Bringing Japanese Sake on board

shrimp56

I am wondering how HAL handles sake. While it is brewed, it is not wine, but not beer either, but has an alcohol level of 15-16% like wine. Can you bring it on as wine with corkage or will they store it until the end of the cruise? Also how would they handle half-bottles? Is the 1 bottle a person any size or do 2 half bottles make a whole?

This is an iffy issue and will depend on the judgement of a low level rushed baggage checker . I will say the more your bottle looks like a standard bottle of wine the better .As you wrote, sake is not wine and thus could reasonably be barred . In a related issue, I have heard of bottles of port and sherry being both waved though at times and rejected at others .

We took sake aboard the Volemdam a couple of times and it has always been treated as wine.

The definition in wikipedia is:

Sake (Japanese: 酒?), also spelled saké (IPA /ˈsɑːkeɪ/ SAH-kay or /ˈsɑːki/ SAH-kee)[1][2] in English, is a Japanese rice wine made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. Unlike wine, in which alcohol (ethanol) is produced by fermenting sugar that is naturally present in fruit, typically grapes; sake is produced by a brewing process more like that of beer, where the starch is converted into sugars before being converted to alcohol.

Hope that helps

We took sake aboard the Volemdam a couple of times and it has always been treated as wine.

The definition in wikipedia is:

Sake (Japanese: 酒?), also spelled saké (IPA /ˈsɑːkeɪ/ SAH-kay or /ˈsɑːki/ SAH-kee)[1][2] in English, is a Japanese rice wine made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran. Unlike wine, in which alcohol (ethanol) is produced by fermenting sugar that is naturally present in fruit, typically grapes; sake is produced by a brewing process more like that of beer, where the starch is converted into sugars before being converted to alcohol.

Hope that helps

Thanks, but it actually the article is wrong as most Western attempts to describe it are. The fact that is brewed takes it off the wine list, but it's not beer either. There are Asian wines such as plum that are made in a wine manner. Basically Wikipedia has contradicted themselves. But for HAL purposes it's wine ;)

I have taken a Sake Professional Seminar and am a Certified Sake Professional, which means I passed a grueling test and know more than is healthy, probably.( At my age it was for my pleasure, but I'm always happy to share what I know.)

The difference is that sake is made through a multiple parallel fermentation, rather than as two separate processes. It converts the starch in the rice into sugar and then into alcohol in the same tank. The process itself is fascinating. But I digress ;) If you are interested there are two films available to stream from Amazon. "The Birth of Sake" and "Kampai! For the Love of Sake."

Thanks, but it actually the article is wrong as most Western attempts to describe it are. The fact that is brewed takes it off the wine list, but it's not beer either. There are Asian wines such as plum that are made in a wine manner. Basically Wikipedia has contradicted themselves. But for HAL purposes it's wine ;)

I have taken a Sake Professional Seminar and am a Certified Sake Professional, which means I passed a grueling test and know more than is healthy, probably.( At my age it was for my pleasure, but I'm always happy to share what I know.)

The difference is that sake is made through a multiple parallel fermentation, rather than as two separate processes. It converts the starch in the rice into sugar and then into alcohol in the same tank. The process itself is fascinating. But I digress ;) If you are interested there are two films available to stream from Amazon. "The Birth of Sake" and "Kampai! For the Love of Sake."

I think you are asking too much of a security person on a gangway know about sake way you have become educated. Do you really want to hold up a line of people behind you waiting to board while you argue and educate the crew on the gangway about this bottle of alcohol you demand to bring aboard? While it may not be your favorite brand , HAL has sake aboard. erhaps that can be adequate enough for your exspertise to survive drinking t during your cruise? this is one of those cases where our own selfish interest can over shadow the needs of others while we argue our pesonal batrtle. Why not try to manage without bringing your sake which is likely to delay others behind you in line depending how hard you argue your position.

If you are sailing a ship that has a Tamarind, you may be lucky to find a brand of sake offered that can satisfy you.

Edited by sail7seas

I think you are asking too much of a security person on a gangway know about sake way you have become educated. Do you really want to hold up a line of people behind you waiting to board while you argue and educate the crew on the gangway about this bottle of alcohol you demand to bring aboard? While it may not be your favorite brand , HAL has sake aboard. erhaps that can be adequate enough for your exspertise to survive drinking t during your cruise? this is one of those cases where our own selfish interest can over shadow the needs of others while we argue our pesonal batrtle. Why not try to manage without bringing your sake which is likely to delay others behind you in line depending how hard you argue your position.

