excursions in Cozumel, Mahogany Bay Honduras, Santo Tomas De Castilla, Costa May Mexi

Paulinda

Probably doing a Western Caribbean cruise in Feb 2018. Your thoughts on can't miss excursions.....probably not zip lines. What to do if we don't go on excursions?

We were on that cruise just a couple of months ago. Didn't even get off the ship.

Save some money. Have a quiet relaxing day on board on ship that isn't crowded.

It may shock some, but there is nothing that says you have to do excursions.

Cozumel, we did Tour Plaza with Antonio. 4 of us in our own private car. We went all around the island, Chocolate Factory, Casa Antigua Tequila, was fabulous and delicious, would recommend this.

Rotan, we did the semi-sub with island tour offered by the ship and it was great. Comfortable AC bus, great guide Sandra, beautiful island.

Guatemala, a dump, we did the Trolly offered by the ship. Island is dirty, noisy, hot and after one hour we were ready to get back to the ship. There is nothing there I would recommend and hope never to go back.

Guatemala: We had one of our best shore excursion there. We booked a boat tour on the rio dulce and visited the Ak'Tenamit school project. We loved this tour and it was waitlisted way before our cruise started.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used Victor Bodden Tours in Roatan a few years ago and had a delightful time. Much cheaper than the ships' tours and we got a more personalized experience. The Honduran people are some of the most welcoming we've met in the entire region. This is a wonderful port and was by far our favourite of those on the Western Caribbean / Central America itineraries

I'll second RetDon on Tours Plaza in Cozumel. We went to the TripAdvisor Cozumel page and looked for things we'd like to do. Then we hired a driver from Tours Plaza.

The chocolate factory is a small, family run operation and a nice, intimate tour. For lunch, try Casa Mission. My wife, who grew up in Southern California, would happily eat there again. There's a nice tequila tour next door in case you want to get in all your food groups.

We did Harley Davidson motorcycle rental with a guide (Andre, who accompanied us on his own motorcycle). It was the best tour we ever had in all our years of cruising (since 1995). If you drive a bike, it's called Eagle Rider (I think). There are extensive reviews on Trip Adviser on it.

Thank you all for your comments and thank you EatonDooliittle for your suggestion of visiting the Ports of Call message board. I did find some information on that message board and I just glanced thru it. Thanks again!

Guatemala: We had one of our best shore excursion there. We booked a boat tour on the rio dulce and visited the Ak'Tenamit school project. We loved this tour and it was waitlisted way before our cruise started.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Second this trip. We did it last month on the Oosterdam. Two years ago we did the Tikal trip. Expensive but worth every penny paid. It's on our list next time we get to Guatemala.

Dan