O just keeps getting better or NOT

LHT28

We don't either but we've seen New England trips on both Oceania and NCL that were NOT during school vacation time. I confess I didn't check the dates on the "specials" that were being offered.

Thanks for the warning ... it's too bad since I'd have liked some of those itineraries.

Mura

Agree with you Mira. Oceania is making choices thinking they are adding to their bottom line but in our case loosing loyal passengers.

Just returned from a Crystal cruise which was less expensive than O and one of the best cruises we have ever experienced. Sad!

Agree with you Mira. Oceania is making choices thinking they are adding to their bottom line but in our case loosing loyal passengers.

Just returned from a Crystal cruise which was less expensive than O and one of the best cruises we have ever experienced. Sad!

Perhaps not so sad for you as it seems that you have found your new favorite cruise line - Crystal?

More sad for the rest of us.

Edited by Paulchili

I would like to do a New England cruise but not in late summer due to the chance of hurricanes/tropical storms

HAL have some earlier in the summer but it is HAL

I cannot imagine what O will do if a lot of families decide to take up the offer especially on the R ships

What were they thinking :eek:

I would like to do a New England cruise but not in late summer due to the chance of hurricanes/tropical storms

HAL have some earlier in the summer but it is HAL

I cannot imagine what O will do if a lot of families decide to take up the offer especially on the R ships

What were they thinking :eek:

Well the 3 NE/Canada cruises are all in August. Do you really think they don't have limited cabins available for families?

On the Alaskan cruises typically how many children are on board?

Interesting thread. Crystal has an amazing program for children (thankfully - so they don't sail on Oceania or Regent). Here is a link http://crystalcruisessale.com/crystal/menu.php?page=family_cruises .

So, if you know of anyone looking for families with children, recommend them to Crystal!!!!! IMO, referring them to Crystal is the perfect response for anyone asking about children on Oceania:)

Do you really think they don't have limited cabins available for families?

The R ships cabins are compact 165 sq ft fine for 2 adults

some may have the pull down beds but most are a small sofa bed

of course they could get 2 cabins but I am not sure how the "Children sail free" program works but unlikely they would give families a free cabin as well

Since the Alaska cruises up to now children had to pay the same fare as adults the cost may have been prohibitive for some families

JMO

Interesting thread. Crystal has an amazing program for children (thankfully - so they don't sail on Oceania or Regent). Here is a link http://crystalcruisessale.com/crystal/menu.php?page=family_cruises .

So, if you know of anyone looking for families with children, recommend them to Crystal!!!!! IMO, referring them to Crystal is the perfect response for anyone asking about children on Oceania:)

We travel with our young son (7). We have been sailing mostly on RCI, but our new TA strongly recommended Crystal for us - especially for Alaska...lol

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We travel with our young son (7). We have been sailing mostly on RCI, but our new TA strongly recommended Crystal for us - especially for Alaska...lol

Great! Hope that you enjoy it. As has been said many times, there is basically nothing for a child to do on an Oceania ship. Crystal sounds like the right choice:)

Great! Hope that you enjoy it. As has been said many times, there is basically nothing for a child to do on an Oceania ship. Crystal sounds like the right choice:)

LOL... you need not worry, we have not been looking at Oceania. I saw the kids sail free and wanted to see what was being discussed.

I am not entirely sold on Crystal. Love the ships, and Crystal gets rave reviews, but I am leaning more towards A&K for land-based tour of Alaska and / or Lindblad for cruise.

It may have been said many times but that doesn't make it true. There is a great kids program on the Alaska cruises.

Which cruise??

We are just back from a Serenity voyage. We enjoyed it -- especially the food, enrichment lectures and service. And yes it was cheaper per day than an equivalent Oceania Caribbean cruise during period.

Crystal did have a kids play area and a few children were on board, but they do not promote this.

Which cruise??

We are just back from a Serenity voyage. We enjoyed it -- especially the food, enrichment lectures and service. And yes it was cheaper per day than an equivalent Oceania Caribbean cruise during period.

Crystal did have a kids play area and a few children were on board, but they do not promote this.

We returned from two weeks on Serenity on December 20. The food was supurb and much more varied than on O and the butler service was the best we have ever experienced. We loved the lectures and the size of the ship as well.

I don't have a problem with a limited number of kids on board. Surely there will be limited availability for kids sail free. Even mass market lines supposedly have a ceiling on how many kids. Alaska is a multi generational destination and passengers from all lines are interested.

Some of the featured sailings are in August which is back to school month. School issues will limit the numbers booking cruises with kids. Schools down south start the first week, schools in many other states are starting the second or third week. Even many schools in the northeast are starting before Labor Day.

We spent time with one of the cruise consultants talking about Alaska for our extended family.

The children's program is for age five and up and will include kid oriented excursions, on board activities and use of the card room to play.

We've pretty much decided to wait another year or two as our little ones are very young. We may go with Princess anyway as they are the leader in Alaska. Oceania does not have Glacier bay permits and some of their itineraries are weak.

We are booked on our first two Oceania cruises. If this policy of "kids sail free" takes off, we will look at other options for our next endeavour. I have emailed Oceania and told them this.

We follow the same policy with restaurants and hotels. If kids eat or stay free we avoid them. Why? ...because someone has to subsidize this and (1) it should not subsidized by someone who does not ever plan to take advantage of this (2) I don't want to be subjected to other people's children on a vacation. We have passed that part in our life.

Now if Oceania were to add a policy that seniors pay less.....

IMO Oceania has missed the mark on what their targeted demographic should be.

IMO Oceania has missed the mark on what their targeted demographic should be.

They may be trying to get a younger crowd on the ships to take the place of the older ones that are not returning ;)

I am not against having a limited number of children but the "sailing free" will change things :eek: