First Costa Cruise

Marjar

My husband and I are taking our first Costa Cruise on the Costa Diadema from Rome on September 9, 2016. I use these boards extensively, but am somewhat frustrated by the lack of presence on the boards regarding Costa Cruises, shore excursions, ship experience etc. Also, the Costa website is less than stellar in giving shore excursion information. I am unable to find any reviews of the shore excursions anywhere. I also am alarmed to read that often the shore excursions are cancelled due to not enough people. Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a European equivalent of cruise critic that I can go to for information?

I was kind of bummed when I was first looking for reviews in English about Costa. The reason is there are simply less English people that cruise with them. The reviews I did find were usually horrible which made me nervous. If you can read Italian there is a plethora of facebook groups and forums about Costa, luckily I speak Italian so I usually get all my information there. There is a uk cruise site that has some Costa reviews but they weren't very helpful to me because they seem to compare Costa to P&O and other English lines which I have never cruised on and don't ever plan to honestly. I just decided to go and had a wonderful time. I recently cruised with Carnival in Caribbean and I find Costa to be much better (but that's just my opinion). I will be on the Diadema in 12 days so I can answer any questions you have about it when I get back. I don't really do shore excursions because I find it's pretty easy and cheaper to do European ports on my own. It's a lot easier here than in the Caribbean. The English shore excursions do get cancelled because of lack of English speakers on the ship.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Most cruiselines operate the same way so with your experience you should have no problems. Costa is an Italian cruiseline so treat it as if you were visiting Italy. Don't expect the same food or wine. There is alot more seafood than other cruiselines and alot less meat. If you are meat and potatoes person, you are on the wrong cruiseline. However, they have great pasta and gelato. The wines are almost all Italian, but inexpensive, cheaper than Princess. The announcements are up to 6 different languages. It is not a problem, unless the announcer has such a heavy Italian accent that you can't tell one language from another. Their shore excursions are priced less than other cruiselines. We sailed only once with Costa, a few months ago, and the only excursion was for a time-constraint excursion (where if we went on our own, missing the boat was a possibility.) Sometimes, the excursion will done in more than one language (like ours, although a little abbreviated). If you like dancing, you will have a great time. Music is quite varied, but entertainment could be better. If you like socializing on a cruiseship, this may be the wrong line unless you speak Italian or German. Many of the older passengers will not be able to carry on a conversation with you. If you treat this cruise like you are visiting Italy, you will have a great time else :( or :mad:

I was kind of bummed when I was first looking for reviews in English about Costa. The reason is there are simply less English people that cruise with them. The reviews I did find were usually horrible which made me nervous. If you can read Italian there is a plethora of facebook groups and forums about Costa, luckily I speak Italian so I usually get all my information there. There is a uk cruise site that has some Costa reviews but they weren't very helpful to me because they seem to compare Costa to P&O and other English lines which I have never cruised on and don't ever plan to honestly. I just decided to go and had a wonderful time. I recently cruised with Carnival in Caribbean and I find Costa to be much better (but that's just my opinion). I will be on the Diadema in 12 days so I can answer any questions you have about it when I get back. I don't really do shore excursions because I find it's pretty easy and cheaper to do European ports on my own. It's a lot easier here than in the Caribbean. The English shore excursions do get cancelled because of lack of English speakers on the ship.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks for your comments! This is our first time to Europe and we went the cruise ship route so we didn't have to deal with planes, trains and automobiles:) But I want to see some of Europe, so I am nervous about my shore excursions being cancelled and being left without a plan. I do think that the shore excursions seem to be reasonably priced..so I want to use them in some cases, but all I have to go on is the rather limited information that Costa puts on its website. I wish I did speak Italian! Or any other language for that matter. The USA does not stress language in its education system unfortunately. I had three years of Spanish, but I am afraid that living in northern Minnesota, that is long forgotten now. I guess I will make a plan B for all of my ship shore excursions, just in case....

