HAL Elite Bev Package(up to $15 p/drink) & increase Sig Bev Pkg $ if bought Onboard

boze9999

Passengers onboard Holland America cruise ships will now be able to enjoy premium drinks at a discount with the line's new Elite Beverage Package.

The drink package features any premium spirits, cocktails, wines, beers, coffees, nonalcoholic beverages, bottled water and sodas, up to a value of $15 each. On Koningsdam, this also includes the Coca-Cola Freestyle machines, which offer more than 100 flavors. The price for the Elite Beverage Package is $54.95 per person, per day.

Holland America's current Signature Beverage Package costs $44.95 per person, per day if the package is purchased online before the cruise begins (otherwise, it's $49.95). The Signature Beverage Package includes standard selections of wine, beer, spirits, sodas, coffees and cocktails, up to a value of $8 each.

In addition to HAL's Elite and Signature drink packages, the line also offers the Cellar Master Package, consisting of a choice of five wine bottles, a standard and a premium wine tasting, one Pinnacle Grill dinner, a wine accessory gift set and a Holland America Line commemorative bottle of wine, starting at $252 per person; the Quench Beverage Package, which features unlimited nonalcoholic beverages including any juices, bottled water, nonalcoholic cocktails, nonalcoholic beers and specialty coffees for $17.95 per person, per day; the Coca-Cola Package, which includes unlimited fountain sodas for $8 per person, per day; and a Water Package with a dozen 1-liter bottles for $32.

Beverage packages must typically be purchased for the duration of the cruise and for all occupants of a stateroom. A 15 percent service charge is automatically added to all beverage purchases.

That every one in the cabin must also buy the package, it gets pretty expensive when you think at even two people for a seven day cruise that's a lot of money, unless you drink a lot.

Allan

So, it is approximately $385 per 7 day cruise. If I have two premium drinks a day, that is $200 right there. That is not a lot of drinks. I think it may be worth it. I do not have to buy it for my husband. We have a letter from his doctor that he cannot drink, so they allow me to just get it just for me.

That every one in the cabin must also buy the package, it gets pretty expensive when you think at even two people for a seven day cruise that's a lot of money, unless you drink a lot.

Allan

Also don't understand why there is a requirement for all cabin occupants (of drinking age) to purchase the package, beyond greed. On Celebrity they do not require this, their packages are sold per person. :confused:

Also don't understand why there is a requirement for all cabin occupants (of drinking age) to purchase the package, beyond greed. On Celebrity they do not require this, their packages are sold per person. :confused:

Because what's to stop a couple from buying one package and ordering drinks for two?

Because what's to stop a couple from buying one package and ordering drinks for two?

You are allowed to buy 1 drink at a time. But of course, this doesn't stop sharing. However, taking your thought further, what's to stop a couple from sharing with another couple in another cabin?

I do like to believe that most people still have scruples. :rolleyes: Seems to work well enough for Celebrity to continue the program per person.

The regular (non-elite) beverage package works well for us. We have found the break-even point is 6-1/2 drinks, based on typical $7.95 cocktail prices plus 15% service charge. After the 6 or 7 drinks, you are drinking free. Plus we can sample anything we want and if we don't like it, toss it and get another. The only shortcoming is the selection of wines under that magic $8 limit. Even though you have the package, HAL still posts your drinks on your daily folio, that you can see online, while onboard. The charges are added, then immediately credited back. We have used that at the end of the cruise to justify purchasing the package. Every time, we have come out ahead.

It is annoying that a non-drinking partner in the same cabin cannot opt out of purchasing the package, unless you show a doc's note. But some people always find a way to scam the system. It's tough for the bartenders and waiters to make sure you are not sharing your drinks with others, but that is the reason for the mandatory purchase requirement for 21 and up guests.

One thing I do have a problem with is the $5 per day surcharge that HAL has added this year to ONLY the regular package, if you purchase it onboard instead of online before sailing. It appears that HAL doesn't want you to use your HAL provided OBC (non-refundable) to purchase the package. They would rather you use it for shore excursions, Spa services, specialty dining, etc, where the markup is much higher. No other item that you can purchase online has a surcharge if purchased onboard, just the regular beverage package. Even the elite package is the same price online and onboard. HAL's ship coordinator could not (or would not) give me a reason for the $5 surcharge.

Edited by TAD2005

Basically, HAL raised the price of the beverage card for those who chose to purchase on board. It's nice to have the price remain the same for those who know they benefit from the card and wish to purchase it ahead of time. For those with onboard credit, you can use OBC for gratuities, and a lot of other on board financials vs Signature Beverage Cards.