CPAP Questions Deliziosa

tnt10

We will be travelling on the Deliziosa and both of us use CPAP machines.

My questions are:

1. Can I buy distilled water onboard or will they let me bring it onboard?

2. What about outlets and extension cords? Neither of our machines are dual voltage, so will need either US plugs near the head of the bed or be able to use extension cords and/or adaptors/converters.

Sorry, but I haven't been able to read about these items specially on any other threads.

Thanks,

tnt

We will be travelling on the Deliziosa and both of us use CPAP machines.

My questions are:

1. Can I buy distilled water onboard or will they let me bring it onboard?

2. What about outlets and extension cords? Neither of our machines are dual voltage, so will need either US plugs near the head of the bed or be able to use extension cords and/or adaptors/converters.

Sorry, but I haven't been able to read about these items specially on any other threads.

Thanks,

tnt

Have you contacted Costa or your TA?

For medical questions I always prefer to go straight to the horse's mouth.

The medical clinic on board says they stock distilled water if they know CPAP machines are on board, prior notice is required to ensure they have sufficient stock.

There is one US 110v outlet at the desk (also a Euro 220v), an extension cord would be a good idea. I don't know what the maximum current allowed is (irons are not permitted). The outlet in the bathroom turns off with the light.

I cruise regularly and use a CPAP machine. Distilled water is usually available if notice is given. Check the specs label on your CPAP machine. Just about every machine made in the last 7 years is universal voltage, anywhere from 100 volts to 240 volts. Some also work on 12 volt DC for airplane use. The only difference is the plug incompatibilities.

Be careful with the 110 volt outlets in cabins, they are usually only for shavers and low wattage devices. Many CPAP machines have heaters for the humidification, and the heating element may exceed the capability of the 110 volt outlet. But, as noted, if you just bring a cheap US blade plug to European round prong adapter, and a short extension cord, any universal voltage CPAP will be fine. Each night, I fill the reservoir with distilled water, roll out the extension cord to the desk where the outlets are located, and plug in.

I cruise regularly and use a CPAP machine. Distilled water is usually available if notice is given. Check the specs label on your CPAP machine. Just about every machine made in the last 7 years is universal voltage, anywhere from 100 volts to 240 volts. Some also work on 12 volt DC for airplane use. The only difference is the plug incompatibilities.

Be careful with the 110 volt outlets in cabins, they are usually only for shavers and low wattage devices. Many CPAP machines have heaters for the humidification, and the heating element may exceed the capability of the 110 volt outlet. But, as noted, if you just bring a cheap US blade plug to European round prong adapter, and a short extension cord, any universal voltage CPAP will be fine. Each night, I fill the reservoir with distilled water, roll out the extension cord to the desk where the outlets are located, and plug in.

I recently contacted my PCC to advised that I would be using a CPAP machine and would need distilled water in the cabin.

When I asked about reserving an extension cord (which was an option on DCL), she said they (NCL) recommends bringing your own 4ft cord. 4ft? That doesn't seem long enough. Granted, I only have DCL as a reference point, but I'm inclined to believe that most ships have the same configuration and the only true outlet is by the desk. On DCL, we needed at least a 20ft cord.

I don't mind bringing my own, I just want to make sure I bring one that is adequate in length. We are sailing on the Getaway on June 5th and staying in an aft cabin.

I have received information about my CPAP device (from the manufacturer) and Costa.

I emailed Customer Service and was emailed back a Special Needs Information Form (5 pages) that needs to be completed and returned no later than 27 days prior to my sail date.

I asked about distilled water, and was told that it would be provided as long as I told them how much I needed per day.

Asked about the voltage and plug(s). Was told that the ship has alternating 220-110 volts, so if my machine has universal compatibility (it does), all I would need is a plug adapter.

I was also told that there is a plug at the head of the bed, so no extension cord would be necessary.

So, appears that my questions have been answered. I will still bring an extension cord for my hotel room in Venice, as well as the universal plug adapter, a letter from my doctor certifying my need for positive airway pressure therapy, and a copy of my CPAP manufacturer's statement of FAA compliance letter for my CPAP.

Hope this helps...

tnt

Edited by tnt10