I will most assuredly have some questions for you when you get back, if you don't mind:)

Most cruiselines operate the same way so with your experience you should have no problems. Costa is an Italian cruiseline so treat it as if you were visiting Italy. Don't expect the same food or wine. There is alot more seafood than other cruiselines and alot less meat. If you are meat and potatoes person, you are on the wrong cruiseline. However, they have great pasta and gelato. The wines are almost all Italian, but inexpensive, cheaper than Princess. The announcements are up to 6 different languages. It is not a problem, unless the announcer has such a heavy Italian accent that you can't tell one language from another. Their shore excursions are priced less than other cruiselines. We sailed only once with Costa, a few months ago, and the only excursion was for a time-constraint excursion (where if we went on our own, missing the boat was a possibility.) Sometimes, the excursion will done in more than one language (like ours, although a little abbreviated). If you like dancing, you will have a great time. Music is quite varied, but entertainment could be better. If you like socializing on a cruiseship, this may be the wrong line unless you speak Italian or German. Many of the older passengers will not be able to carry on a conversation with you. If you treat this cruise like you are visiting Italy, you will have a great time else :( or :mad:

I understand that Costa will be different, and I am ok with that. I am mostly looking at it as a floating hotel, to get us from one place to another. I'm sure I will enjoy the on board experience :) I am just concerned about the shore excursions being cancelled as I am an over planner and have trouble letting go of my PLAN. So hopefully, we won't get cancelled on too much, but in any case I am going to try to have a plan B in place. Thanks for your input!

When they cancelled an excursion with a English-speaking guide, they usually throw you in with another group, but it will probably be in Italian. Don't fret, most guides are multi-lingual and they usually speak English and they will answer your questions. Sometimes, when they merged two groups, the excursion may be done in two languages. However, if you are the only one or two, don't bet on it. At that time of year, Sept., there will probably be sufficent number of English-speaking passengers, mostly from the UK. Just do your homework beforehand and get a synopsis of what you will be visiting in case you get stuck in a non-English speaking excursion.

I use these boards extensively, but am somewhat frustrated by the lack of presence on the boards regarding Costa Cruises, shore excursions, ship experience etc. Also, the Costa website is less than stellar in giving shore excursion information.

I just got off my first Costa cruise on the small NeoClassica and enjoyed it but I'm easy to please. We docked alongside the Diadema in Marseilles and that's one large ship!

I am unable to find any reviews of the shore excursions anywhere. I also am alarmed to read that often the shore excursions are cancelled due to not enough people.

Shore excursions in English were indeed cancelled due to lack of sign-up but the NeoClassica only has 1300+ passengers while the Diadema carries almost 5000. I would doubt that excursions on such a large ship would not have at least 1 english excursion (most popular) per port. The make-up of our cruise based on the attendance at the shows were 35% French, 35% italian, 15% german, 10% british, 5% other.

here's a link to my "quick" review:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49424182&postcount=8

If you do as you say, that is treat it as a luxury hotel for getting from one place to another, all will be fine! I used that in one of my reviews!!!

We have done Costa every year, we have a great time. As for more fish on a menu, we don't eat any fish and find plenty of meat dishes. I did try fish once, but it still had its head and the eyes were looking at me. Never happens with cows......its just meat!

All of the people from the States are impressed with the costs. The all inclusive is a fraction of your Carnival price, the excursions the same. The public address has always been done by an English person. No problem understanding....if you can wait through the Italian first. Just be thankful you aren't French or Spanish, you can wait 5 minutes. But I have to say I learnt nothing from a PA that I didn't already know from the daily magazine or asking. Everyone of the ships crew spoke good English, from room stewards to waiters. And there is an English cruise member purely for English speakers. Its true, sometimes on many cruises they have nothing to do!

Never having done a Costa excursion, cant comment, but it does seem common for the English ones to be cancelled. We always do our own, a little homework before we travel and we have had some amazing local guides for similar money. Where are you going?

The other comment is correct though....you may end up on a table full of different nationalities. Language can be a barrier in this situation. But like he said....pretend its Italy! Which technically it is.

Have a great time, any other questions, just ask here, there are lots who love Costa and as with all other lines, lots who detest Costa!

We are off again in May.

Lamchops-

thanks so much for the info and the link to your review! Lots of great information-especially how long breakfast usually takes in the MDR. We will have to consider that in the morning..I love my hot breakfast, but I also love my sleep. Also, the wine deal sounds like a good deal. With so many port days, I didn't think the alcohol package would be worth it, but wine at dinner would be great. I was kind of wondering how they handle the muster drills with people embarking in multiple ports? You only have to do it once, right?

Malnik

Thanks for your comments. I must say I am feeling somewhat better having heard from some that have cruised Costa enjoyed it. There are a lot of negative comments from those who expected it to be just like the experience they have had on other cruise lines. I am expecting it to be different than what we are used to, having only cruised in the Caribbean, primarily. I will say that I have been looking for Non-Costa excursions to do in the ports and even those I am finding some difficulty locating. I am using tripadvisor mostly because these boards don't seem to have as much info on European cruiseport excursions. We are porting in Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, and Cagliari Sardinia.

