Experience in renting mobie wifi hotspot for use in Europe

jrpjk

Going on a Grand Mediterranean Cruise and thinking about renting a mobile wifi pocket device that I can connect my iphone and such to use in ports in Europe.

From Tep wireless or another such company. Wondering if anyone has done this in the past and if so did you have a good experience with it and also did it work on board the ship once you left port? We are on Norwegian Cruise line.

I quickly looked at Tep website and it have me $150 cost for 2 weeks. This is crazy. I suspect that their offer is limited to some land based partners. Here is a quote "Is there coverage on a cruise / out at sea (maritime coverage)?While Tep offers excellent coverage while on land, maritime coverage will depend on the distance out at sea and the cruise location – the closer to land, the more likely there will be coverage. The best course of action would be to ask the cruise operator if there is mobile data coverage (3G) on the cruise. In any case, there will surely be coverage while docked."

I usually buy local SIM. Depending where you start try getting a plan with better roaming deal as buying in every port is just not practical. If starting in Spain look at Orange SIM with Go Europe option (1€ for 100mb in any EU country)