Eurodam or Nieuw Amsterdam in Alaska? - Please check out these itinerary finalists.

EeyoreFan1967

Which itinerary?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. Which itinerary?

• Round Trip Seattle with Sitka on Eurodam
    • Round Trip Vancouver with Skagway on Nieuw Amsterdam

Thanks to all Cruise Critics who have helped me so far to identify my needs and wants in narrowing down the incredibly overwhelming number of choices in cruises to Alaska! I have already posted this question on the Alaska board and haven't gotten too many responses, and hoped some HAL experts might provide some different insight.

With tremendous help from CC, we have finally narrowed our choices down to these 2 HAL cruises that have some major differences. I list them below (in no particular order). I have highlighted the differences that I consider major.

There are 4 of us traveling, my husband and myself (early 50's) and our adult offspring (early 20's). We are booking one inside and one verandah, so that is how we arrived at the costs.

Choice #1

Holland America Eurodam RT Seattle May 26-June2, 2018

Approximate Cost $5,000

Saturday Seattle 4pm

Sunday At Sea

Monday Juneau 1pm-10pm

Tuesday Glacier Bay 7am-4pm

Wednesday Sitka 8am-5pm

Thursday Ketchikan 7am-1pm

Friday Victoria 6pm-11:30pm

Saturday Seattle 7am

Choice #2

Holland America Nieuw Amsterdam RT Vancouver May 26-June 2, 2018

Approximate Cost $6,100

Saturday Vancouver 4:30pm

Sunday At Sea (Sails Inside Passage)

Monday Tracy Arm Inlet 10a for small boat excursion. Would book if avail.

Monday Juneau 1pm-10pm

Tuesday Skagway 7am-9pm

Wednesday Glacier Bay 7am-4pm

Thursday Ketchikan 10am-6pm

Friday At Sea

Saturday Vancouver 7am

So basically, one is RT Seattle and does Sitka instead if Skagway, and adds Victoria for an evening at the end; the other is RT Vancouver and does Inside Passage, Skagway instead of Sitka, and has the option of the small boat Tracy Arm excursion. Option 2 is about $1100 more. Worth it? IDK which is the more important choice, the Sitka/Skagway or the Seattle/Vancouver.

Does the ship figure into decision at all? Has anyone sailed on both Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam or have insight on how each would play in Alaska?

I would love to hear what all you cruise critics would say about this choice.

Also, aside...the New York Times Crossword Puzzle, which I do every day, TODAY had a clue "Former capital of Alaska." The answer, of course, iss "Sitka." Is that a sign, Cruise Critics? Or would you recommend some therapy for me? Yes, this is where all this research has gotten me. Feel free to comment...or NOT... on that aspect of my question!clear.png?emoji-winktongue-1704

I would choose #2 if it's your first time to Alaska. The Seattle departures do not do the inside passage, which is more scenic than the outside. You have more time in Ketchikan, also. The stop in Victoria is for USA legal reasons (non-US flagged ships cannot carry passengers between US ports w/o a foreign stop), and while lovely, Victoria from only 6pm-11pm does not give you much time for anything. Plus, not much is open aboard ship in the evening because of the late stop, and it puts a damper on the last night of the cruise (at least it did for us). Sitka in option 1 is a nice port to visit, but I would save it for your NEXT visit to Alaska! We have only been on the Eurodam; it was ok, but we prefer the smaller ships. The NA is a sister ship to the Eurodam, so is similar.

Penny

I like Itinerary 2 better. The big attraction in Victoria is the gardens, and although it will be light fairly late, I'd rather see the gardens during the daytime. Plus we loved the train ride in Skagway. The two glacier-viewing days are good. I know Glacier Bay is the big deal, but we liked Tracy Arm, too.

Have you looked at travel arrangements to the ports? We found it easier to book to/from Seattle than Vancouver. When we went, we flew to Seattle and took the train to Vancouver. It meant staying in Seattle overnight, but that was OK for us because we wanted a few days in Seattle, but it did lengthen the trip.

Also be sure to check the thread that lists large groups. I wouldn't book any of the dates that show up on that list.

Thanks! Will look for that now. I didn't know there was such a thing!

I like Itinerary 2 better. The big attraction in Victoria is the gardens, and although it will be light fairly late, I'd rather see the gardens during the daytime. Plus we loved the train ride in Skagway. The two glacier-viewing days are good. I know Glacier Bay is the big deal, but we liked Tracy Arm, too.