I will say that I have been looking for Non-Costa excursions to do in the ports and even those I am finding some difficulty locating. I am using tripadvisor mostly because these boards don't seem to have as much info on European cruiseport excursions. We are porting in Savona, Marseille, Barcelona, Palma de Mallorca, and Cagliari Sardinia.

Mustering at each port is very discreet and we only noticed as people were wearing life jackets. Most of the mustering was done between 4-5pm and a majority of the existing passengers were still in port.

I'm a DIYer when it comes to excursions and will only use ship's tours when time is an issue or a long journey is involved. I been to 3 of the ports that your'e going to so I'll offer some DIY options. DW and I enjoy walking and absorbing some of the local atmosphere along with seeing the sight. "Google maps" walking directions, some research, and a Scout compass are all we need. We don't speak Spanish or Italian but have some high school French from 40+ years ago and had no issues.

If you are embarking in Savona, stay at the NH Savona Darsena as it's 400 yards to the port building.

Savona: (embarked) It's a port town with only a few tourist sites. It's a 15 minute walk to Priamar Fortress from port. We spent 1+ hour looking around before heading for the beach area SW of the fort. It was a nice area and I imagine it would be nicer with more people as we were there in Feb. From there we went to see the Sistine Chapel (open when ship's are in) We also went to the public market and walked around "Old Town" before going back to the ship.

76-large-646a252a1eabfa2b39722d060b350c1c.jpg

Marseille: Take either the ship's shuttle or port shuttle into town. They drop off at "Old Port" (Vieux Port) and you can see the fish merchants selling their catch. Spend some time there before catching the $2eu bus #60 (on the main st beside the $8eu Petit train) to Notre Dame de La Gard. If you get back to the shuttle area early, there's the Fort St. Jean museum as well as a couple of others within a 100 yard radius.

Barcelona: We spent 6 days post cruise and there's lot to see and do. With only a port day I would do Sagrada Familia, Picasso Museum, and walk along Las Ramblas back to the ship. I think you can book a $24eu guided tour on line to insure entrance. The subway system is really easy to use. Doing my suggestions in reverse may avoid some of the ship's crowd but only if you've pre-booked.

Edited by lamchops

Lamchops,

thanks for your suggestions for DIY in port. There is a wine tour in Savona, that I really want to take, so most likely I will book that and have the DIY port tour as a backup plan. It didn't look to me that there was too much to do in Savona, but I'm sure we can amuse ourselves for a few hours. In Marseille, I would like to see the Calanques so will most likely book the ship excursion for this and again, hope for the best. I couldn't find many private tours that would be operating on a Sunday, which is when we are in port. The ship tour is only 4 hours, so I hope to have time to do the Cathedral on our own. In Barcelona, I think will go on our own, since there is so much to see in walking distance of the ship. The other ports I haven't decided yet. Thanks for your input!

Hey Marjar,

I didn't mention that I am American too :) I've lived in Europe the last decade, my husband is Italian so that's why we tried Costa initially. Since I'll be embarking next week I can pick up some papers/or ask for info if you want (shore excursions, wine package info) just tell me what you want to see and I'll look for it. My itinerary is slightly different than yours as we won't be in Cagliari. I also lived in Rome for years prior to France so if you have questions for there let me know!

Amelie,

thanks for the offer! I have been focusing on non-ship shore excursions when I can find them, but often they require a minimum # of passengers to operate and want you to try to get more cruisemates interested from the roll call. Easier said than done, when there is so little activity on the Costa roll calls. so a little frustration on my end. do you have any must see/do activities in Marseille, Barcelona, and Palma de Mallorca? In Marseille I would like to see the Calanques and the ship tour seems to be the best option. But I am also considering tours to Aix en Provence and or Cassis. Do you having lived in France think that either of these is a good alternative? In Barcelona, we will DIY either walking and or using the metro. In Palma de Mallorca, I am torn between the train to Soller or an excursion through the Serra de Tramuntana mountain range. Have you any experience with these?

Thanks for your European expertise!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for your comments! This is our first time to Europe and we went the cruise ship route so we didn't have to deal with planes, trains and automobiles:) But I want to see some of Europe, so I am nervous about my shore excursions being cancelled and being left without a plan. I do think that the shore excursions seem to be reasonably priced..so I want to use them in some cases, but all I have to go on is the rather limited information that Costa puts on its website. I wish I did speak Italian! Or any other language for that matter. The USA does not stress language in its education system unfortunately. I had three years of Spanish, but I am afraid that living in northern Minnesota, that is long forgotten now. I guess I will make a plan B for all of my ship shore excursions, just in case....

