What is the current Canaletto menu?

ipoder

This Canaletto menu was recently posted by Kazu from her "Live From the Rotterdam" thread. It was the menu for their Canaletto dinner on April 21st. I hope she doesn't mind me posting it here for you. Thank you, Kazu!

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170421/2a7b75a5ac63dd82308d07860c4462e7.jpg

edited to add: Ooops, sorry Alberta Quilter! Didn't see you had already posted!

Thanks so much for the input. It seems the menu has been reduced to two sections, small plates and mains, yet the wording at the top remains the same! It looks like like pastas now appear in the mains section. How was your meal?

Thanks again,

Lora

Thanks so much for the input. It seems the menu has been reduced to two sections, small plates and mains, yet the wording at the top remains the same! It looks like like pastas now appear in the mains section. How was your meal?

Thanks again,

Lora

We were on Oosterdam last month and enjoyed Canaletto so much we plan on dining there twice on our next cruise.

We were on Oosterdam last month and enjoyed Canaletto so much we plan on dining there twice on our next cruise.

At the top of the menu it is recommend that each couple order 2 small plates to share and a large plate to share. Is there a limit as to how many small and large plates each person can order? Not that we want to "pig out". We just enjoy having our own small plate as an appetizer, plus a salad each and both of these are listed under small plates. In addition we each like to order our own entree. We each usually order something different so we can try new foods and share. Is this a problem or not allowed? Thanks for your help!

I've had sort of the same question on the small plates and being able to add a salad - thus two smalls for each of us. I'm a big fan of seafood soups (Ciopino, Bouillabaisse) but would like to add the salad. Then for the rest I don't eat pasta and my semi-vegan wife would not be into the entrees much so she would have the pasta and me the veal. My take on previous threads is they are not very much into refusing any requests and the menu statement is just a suggestion.

At the top of the menu it is recommend that each couple order 2 small plates to share and a large plate to share. Is there a limit as to how many small and large plates each person can order? Not that we want to "pig out". We just enjoy having our own small plate as an appetizer, plus a salad each and both of these are listed under small plates. In addition we each like to order our own entree. We each usually order something different so we can try new foods and share. Is this a problem or not allowed? Thanks for your help!

I can only comment on what I have observed but on my last Zuiderdam cruise in Dec, I observed a lady and her mother order two different sides each. They also ordered two "half-plates" each of entrees. For dessert, the pair requested one of each dessert on the menu. There was no problem with such an order in their attempt to try "almost" everything on the menu.

In all of my visits to the Canaletto, the staff has been very accommodating to my "half-portion" entree requests.

Order what you want and any amount of plates. Large or small plate, it doesn't matter. The waiter will adjust the amount if you order a large plate and tell them it's just for one. We do it all the time.

Dan

If one is a solo how can they order? O r are they told they cannot dine there seeing they are alone?

:p

I wish Holland would bring back the old one .

I so agree with you!!

I remember when you sat down they came by with a huge platter of appitizzers that you picked what you wanted as a starter. Then the real appitizers you picked from.

We loved when they had Oso Buco!!!! So good! The desserts were fun also!!!

Then a couple years later Oso Buco gone!!!!

They changed up the menu and no more platter of appitizers going around!

Started the small plates and ordering one large plate to split! We have never had a problem with ordering!!! We always order a small plate for each of us, as well as a main course never a problem!

I notice they no longer have this wonderful whole sea bass dish which I got last time on The Eurodam this past Sept. While doing The Med. was a small bass dredged in Lemon which was wonderful.

Will be on The Maasdam for a South American cruise so will see!

Denise:)

If one is a solo how can they order? O r are they told they cannot dine there seeing they are alone?

Dear Sail,

Order whatever you wish from whatever part of the menu you want to do so. Consume what you wish to do so from the dishes served to you. If there is more food offered than you can consume, as I have found it to be on more than one occasion, feel no guilt for saying: "I'm full". (And, it has taken me much time to reach that feeling of not being guilty by wasting food.) It is not the fault of the guest that the provider of one's meal is offering an unreasonable amount of food to be consumed.

I remember when you sat down they came by with a huge platter of appitizzers that you picked what you wanted as a starter. Then the real appitizers you picked from.

Have a look at lunchtime in the Lido! We've seen and enjoyed what used to be the Canaletto antipasto plate, on the buffet in the Lido, at lunch. Not a daily offering, it seems, but always worth looking for!