If you are sailing a ship that has a Tamarind, you may be lucky to find a brand of sake offered that can satisfy you.

I'm sorry if I offended. Over 20 years of telling students that Wikipedia is not a research reference I may be a bit touchy. And I failed to mention that I am boarding in Yokohama, so these will be bottles that I can't get in the US.

Of course I won't hold up the line, sail. Not my style.

My explanation was in response to the Wiki quote. I'll just say it's Japanese wine and if they say they need to hold it that's fine. I'd just rather keep it with me. And if they say I need to pay corkage for each half bottle over 2, I will. Getting this sake in Japan is worth the price.

At the risk of stirring up further controversy, the sake in Tamarind on Eurodam is Momokawa's entry level and is rather ordinary. I ordered a dry white wine instead. (It would be interesting to see if Koningsdam has a better list.) I will miss James Deering. He brought on a private stash which he shared in various sake tastings. And who knows, Volendam may have taken on some better sake since they've been in Asia all season. In any case can't wait to see Japan again and to cross the Pacific on the lovely Volendam.

Apologies again.

I'm sorry if I offended. Over 20 years of telling students that Wikipedia is not a research reference I may be a bit touchy. And I failed to mention that I am boarding in Yokohama, so these will be bottles that I can't get in the US.

Of course I won't hold up the line, sail. Not my style.

My explanation was in response to the Wiki quote. I'll just say it's Japanese wine and if they say they need to hold it that's fine. I'd just rather keep it with me. And if they say I need to pay corkage for each half bottle over 2, I will. Getting this sake in Japan is worth the price.

Shrimp, There is nothing fcor you to apologize and I hope I did not offend you. hag That wsas cedtainly. not my intention Seeing you are boarding in Japan could make a dsifference. I had no idera thagt was your embarkation port. Hope you have a terrific cruise. Travel l safely.

At the risk of stirring up further controversy, the sake in Tamarind on Eurodam is Momokawa's entry level and is rather ordinary. I ordered a dry white wine instead. (It would be interesting to see if Koningsdam has a better list.) I will miss James Deering. He brought on a private stash which he shared in various sake tastings. And who knows, Volendam may have taken on some better sake since they've been in Asia all season. In any case can't wait to see Japan again and to cross the Pacific on the lovely Volendam.,,,,,,,,,,

Apologies again.

Please let us know i they permit you bring your sake to your cabin. I hope they do.

I'm sorry if I offended. Over 20 years of telling students that Wikipedia is not a research reference I may be a bit touchy. And I failed to mention that I am boarding in Yokohama, so these will be bottles that I can't get in the US. Of course I won't hold up the line, sail. Not my style. My explanation was in response to the Wiki quote. I'll just say it's Japanese wine and if they say they need to hold it that's fine. I'd just rather keep it with me. And if they say I need to pay corkage for each half bottle over 2, I will. Getting this sake in Japan is worth the price. Shrimp, There is nothing for you to apologize and I hope I did not offend you. That sas certainly. not my intention Seeing you are boarding in Japan could make a dsifference. I had no idea that is your embarkation port. Hope you have a terrific cruise. Travell safely. At the risk of stirring up further controversy, the sake in Tamarind on Eurodam is Momokawa's entry level and is rather ordinary. I ordered a dry white wine instead. (It would be interesting to see if Koningsdam has a better list.) I will miss James Deering. He brought on a private stash which he shared in various sake tastings. And who knows, Volendam may have taken on some better sake since they've been in Asia all season. In any case can't wait to see Japan again and to cross the Pacific on the lovely Volendam.,,,,,,,,,, Apologies again.
Please det us know if tthey permit you bring your sake to your cabin. I hope they do.

Please let us know i they permit you bring your sake to your cabin. I hope they do.

I certainly will. If they do, I will set aside one bottle to share with new friends:) And possibly some old ones -- you never know who you will run into on a dam ship!

• 3 weeks later...

Reporting in from Volendam. I had 6 small bottles of Sake (from 150ml to 300ml). 2 were in my carry on, the rest in a separate bag ready to surrender. I was directed to the booze table. I said I had rice wine as suggested. The staff member took a look at the size of the bottles and waved me on with all 6. I think he didn't want to deal with them LOL. As suggested earlier in the thread, your mileage may vary.