I will most assuredly have some questions for you when you get back, if you don't mind:)

I called Costa. If your excursions are cancelled you can ask to be put in another language group. You may also be able to do an excursion on your own for less money.

I called Costa. If your excursions are cancelled you can ask to be put in another language group. You may also be able to do an excursion on your own for less money.

Moosie2014-

I guess another language group would be an option for certain tours (primarily scenic etc) but for historical sites I would think an English guide would be important. I have been looking for excursions outside of the cruise ship shore excursions, but in most cases they require a minimum # of passengers to run, or they are crazy expensive for private tours. I have been spoiled by the Caribbean as there are tons of reasonable private shore excursions there. I will keep looking but there is no activity on my roll call so not much chance of generating a group there.

Thanks for your help. PS ..I also called Costa for more info on their excursions and they had nothing other than the description they have on their website! Not much help there....

• 2 weeks later...

We have done all the ports except Palma.

Seriously consider looking yourself, we have had some great times, not in a cruise ship tour.

Marseilles, we did an electric bicycle tour. We had our own guide, all day, saw places you will never see on a ship tour. We asked them to take us to a beach and so he did, added it on to our tour. Want ice cream, just ask, want coffee, just ask....etc etc. We set some parameters what we wanted and they were ready for us. Got a taxi off the ship, yes you can get a free bus but time is precious. Taxi for 2 is similar to the cost of the ship transfer. (It was in most ports).

Barcelona we got a taxi into town, to the cable car at the beach side, its furthest. Take cable car ride, stop for coffee at top where you get off, walk down into town centre. Its a great waterfront. Then walk up through the town to the Gothic quarter and marvel at the buildings, sights, food, market....just about everything. Eat/drink where you want. End up back at water front and get cab back. If your energetic as we are, we walked through the water front centre back to the beach and had a swim for a couple of hours. Depends on how long you are in, last time we only had 5 hours so just did city, no swim.....

If you are in town, a taxi is easy, if yu are out by the beach, make sure you give yourself time to get back as taxi isn't so easy to find.

Cagliari was the Gem in the crown for us! We hired a local guide for a foodie tour. Again, set out what we wanted, he met us off the ship, in his car, did some history tour, Cathederal, showed us some WW2 bomb damage....which I said strange, why would the Germans bomb Cagliari, he pointed it out it wasn't the Germans, it was us! That gives you a different perspective! He showed us much of the town we would never see in a bus. The roads are too small.

Then market where he had arranged tasting of local food and wine. We could eat as much as wanted, very jovial shop keeper, no pressure to buy. But I did.... Then to the beach, we always like a swim, kids went off and I sat in a beach side cafe with the guide chatting. Then he dropped us back at the ship. Best day on any cruise.

I'm not sure if I can promote him here....

Savona, we boarded, like someone else we stayed at NH Savona, perfect, the ship will be at your balcony! You can walk over and drop your cases and return after having a walk around if you want.

There is a great castle here, nice walk along the promenade complete with a statue of Garibaldi. Nothing commercialised here.

If you can send me a message somehow I can point you in the right direction to book. The costs are similar to ship cruises, often cheaper. We are a family so for us it makes huge sense, big saving.

Hope this hasnt bored you....

Malnik-

Thank you for the awesome information! There are 4 of us traveling so good to know that taxis are often cheaper than ship transfers. This should be especially true with 4 of us. I would love the information you have on the Cagliari tour you took! My son in law would be all over the foodie tour! And I have been unsure what to do in this port. We plan to do lots of walking in Barcelona, as well, there is no shortage of things to see there. Thanks!!

With 4 of you, taxi will definitely be better value and quicker!!

Cagliari, the company is called, Culture Sardinia, email: info@culturesardinia.com

His name is Alesandro, tell him we recommend him!

Not sure if this will stay here, I will try and find a PM for you.

I should have added, the Marseilles bikes were very easy to ride, we even cycled up the hill to the Church, the electric motor makes it easy.

With 4 of you, taxi will definitely be better value and quicker!!

Cagliari, the company is called, Culture Sardinia, email: info@culturesardinia.com

His name is Alesandro, tell him we recommend him!

Not sure if this will stay here, I will try and find a PM for you.

I should have added, the Marseilles bikes were very easy to ride, we even cycled up the hill to the Church, the electric motor makes it easy.

Thanks, I wrote the information down so I can follow up on it.