Have a look at lunchtime in the Lido! We've seen and enjoyed what used to be the Canaletto antipasto plate, on the buffet in the Lido, at lunch. Not a daily offering, it seems, but always worth looking for!

Good to know! ;)

We only did Canaletto twice and it was with the old menu.

The first time was on the Amsterdam -- everything was excellent.

We enjoyed it so much we tried it again on the Maasdam. Our waiter could care less and we rarely saw him. The assistant had to take care of us. We had to ask for the antipasto plate and the waiter acted like it was too hard for him.

When the entrees arrives, I cut into my veal and water squirted out -- it was still frozen and only half cooked. I forget what DH ordered but I do remember he said it was just okay.

When the new menu came out -- we looked at it and did not like the idea that we had to share the big plate. We inquired about having 2 different entrees -- maybe half plates -- nope!!

We only did Canaletto twice and it was with the old menu.

The first time was on the Amsterdam -- everything was excellent.

We enjoyed it so much we tried it again on the Maasdam. Our waiter could care less and we rarely saw him. The assistant had to take care of us. We had to ask for the antipasto plate and the waiter acted like it was too hard for him.

When the entrees arrives, I cut into my veal and water squirted out -- it was still frozen and only half cooked. I forget what DH ordered but I do remember he said it was just okay.

When the new menu came out -- we looked at it and did not like the idea that we had to share the big plate. We inquired about having 2 different entrees -- maybe half plates -- nope!!

KK,

That's awful☹️!!! I have a voice and I would not of tolerated it!

Wow how sad. This is not good

Service! Savor the Journey!!!?

LOL!

Thanks KK!

Thank you VennDiagram🤗

First of all I ment antipasto plate I said appitizer plate😒. I will definitely check that out! I would enjoy that with some good crusty bread and a glass of vino!

Dear Sail,

Order whatever you wish from whatever part of the menu you want to do so. Consume what you wish to do so from the dishes served to you. If there is more food offered than you can consume, as I have found it to be on more than one occasion, feel no guilt for saying: "I'm full". (And, it has taken me much time to reach that feeling of not being guilty by wasting food.) It is not the fault of the guest that the provider of one's meal is offering an unreasonable amount of food to be consumed.

I would feel awful for a lot of waste but also to have a ridiculous platter of food placed in front of me. How e mbarrassing for a solo woman to have huge quantities of food served to them and have to look at a huge plate of food on their table. . Say goodby to all appetite

They lilkely could do well to rethink this ' 'share concept'.

Good to know! ;)

Once we discovered it, we kept going back :)

Thank you VennDiagram🤗

First of all I ment antipasto plate I said appitizer plate😒. I will definitely check that out! I would enjoy that with some good crusty bread and a glass of vino!

I tip my hat to anyone who can drink at lunch :D

Perhaps the options about portions depends on the chef, or waitstaff, or whatever. but I have not had any problem getting my own dishes with size variations on request with the "new" menu. I just ask, regardless of who I am or am not sitting with. Wether or not I am alone or with others, due to my eating limitations (quantity as well as content) I find that either 2 small plates just for me OR only one entree (ask for a smaller portion) are plenty for me.

I so agree with you!!

We loved when they had Oso Buco!!!! So good! The desserts were fun also!!!

Then a couple years later Oso Buco gone!!!!

Started the small plates and ordering one large plate to split! We have never had a problem with ordering!!! We always order a small plate for each of us, as well as a main course never a problem!

I notice they no longer have this wonderful whole sea bass dish which I got last time on The Eurodam this past Sept. While doing The Med. was a small bass dredged in Lemon which was wonderful.

Will be on The Maasdam for a South American cruise so will see!

Also every chief cooks different ...

I would feel awful for a lot of waste but also to have a ridiculous platter of food placed in front of me. How e mbarrassing for a solo woman to have huge quantities of food served to them and have to look at a huge plate of food on their table. . Say goodby to all appetite

They lilkely could do well to rethink this ' 'share concept'.

DW and I have ordered the "large plates" individually for items we wanted. The waiters have said on numerous times that it is "No problem. I'll have the cook adjust the amount.". Not sure why they push this small and large plate share process. But they have been very flexible.

We usually do Canaletto a couple of times every cruise. Nice quiet, no rush dinner.

Dan