Have you looked at travel arrangements to the ports? We found it easier to book to/from Seattle than Vancouver. When we went, we flew to Seattle and took the train to Vancouver. It meant staying in Seattle overnight, but that was OK for us because we wanted a few days in Seattle, but it did lengthen the trip.

It's too early to book anything yet but I've done some tooling around and it doesn't seem that different, price-wise from NY, tbh. We would consider adding a day in Seattle, though, if we do choose the Vancouver itinerary IF the airfare was really different.

I would choose #2 if it's your first time to Alaska. The Seattle departures do not do the inside passage, which is more scenic than the outside. You have more time in Ketchikan, also. The stop in Victoria is for USA legal reasons (non-US flagged ships cannot carry passengers between US ports w/o a foreign stop), and while lovely, Victoria from only 6pm-11pm does not give you much time for anything. Plus, not much is open aboard ship in the evening because of the late stop, and it puts a damper on the last night of the cruise (at least it did for us). Sitka in option 1 is a nice port to visit, but I would save it for your NEXT visit to Alaska! We have only been on the Eurodam; it was ok, but we prefer the smaller ships. The NA is a sister ship to the Eurodam, so is similar.

Penny

Thanks for your response. I'm very intrigued by Sitka and I think my hubby, especially, would love it. That is honestly the only reason we are considering #1...well, and price! But I know Skagway is important and would much rather do Vancouver/Inside Passage. But somehow, Sitka calls...like a siren.

Admitted bias as a BCer, but the Vancouver departure is our choice....as noted inside passage between Vancouver island and the mainland is glorious compared to going outside the island from Seattle. While Sitka may be calling you, especially with the kids there is a lot more to do in Skagway IMO. The train ride is a highlight for many. We have also hired a car for the day in Skagway and done our own trip up to Carcrosse. very pleasant to be in charge of where and when you stop. Don't forget your passport as you enter both BC and the Yukon in Canada as you cut corners of the state! Vancouver is worth a couple of days, and Vancouver island is a trip in itself. If you can ever manage a return! Whatever you do, it will be an amazing trip. Alaska is our default trip when we need a fix, and never disappoints. Every trip is different. Hint.. Ketchikan is our choice for purchasing all manner of momentos, while Skagway is the most authentic In our opinion. ENjoy your decision making!

We have sailed on both ships -- they Signature sisters. We like both of them.

We love Sitka.

But definitely check your airfare. I know from PA it costs a lot more to fly round trip to Vancouver.

Yes I have been researching airfare. It's too early to look at our specific dates, but I plugged in random RT dates February 3-10 for both destinations in Expedia (we are in NY so I chose "All NYC area airports") and came up with $292 RT to Vancouver and $323 RT to Seattle. And that Seattle fare had only 3 seats left at that price. All were non-stop flights. I think I can score even better if I find them when airline schedules are first released. Because we live in NY, we have so many choices! Anyway, I think that in general, the fares are going to be comparable enough to say it shouldn't be a factor in decision between 1 & 2.

You love Sitka enough to give up Skagway and Inside Passage?

We had to make the same choice. Our decision was based on going to Glacier Bay. If not we might have chosen another cruise line. Keep watching the cc forum for updates (reviews) on these trips in 2017.

Yes we have to do Glacier Bay. We arrived at HAL because I was looking for Glacier Bay AND Sitka and HAL is the only one I found who offered both on the same cruise. So I was leaning toward choice #1, but then started ruing missing Skagway and the Inside Passage and found option #2 that offered Skagway and Inside Passage, but not Sitka. So here I am, posting a poll to a bunch of strangers. Maybe i should just heed my NYT crossword puzzle message, which was clearly directed at me this morning. ;p

BTW, which did you choose?

Admitted bias as a BCer, but the Vancouver departure is our choice....as noted inside passage between Vancouver island and the mainland is glorious compared to going outside the island from Seattle. While Sitka may be calling you, especially with the kids there is a lot more to do in Skagway IMO. The train ride is a highlight for many. We have also hired a car for the day in Skagway and done our own trip up to Carcrosse. very pleasant to be in charge of where and when you stop. Don't forget your passport as you enter both BC and the Yukon in Canada as you cut corners of the state! Vancouver is worth a couple of days, and Vancouver island is a trip in itself. If you can ever manage a return! Whatever you do, it will be an amazing trip. Alaska is our default trip when we need a fix, and never disappoints. Every trip is different. Hint.. Ketchikan is our choice for purchasing all manner of momentos, while Skagway is the most authentic In our opinion. ENjoy your decision making!

Thank you for these thoughts. I have been looking at photos and reports here on CC and oh, Vancouver looks sooo breathtaking!! And yes, if we choose this itinerary, we will absolutely spend a few days. Also really want to do the inside passage! Also thanks, yes, we have the passport angle all covered!

Hi, Sorry I didn't have a chance to post the link to that charter/large group thread...I was babysitting my 3 yr old grandson and he wants "grammy's" undivided attention. lol

So here it is. Not sure if 2018 is on there yet but keep a close eye on this because if there is a large (900+ people) group I.e. "Inspiration groups" your dining times in the MDR will most likely be impacted and drastically cut.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2430548&highlight=Charters+and+large+groups+HAL

You may have noticed in my signature line that we are sailing on Eurodam to Alaska in a couple of weeks.

For us the main reasons we chose this itinerary were

1) Sitka...we really wanted to see this port

2) Seattle...we're spending 3 1/2 days here because it's a bucket list item. lol

3) The minor factor was cost. From Boston our airfare was a lot less expensive rt Seattle compared to Vancouver and we were able to book a verandah for about $400 less pp compared to the other ships we were looking at.

4) We plan to visit Vancouver in a separate land vacation next Spring.

I've been watching pricing on Alaska cruises for about 15 months and I didn't end up booking this cruise until February of this year. That was when the pricing was the lowest. So keep that in mind.

If you book directly with HAL you can watch the pricing and contact them if the price drops before you make final payment. If you go with a TA I suppose you can do the same thing but then again if you're doing all the research why bother? (Can you tell I'm not a fan of TA's?)

Good luck with your planning...for me that's half the fun!

I'll post a review of Eurodam when we return.

Hi, Sorry I didn't have a chance to post the link to that charter/large group thread...I was babysitting my 3 yr old grandson and he wants "grammy's" undivided attention. lol

So here it is. Not sure if 2018 is on there yet but keep a close eye on this because if there is a large (900+ people) group I.e. "Inspiration groups" your dining times in the MDR will most likely be impacted and drastically cut.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2430548&highlight=Charters+and+large+groups+HAL

You may have noticed in my signature line that we are sailing on Eurodam to Alaska in a couple of weeks.

For us the main reasons we chose this itinerary were

1) Sitka...we really wanted to see this port

2) Seattle...we're spending 3 1/2 days here because it's a bucket list item. lol

3) The minor factor was cost. From Boston our airfare was a lot less expensive rt Seattle compared to Vancouver and we were able to book a verandah for about $400 less pp compared to the other ships we were looking at.

4) We plan to visit Vancouver in a separate land vacation next Spring.

I've been watching pricing on Alaska cruises for about 15 months and I didn't end up booking this cruise until February of this year. That was when the pricing was the lowest. So keep that in mind.

If you book directly with HAL you can watch the pricing and contact them if the price drops before you make final payment. If you go with a TA I suppose you can do the same thing but then again if you're doing all the research why bother? (Can you tell I'm not a fan of TA's?)

Good luck with your planning...for me that's half the fun!

I'll post a review of Eurodam when we return.

Hope you had a wonderful day with your grandson!

Thanks so much for the link. I will keep an eye on it!

DUH! I hadn't even noticed your signature...I haven't really noticed any signatures on here. I supposed I should work on one for myself.

Yeah we really want to see Sitka, too, but Vancouver is more of a bucket list city than Seattle. Such a dilemma.

I have been watching the prices too, not as long as you, but for a while, only I hadn't narrowed down my itinerary so I don't think I was watching the "right" prices. I am working with a TA but I think he will watch prices for me...I'm not going to book unless I know I can get a full refund before late February. I appreciate your advice!

Have a great cruise! I can't wait to read all about it!

My first cruise to Alaska went to both Sitka and Skagway. I fell in love with Skagway, and was bitterly disappointed by Sitka.

Skagway has the old style boardwalks, interesting buildings, and that great rail trip up to White Pass. I could still see the tramped grasses at Dead Horse Gulch. Reading the notes posted to the façade of the Arctic Brotherhood Lodge was fascinating. The National Park Office has the most interesting museum. The whole town is an interesting museum!

But Sitka, which I was expecting to be some Russian style town, was more like a real city. There was traffic, even street lights! St. Michael's Church (which is interesting) was set on a busy street corner. Lost its charm big time.

Now, there was a lot of interest in Sitka, but it certainly doesn't overshadow Skagway.

The cruise up the inside passage is smooth, scenic, and just a great time to sit outside and admire the view---while breathing in that clean air.

The catamaran excursion up Tracy Arm (I booked one Alaska cruise for the sole purpose of taking that excursion) is quiet, scenic, and gets you closer to the glacier than any big ship experience can. It's special.

Instead of agonizing over this, pick one cruise. Do the other one next time (and there will be a "next time").

My first cruise to Alaska went to both Sitka and Skagway. I fell in love with Skagway, and was bitterly disappointed by Sitka.

Skagway has the old style boardwalks, interesting buildings, and that great rail trip up to White Pass. I could still see the tramped grasses at Dead Horse Gulch. Reading the notes posted to the façade of the Arctic Brotherhood Lodge was fascinating. The National Park Office has the most interesting museum. The whole town is an interesting museum!

But Sitka, which I was expecting to be some Russian style town, was more like a real city. There was traffic, even street lights! St. Michael's Church (which is interesting) was set on a busy street corner. Lost its charm big time.

Now, there was a lot of interest in Sitka, but it certainly doesn't overshadow Skagway.

The cruise up the inside passage is smooth, scenic, and just a great time to sit outside and admire the view---while breathing in that clean air.

The catamaran excursion up Tracy Arm (I booked one Alaska cruise for the sole purpose of taking that excursion) is quiet, scenic, and gets you closer to the glacier than any big ship experience can. It's special.

Instead of agonizing over this, pick one cruise. Do the other one next time (and there will be a "next time").

That is great advice, thanks! I appreciate hearing from someone who has done both ports. Yes I keep telling myself I have to look at the cruise as a whole and not as only one port. If I look at all the ports together on both cruises, if I asked myself if I have to eliminate 1 thing, 1st would be the evening in Victoria, 2nd would be Seattle. If you asked me my priorities I'd say Glacier Bay...and then maybe Vancouver/Inside Passage, with maybe Sitka and Skagway tied. Overall, #2 has better overall flavor for me. Also, hubby has to see the $1100 value!

Don't know about the going back part. We have a loooong bucket list! :D

Ours was an easy decision. We're from BC so a car ride even though it's 9 - 10 hours, no hotels as we stay with relatives and they also dog sit for us. And they'll take us to Canada Place and pick us up again.

Thanks for your input! Our family is so small, we don't really have relatives anywhere.

It certainly is a tough decision but I voted for option 1 [in fact I took the same trip last year on the Westerdam] and here's why:

*Sitka is much less common than Skagway so you will have less options to see it if you decide to go back. It was a really interesting city [although the placement of the Russian church is, as Ruth mentioned, rather odd in the middle of an intersection]. The Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center were both wonderful. Also, Sitka felt more like a "real" city if you know what I mean. Not so touristy feeling; many local people going about their day.

*Seattle is a wonderful city to spend a few days in pre/post cruise. There is just so much to see there and it's very easy to get around. If you are into art, the Chihuly glass museum is fantastic.

*The price difference of $1,100 is nothing to sneeze at. Based on the airfare prices you found, you and your husband could take a separate long weekend trip to Vancouver for that money if you really want to see the city.

**FULL DISCLAIMER**: I have not been to Vancouver nor to Skagway so I can't fully compare against Seattle/Sitka. However, Glacier Bay is the main draw of this trip and both include that. Sitka is less visited so adds a little something extra to a standard Alaska trip [i.e. it won't necessarily be the "same ole Alaska cruise" that many of your family members or friends have taken]. The main attraction [at least IMO] for option #2 is the extra time in Ketchikan. That is a lovely town and I would have preferred more time there, however if you don't plan on a splurge excursion there you should be able to see a good amount in the downtown area on the short day.

I voted for #1 primarily based on price and Sitka. It's somewhere we have not been before, so that got it a few extra points in my consideration. As far as sailing the Inside Passage, I have heard a lot of folks talk about the scenery during that portion of the cruise--and yet I don't really notice that many passengers taking it all in from the outside decks. You'll still get some stunning scenery on the cruise from Seattle, especially as you approach Juneau. We did two RT cruises from Seattle before finally doing a one-way cruise from Whittier to Vancouver.

It certainly is a tough decision but I voted for option 1 [in fact I took the same trip last year on the Westerdam] and here's why:

*Sitka is much less common than Skagway so you will have less options to see it if you decide to go back. It was a really interesting city [although the placement of the Russian church is, as Ruth mentioned, rather odd in the middle of an intersection]. The Fortress of the Bear and the Raptor Center were both wonderful. Also, Sitka felt more like a "real" city if you know what I mean. Not so touristy feeling; many local people going about their day.

