another special wine dinner, we are close to being booked up for dinners!

The wines at La Reserve are of acceptable quality but not really high end dollar wise. They are chosen primarily as great pairing wines to go with the exceptional food. That is what the event is about = wine pairings, not just drinking high end wines that may or may not pair properly with food!

Do they have a separate special wine list for "the good stuff" beyond what is on their regular wine list?

Talk to your favorite Sommelier, and if you dont have a favorite, cultivate one.

We found an old favorite on their that isn't usually that easy to find, so we were happy.

But we were just a bit surprised by the sparse listing of fine wine.

In order to make the "official" Wine List, Oceania must be able to purchase a goodly quantity.

Wines in shorter supply need to be suggested by a Sommelier-

PS Pinotlover gave some excellent advice in the previous post.

Edited by JimandStan

I agree with others. We did it on Riviera and it was absolutely worth it!

Agree with one caveat - you have to like your wines.

The food is great but if you don't drink or drink very little, then you are paying too much for the food alone (unless you have OBC to burn and nothing better to spend it on :D)

We did this twice. We have done many tasting menus with wine matching so were not new at the game.

The first experience was outstanding in every way. Delicious food and great wines with generous pours. The second time the food was meh, take it or leave it, nothing special at all. Same with the wines and the pours were skippy. 1 bottle / 8 people.

Which is fine for a tasting menu but our previous experience had spoiled us. This was in the early days and it seemed like they had decided to cut corners on the food and wine to increase profits. We decided it was not worthwhile and have never been tempted since. Maybe it was a bad evening for the staff. Your mileage may vary as others seem to enjoy.

Mo

• 2 weeks later...
What Dan said, plus it's pretty much about the wine pairings. If you're not into that then don't do it. When we have OBC to burn and there are openings we do it. We've done it twice now and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm hoping there are some openings on Marina on my upcoming cruise. I'll be ready to board it this time tomorrow. Gotta go finish last minute stuff.

hi,

in your past experience have there been a fair amount of openings?

my mom and i want to use our OBC for this also. if we dont, i dont know what else we will use it for.

thanks!

hi,

in your past experience have there been a fair amount of openings?

my mom and i want to use our OBC for this also. if we dont, i dont know what else we will use it for.

thanks!

They tend to book full early (before the cruise). You can always take a chance.

Sometimes when there is a large demand, they will add extra evenings.

hi,

thanks!

Spa , shopping, excursions, drinks & gratuities (if you do not get them included)

Spa , shopping, excursions, drinks & gratuities (if you do not get them included)

thanks. definitely using it for gratuities and my mom might buy a bottle of wine (i dont really drink)

last cruise we both got facials, but we dont have any days at sea this time and dont want to stay on the ship when we could be out exploring.

probably check out the excursions. :-)