Gut and Mrs Gut's adventure

GUT2407

OK I'll try my hand at a review.

But because the learned Mrs Gut wants some money (for things like cleaning products and other non-essentials I will have to break it up.

I will try and keep it logical (but that's not how my brain works so don't expect too much logic).

Where do you start with a review of a 34 day cruise. Perhaps at the beginning.

We booked this as a consolation prize after missing out on another cruise we were looking at taking. However it is one we wanted to do since our first cruise almost 11 years ago. I should say at this point that we were both a little apprehensive over the size of the Diamond, by far the biggest ship we have ever been on, we had a B2 balcony on C deck. The larger balcony wasn't so much the attraction as the location. My wife has a neurological condition and midship is much more comfortable for her than fore or aft.

We embarked at the OPT in Sydney on 22 October, the weather was awful, no great shock there as we were on holidays and if we are on holidays it WILL rain, it's just one of those facts.

One of the beauties of Princess is that your cabin is ready when you board, so straight to our cabin, drop our carry on luggage and off to explore.

Sailaway was delayed a little and the rain and cloud removed a little of the spectacular aspect of sailaway.

Forgot to say, we had C501 extended balcony, officially a mid-aft, but on that deck mid consisted of four suits, so really a mid.

A great position and the extended balcony, half under cover half open about 3mx3m was nice.

In all honesty I'm not sure that I'd pay for the extended balcony if I didn't want the location.

Balcony had two nice chairs with foot stools and a small table.

I do miss having a sofa in the cabin, but I think that would be my only complaint on that score.

It may help to say I little about us.

We are both professionals in our 50s, we are at times time poor and one huge attraction to cruising is being able to simply have time together to catch up.

I guess it's fair to say that we are lucky in that after 35 years we still like being together, we have an adult daughter (as many of you found out when I had to brag about her exam results) who still loves at home, and a sone who is married and living in Victoria.

Both of us only started studying in our 30s.

I am known as a bit of a hermit, it would be fair to say that I'm not really a people person.

There are a few things that this review won't really cover, one is the shows, due to Mrs Gs head we just don't do them, the lights and loud music cause her problems. We also didn't do any organized tours, we had two planned but had to pass for various reasons.

In most ports we just did our own thing.

Also neither of us drink, so while I had a look at the drinks menus I can't claim to be an expert on them, now if you want to know about Diet Coke I'm your man, tried a few micktails and shakes and Mrs Gut gave the coffee and tea (mainly Chai Latte) a pretty good work out.

Great to be ready your ongoing review GUT.

Did you try the Sterling Steakhouse? We didnt get a chance on our last trip but did hear rave reviews. Wondering if you liked it?

Super glad to hear that overall your trip was wonderful :)

Great to be ready your ongoing review GUT.

Did you try the Sterling Steakhouse? We didnt get a chance on our last trip but did hear rave reviews. Wondering if you liked it?

Super glad to hear that overall your trip was wonderful :)

Didn't do Stirling this time, we have in the past and always loved it.

To be honest we found so many options and are not real keen on having it as part of Horizon Court much preferred to old separate restaurant with a bit of ambiance.

In my opinion they should use the current Stirling area as Either traditional or ATD venue and one of the ATD venues as Stirling.

But that's just my 2c on the location.

However some friends went and said the food was as good as they had become used to.

Thanks, I'm atill trying to work out how to do it, bit by bit.

Having done a few reviews over the years. GUT, if you don't mind some advice, why not do it this way under sub titles.

EMBARKATION

CABIN

APPEARANCE/CONDITION OF SHIP

FOOD in MDR/Horizon Court.

CREW/SERVICE

ENTERTAINMENT

PORTS OF CALL

WEATHER/SEA CONDITIONS

DISEMBARKATION

Trusting this assists you old son.

Having done a few reviews over the years. GUT, if you don't mind some advice, why not do it this way under sub titles.

EMBARKATION

CABIN

APPEARANCE/CONDITION OF SHIP

FOOD in MDR/Horizon Court.

CREW/SERVICE

ENTERTAINMENT

PORTS OF CALL

WEATHER/SEA CONDITIONS

DISEMBARKATION

Trusting this assists you old son.

Thanks uncle Les more or less what I was planning.

Times the biggy.

A fair mix of nationalities

Aussies

Kiwis

Yanks

POMS

Asians

Probably in that order.

Not such a spread in ages, Mrs Gut and I felt like kids, first leg (Syd-Perth) we were told average age was about 76, I suspect it dropped a little after Perth.

We were, unfortunately, met in many ports by ambulances and in Wellington we were told that to date there had been eight deaths (not sure of the accuracy of that number but it was what we were told) and that sounded about right for cruise of this length (by then over 4 weeks) and the demographics.

Most PAX we had any interaction with we're lovely people, unfortunately some thought hey we're entitled to be rude and some would complain if they won lotto (I'll post some examples letter, but really wished I'd written them down as I heard them). We got some great laughs.

Remember what I said earlier about not being a social person, well we actually made friends with some people that I suspect we will keep in touch with, (the kids called me a liar when they heard this).

A fair mix of nationalities

Aussies

Kiwis

Yanks

POMS

Asians

Probably in that order.

Not such a spread in ages, Mrs Gut and I felt like kids, first leg (Syd-Perth) we were told average age was about 76, I suspect it dropped a little after Perth.

We were, unfortunately, met in many ports by ambulances and in Wellington we were told that to date there had been eight deaths (not sure of the accuracy of that number but it was what we were told) and that sounded about right for cruise of this length (by then over 4 weeks) and the demographics.

Most PAX we had any interaction with we're lovely people, unfortunately some thought hey we're entitled to be rude and some would complain if they won lotto (I'll post some examples letter, but really wished I'd written them down as I heard them). We got some great laughs.

Remember what I said earlier about not being a social person, well we actually made friends with some people that I suspect we will keep in touch with, (the kids called me a liar when they heard this).

Oh my really? 2 / week . I mean ok on the age but gosh that sounds a lot. I had no idea :eek:

Oh my really? 2 / week . I mean ok on the age but gosh that sounds a lot. I had no idea :eek:

I have been told that the average across all lines is about 1 in 2000 per week, so with the older demographic we had been warned that out of 2600 PAX a week would be about the average,