*Seattle is a wonderful city to spend a few days in pre/post cruise. There is just so much to see there and it's very easy to get around. If you are into art, the Chihuly glass museum is fantastic.

*The price difference of $1,100 is nothing to sneeze at. Based on the airfare prices you found, you and your husband could take a separate long weekend trip to Vancouver for that money if you really want to see the city.

**FULL DISCLAIMER**: I have not been to Vancouver nor to Skagway so I can't fully compare against Seattle/Sitka. However, Glacier Bay is the main draw of this trip and both include that. Sitka is less visited so adds a little something extra to a standard Alaska trip [i.e. it won't necessarily be the "same ole Alaska cruise" that many of your family members or friends have taken]. The main attraction [at least IMO] for option #2 is the extra time in Ketchikan. That is a lovely town and I would have preferred more time there, however if you don't plan on a splurge excursion there you should be able to see a good amount in the downtown area on the short day.

It sounds like you really enjoyed your cruise and I'm happy you'd recommend it! I have thought about that point...how tough it will be to find another opportunity for Sitka, unless routes are really changed. Wow I really didn't realize that it was a "regular city." I pictured a church with a gold dome and a wooden fort in the forest and maybe a moose on a dirt road, lol! (Sorry, I'm a bit NYC-centered.)

I voted for #1 primarily based on price and Sitka. It's somewhere we have not been before, so that got it a few extra points in my consideration. As far as sailing the Inside Passage, I have heard a lot of folks talk about the scenery during that portion of the cruise--and yet I don't really notice that many passengers taking it all in from the outside decks. You'll still get some stunning scenery on the cruise from Seattle, especially as you approach Juneau. We did two RT cruises from Seattle before finally doing a one-way cruise from Whittier to Vancouver.

Thanks for voting! It's true, with all the itineraries out there, so few include Sitka. So you could give or take Skagway? Or you don't care for it much? We tend to spend time enjoying the scenery and will book a balcony cabin for that purpose, so we will be one of the few families taking in all in from outside decks. I imagine if we ever go back it will be either for one of those longer cruises like a 9-14 day one that includes all the ports of interest OR a one-way with a land adventure tacked on at the top. But not this time. We don't have that kind of time this trip.

It sounds like you really enjoyed your cruise and I'm happy you'd recommend it! I have thought about that point...how tough it will be to find another opportunity for Sitka, unless routes are really changed. Wow I really didn't realize that it was a "regular city." I pictured a church with a gold dome and a wooden fort in the forest and maybe a moose on a dirt road, lol! (Sorry, I'm a bit NYC-centered.)

Yes I definitely enjoyed this trip. Alaska is absolutely stunning! If you want to see pics and a review of the trip here is a link to the review I posted on CC afterwards. It will give you a good overview of the scenery/ports including Seattle. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2404561

When I said "city" in reference to Sitka, it is certainly not a city in the same sense as NY [or Boston or Chicago or even Des Moines for that matter haha]. It very much feels like a small town but "regular" in the sense that there were normal people going about their day. No Diamonds International at all and very few of the $5 t-shirt shops you find in cruise ports. St. Michael's [the Russian church] has green domes rather than gold but there is the classic onion shape! There are lovely local-owned shops with crafts and the like as well as the "Alaska Pure Sea-salt" store with local made salts [these make great gifts and are reasonably priced. The blueberry-infused salt is quite special]. Sitka just seemed a place geared towards the "traveller" rather than just the "tourist" if you get the picture I'm trying to portray. HAL and Princess are the two main players in the Alaska market and Princess no longer calls at Sitka [our taxi driver told us it was because they refused to let the line build a bigger, more modern port facility but who really knows].

I am going in June this year on Eurodam. I too had a hard time making up my mind as to your option #1 or option #2. I wound up choosing 1. Couple of determining factors. Wanted Alaska for our anniversary, had to have Glacier Bay. DW wants Buchart Gardens. We both want to spend time in Seattle post cruise to see Chihuly glass gardens, museum of pop culture and Pike's Place. Some other determining factors included finding reasonable priced airfare and an acceptable hotel that was available on our dates. I would have liked to go to Skagway, but like other posters have stated, maybe there will be a next time.

I voted #2 for 2 reasons. 1, itinerary is better with the inside passage and #2 I like the Nieuw Amsterdam better than the Eurodam. Nothing wrong with the Eurodam I just prefer the decor of the Niew Amsterdam vs. Eurodam.