First time cruiser on Music Cruise

wendie50

We are first time cruisers and have just book a sixthman cruise on the Norwegion Pearl. The cruise is called Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea for departure of Feb 17, 2015. Was very expensive but from what I have researched it is money well spent. Any thoughts or anyone with experience with sixthman's music themed cruises?

Edited by wendie50

Not with Sixthman (my friends have been on Kid Rock's cruise which Sixthman produces) and they love it...I do full charter Jazz cruises and IMHO well worth the extra cost

Sixthman & NCL have alot of experience producing these music charter theme cruises...just be prepared it is very different from a :eek:regular:eek: cruise...IMHO alot more fun

IMHO that is a good thing because you have no preconceived expectations...the :eek:challenge:eek: will be if your 2nd cruise is not a music theme charter, you will save $$$$ but be very disappointed

You are in for a great time...emjoy

Awesome sounds like a blast love me some Reggae too. My hubby is a big Joe Bonamassa fan hence this cruise I just like to dance. Being first time cruisers we are extremly excited! As always being a woman I am concerned about wardrobe, but I understand it very casual with your choice on Captains night.;) Have you ever Sailed on one of the Music cruises before?

Wendie

Expect 2000+ like minded music fans like yourself...expect no small kids...expect being immersed in live music performances and interaction with your favorite artists...expect not getting alot of rest...expect alot of fun and dancing...expect a very comfortable informal feeling of friendship with your fellow cruisers...expect a packed pool deck

Expect a great and memorable cruise vacation that is nothing like a regular cruise that you read about on threads on this board :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I am a regular on the Legendary Rhythm and Blues cruise charter. It is privately run, so not part of sixthman.

You will find that it is very casual, wear what you want.

There may be a theme night or two for dressing up. Could be anything like Mardi Gras night or Pirate night. You will find out in advance.

I know the sixthman Caymo cruises are far more structured that the LRBC, where there are tickets given for some venues to control the number of people. I don't know how the Joe Bonamassa cruise will work in that regard. on LRBC folks just drift in and out of venues, it all works out.

There will be a few folks on board who are regular LRBC cruisers. They may help set the tone. A good party vibe!

LRBC is very laid back, lots of music, jam sessions until the wee hours of the morning. No dress code (the ask that clothes are worn in the dining rooms, shoes are a nice to have).

Since Keeping the blues alive is a new, short cruise, I guess you will see how it goes :)

I saw Joe Bonamassa recently, he put on a great show. A very talented guy. John Hiatt is hilarious on stage. I have seen him a few times alone, and with Lyle Lovett. Ana Popovic was on the last LRBC and brought her big band. Great stuff!

If anyone is up for a 7 day blues charter next January, check out the LRBC website for pre-booking info. There are a few folks who are doing the January LRBC and the Keeping the Blues alive cruise in February. It becomes habit forming ;)

We have been on the Simple Man Cruise and had a blast!! The rock Boat and Sail across the Sun are also done by Sixthman and I have heard nothing but praise!

the cruises are a bit more expensive, but all of the entertainment is aimed at your interest and your fellow music lovers :cool:

I went on Sixthman's "VH1 Best Cruise Ever" in 2011, and am also booked for their Florida Georgia Line cruise in November. I also have friends that go on The Rock Boat every single year.

I've never been on a "normal" cruise, and frankly have no desire to after going on a Sixthman cruise. It was seriously the best vacation I've ever been on. There was music going on in multiple locations on the ship from about noon until 2am, and fun activities spread throughout the day - bingo hosted by one of the bands, a flip cup tournament where my team got to go up against one of the bands, karaoke, trivia, and so much more. The theme nights are great! It was fun dressing up, dressing down, and dressing weird (Royal Wedding night, pajama night, and music video night, respectively).

It was also great that you automatically have something in common with pretty much everybody on board - a love of music. Because of that, I ended up meeting people that are still good friends to this day. :)

We are also cruising on the KBA aboard the Pearl in February! We can't wait! We love Joe Bonamassa and we can't wait to see Joanne Shaw Taylor again. She's great!

They have already announced some theme nights. Tuesday is Mardi Gras, Wednesday is Vintage concert t-shirts, Thursday is Blues Brothers (my personal favorite) and Friday is peoples choice.

As a first time cruiser, I would love to have a comprehensive article or review for the Pearl, so I know what to expect with extra fees and well, just everything! I must know everything..... I researched Disney for MONTHS before we vacationed there.

So excited!!!

This is the maiden cruise for KBA but not sixthman. Sixthman is where you wanna research as they are the charter company for the cruise. I have reasearched the Norwegion Pearl as much as possible and have found more good than bad reviews. You should check these FB sites, Sixthman as they have many reviews of their cruises, Blues Alive Sea Cruisers and Keeping the Blues Alive at Sea. I love the idea of theme nights gonna be one great big party! Obivously not your ordinary cruise with the casualness of it all. The only time you need to wear long pants is if you eat in a speaciality resturant which of course there is a fee. You need to read every tab on the KBW website for more details. Where do you hail from?:)

North Carolina represented here! KBW website? Please elaborate! :)

I just don't like to be surprised by anything (espescially hidden charges) while I'm trying to enjoy my vacation! That's why I dig for great info. Cruise Critic has a great overview of the ship, but I need specifics! I'm a little OCD with details.....

http://www.bluesaliveatsea.com/.

This is the link I was speaking of however you most likely already saw it. But it has a lot of info if you click one each tab.

My first cruise as well, so I have no expectations only to party and I have the feeling it will be much like being on Beal St. in Memphis, but on much nicer scale.

Wendie

Jasper, Ga

;)

I have read some of the same but eqqual amounts saying the food was good. Having said that I am on the fence with doing the same. My friends that were are crusing with say food is great but they have never crusied this ship and i realy wanted to eat at Cagney's. Gonna wait and get some from feed back from sixthman. Also gonna ask on the FB pages for KBA sea cruises as well as sixthamn FB page.

Will keep you in the loop!:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

We have cruised Disney, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Norwegian (non Sixthman) and last year Sail Across the Sun by Sixthman. They run a first class operation and we never had so much fun in our life. Needless to say we are booked again for this year.

• 2 months later...

There are 6 of us going on the Sixthman Charter, Sandy Beaches Cruise with Delbert McClinton & Friends in January, 2015. We have all cruised before, but this will be our first charter. Hoping it will be the blast we have heard they are.:confused: