Wine in Checked Bags

Stella1250

Wine must be carried on, not checked. You will be sent to the wine table during the embarkation process, where they will add the corkage to your onboard account. You can have two bottles (1 per person) without a corkage fee if you drink them in your room. If you know you'll want to drink them all in the dining room, then make sure you pay the corkage and get stickers for all of your bottles. Any wine bought at a port stop will be charged corkage.

So, I can bring 4 bottles and pay the corkage for either 2 or all 4 to drink with dinner? That sounds reasonable as the wines on board are quite expensive. I think that will do it. Thank you.

Yes, that's exactly right. Enjoy your wine and your cruise!

On our last cruise we forgot that we had packed our wine in our suitcase and it was to late to retrieve them, (2 bottles). The luggage arrived at our cabin with the 2 bottles untouched inside the suitcase. We brought them to the dining room and payed the corkage fee when we drank them. No one said anything to us and I was not aware that the wine had to be in the carry ons. It is very heavy to carry on wine and a rolling suitcase.

On our last cruise we forgot ...
On another day or another ship you could have been called down to the "naughty room" to open your bag, and it could have been taken and held until cruise end.

On our last cruise there was no table set up to pay corkage, and we could have walked on with many bottles.

On another day or another ship you could have been called down to the "naughty room" to open your bag, and it could have been taken and held until cruise end.

On our last cruise there was no table set up to pay corkage, and we could have walked on with many bottles.

WHY is the table always there when I have wine and not there when I don't have wine to declare??? :p

On our last cruise we forgot that we had packed our wine in our suitcase and it was to late to retrieve them, (2 bottles). The luggage arrived at our cabin with the 2 bottles untouched inside the suitcase. We brought them to the dining room and payed the corkage fee when we drank them. No one said anything to us and I was not aware that the wine had to be in the carry ons. It is very heavy to carry on wine and a rolling suitcase.

You were lucky. I have read here where some people were called down to the naughty room (right beside the front desk) and the wine was removed from their suitcases. They got their wine back at the end of the cruise.

I don't remember what ship we were on but we had a problem that our concierges could not solve on embarkation day and we had to go to the front desk. The line for people waiting to go into the naughty room to open their suitcases was very long.

We were sailing with some non-wine-drinking friends who agreed to bring two bottles aboard for us. We told them to carry-on, but they were 'convinced' they would get through. Well they were x-rayed and had the long delay for bags. No worth it.

Dennis

It is very heavy to carry on wine and a rolling suitcase.

We have a rolling tote bag which we use to carry our wine onto the ship.

If you carry it in a regular tote bag use a bungee cord to attach it securely on top of your rolling suitcase.

PS It would be a nasty mess if a bottle of wine was broken in the handling of your checked luggage - for your stuff and any luggage stacked below yours :-(

So, I can bring 4 bottles and pay the corkage for either 2 or all 4 to drink with dinner? That sounds reasonable as the wines on board are quite expensive. I think that will do it. Thank you.

If you carry on your one bottle of wine, must you drink it in your room or can you carry it around the ship and into the lido or dining room?

Have often wondered...

If you carry on your one bottle of wine, must you drink it in your room or can you carry it around the ship and into the lido or dining room?

Have often wondered...

If you only carry on your 1 bottle -

In your room ... no corkage fee.

Anywhere else on the ship ... corkage fee.

Ok, the next question is about purchasing wine in Amsterdam's airport. In order to get it on the plane, we would have to put it in checked bags, then move it to carry on. I don't want to do that!

Has anyone purchased wine at the airport after their flight? We arrive at 6:00 AM, so I don't even know if anything is open.

ok, the next question is about purchasing wine in amsterdam's airport. In order to get it on the plane, we would have to put it in checked bags, then move it to carry on. I don't want to do that!

Has anyone purchased wine at the airport after their flight? We arrive at 6:00 am, so i don't even know if anything is open.

yes

Stella,

There are several of us who feel and do the same. I found a great bag to carry wine on board at Wine Enthusiast. Has partitions for six bottles, carry strap, and shoulder strap. I have a carry on bag with four rollers so it stands straight up. I extend the handle and set the bag on the carry on and use bungies to attach it to the handles. Works great. The wine bag costs about $70 but can be used many times.

http://www.wineenthusiast.com/6-bottle-waxed-canvas-weekend-wine-bag.asp

Ok, the next question is about purchasing wine in Amsterdam's airport. In order to get it on the plane, we would have to put it in checked bags, then move it to carry on. I don't want to do that!

Has anyone purchased wine at the airport after their flight? We arrive at 6:00 AM, so I don't even know if anything is open.

That is the point. You fly from home to the cruise port. Your wine must be well packed in your checked baggage. Usually it is not convenient to take it out and carry it on board. I usually leave it in my checked baggage and have never had a problem with the so called "naughty room". Personally, after I have paid $10K for a cruise and they want to hassle and disrespect me over $20 worth of wine that would be my last cruise on that cruise line.

Personally, after I have paid $10K for a cruise and they want to hassle and disrespect me over $20 worth of wine that would be my last cruise on that cruise line.

But aren't you disrespecting them by not following their rules?

But aren't you disrespecting them by not following their rules?

Perhaps. But when a billion dollar corporation keeps inventing new rules to make things more simple for them but more difficult for me, I feel that that they are disrespecting me.

Ok, I just bought a great wine carry bag on Amazon for $8.99. It carries 4 bottles and has almost perfect reviews. I plan on putting it in a checked bag, then quickly removing it at the airport for carry-on to the ship. I will probably use it quite often to bring wine to peoples homes. It protects the bottles and keeps them chilled.

Perhaps. But when a billion dollar corporation keeps inventing new rules to make things more simple for them but more difficult for me, I feel that that they are disrespecting me.

What is easier that just buying a bottle of wine onboard? Surely it ois affordable after spending $10K just to be on the ship. They are making things simpler for you! :D

Have often wondered...

You can stop by any bar and ask for 2 wine glasses, pour your wine in your cabin and carry the glasses anywhere on board - even the dining room. ;)

You can stop by any bar and ask for 2 wine glasses, pour your wine in your cabin and carry the glasses anywhere on board - even the dining room. ;)

WOW !!! And people accuse the cruise lines of "nickel & diming" :o