Beverage package - up to $8 NOT $9

Linaeve

Just to add a little perspective to the "value" of NCL drinks, this $12.25/glass wine on the Rotterdam drink list costs $6.00/BOTTLE! at a discount liquor store:

http://www.totalwine.com/wine/red-wine/merlot/columbia-crest-grand-estate-merlot/p/1122750

780e5d2db182588e86b9a4c44bb420e3.jpg

That is a 10x markup (assuming 5 glasses/bottle). As a comparison, I remember checking a wine by the glass on Windstar Legend and it was a 4x markup, which I felt was reasonable at the time, given we were way off in the southern caribbean.

Edited by Ragnar Danneskjold

Hi everyone!

The news straight from Holland America today is that the Signature Beverage Package includes drinks up to $8 each. The brand-new Elite beverage package includes premium drinks of up to $15 for $54.95 per person, per day.

Check out our news story: Holland America Line Introduces New Elite Beverage Package

Happy Sailing!

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

And NCL is one, (if not the BEST) drink packages at sea, with alcoholic drinks up to $15!!! ;p

Sorry, but i do not think so. Softdrinks are just soda... No coffee, bottled water....

you do not get much for 15 $ on NCL.

Typical Holland America, we are on the Eurodam now and the price is $9 and below for the SBP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know. I heard from someone who is on with you. I've even seen a picture of the beverage package flyer. The question is: Who am I going to believe? A CruiseCritic moderator, or my own lying eyes. :D

Typical Holland America, we are on the Eurodam now and the price is $9 and below for the SBP

It's so frustrating! Take care of my ship by the way! ;p I'll be hopping on the Eurodam on Saturday.

Because I'm paranoid and will want to make sure, was it a bartender that told you it was $9 and less? Have you been checking your account to make sure it's been correct?

The other thing that doesn't agree with the beverage package flyer is that Quench (QBP?) does not say that everyone has to buy it. Only the alcohol packages have that restriction. It was that way when we were on the Eurodam in December. If you bought the SBP or EBP, all adults had to buy it. No so with Quench. (In doing Live Froms, I research all this critical information. ;) )

It's so frustrating! Take care of my ship by the way! ;p I'll be hopping on the Eurodam on Saturday.

Because I'm paranoid and will want to make sure, was it a bartender that told you it was $9 and less? Have you been checking your account to make sure it's been correct?

We bought the package!

You see a charge and a credit for every purchase.

We were on the Koningsdam April 2 to April 15 and the SBP package was up to $9. I do not know if it is the same for all ships, but they told us that the prices for drinks are going up and they have gone up to $9 to accommodate the price increase.

Andrea

Have the drink menus returned to the bars? Had heard a few months ago the were gone.

There's a core menu that's just the basics: liquors, beers, wines, etc. Then, each bar has a page or two of bar-specific specialty cocktails.

It was that way on the Eurodam in December. The exception was the Pinnacle Bar which still had the old "everything" list. A knowledgeable, and trustworthy bartender told us that you could still get everything - as long as the bartenders knew how to make it. I'm sure that the Pinnacle Bar has its own "craft cocktail" list by now.

The "logic" (and I use the term loosely) is that guests want a different experience at each venue. Being a curmudgeon, I want the scenery, ambience and entertainment to change - but I want to have all my choices available everywhere.

I imagine a dystopian future, where underground bands of drinkers are passing around secret "heritage cocktail" lists, trying to keep hope alive. Brave bartenders will mix up a Wang Wang, knowing that being discovered could end their careers.

And possibly their very lives.

There's a core menu that's just the basics: liquors, beers, wines, etc. Then, each bar has a page or two of bar-specific specialty cocktails.

It was that way on the Eurodam in December. The exception was the Pinnacle Bar which still had the old "everything" list. A knowledgeable, and trustworthy bartender told us that you could still get everything - as long as the bartenders knew how to make it. I'm sure that the Pinnacle Bar has its own "craft cocktail" list by now.

The "logic" (and I use the term loosely) is that guests want a different experience at each venue. Being a curmudgeon, I want the scenery, ambience and entertainment to change - but I want to have all my choices available everywhere.

I imagine a dystopian future, where underground bands of drinkers are passing around secret "heritage cocktail" lists, trying to keep hope alive. Brave bartenders will mix up a Wang Wang, knowing that being discovered could end their careers.

(bold is mine) That's what HAL needs--a speakeasy! The password will be "POA sent me." They could even have a 1920s dress code, but check your machine guns at the door.

Could it be possible that everyone here is a little bit right.....that HAL is raising drink prices to $8.95. That the signature beverage package is cheaper in advance than on the ship, that the regular package only covers up to $8.....Then once onboard everyone with the Explore 4 package finds nothing is available under $8 and pays the uncharge for the premium package.

Then once onboard everyone with the Explore 4 package finds nothing is available under $8 and pays the uncharge for the premium package.

For HAL's sake, let's hope not! Otherwise HAL is in store for some unhappy customers.

Could it be possible that everyone here is a little bit right.....that HAL is raising drink prices to $8.95. That the signature beverage package is cheaper in advance than on the ship, that the regular package only covers up to $8.....Then once onboard everyone with the Explore 4 package finds nothing is available under $8 and pays the uncharge for the premium package.

Pretty much No.

(bold is mine) That's what HAL needs--a speakeasy! The password will be "POA sent me." They could even have a 1920s dress code, but check your machine guns at the door.

I love you both, and this idea so much!!! lol I would be in!

$9 right now on the Nieuw Amsterdam according to the friends I just dropped off [emoji3]

Same on Eurodam I just got off in Seattle. Bar staff said it changed awhile back.

• 4 months later...
No, they would ask if you have a machine gun and give you one if you do not.

You can probably get a machine gun on the SBP. Recipe:

Ingredients

1.5 oz - Hendrick's Gin

0.25 oz - Simple Syrup

3 dashes - Orange Bitters

0.5 oz - St. Germain

0.25 oz - Lime Juice

Shake thoroughly over ice and strain into a martini glass.

Garnish with orange slice

The drink was created by a bartender named Maureen Kelly, which makes it even better.