Portovenere to Cinque Terre

hkr1216

We will be docking in Portovenere in late September. Our plan is to take the ferry to Vernazza and work our way back by train and foot. Is there frequently a stoppage of ferries due to wind conditions, or is that rare for that time of year? i realize we need to take the train to La Spezia to get back to Portovenere, but am confused as to how to get to the bus station in La Spezia from the train station. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Holly

• 2 weeks later...

We were berthed in La Spezia ealier this year and took the bus to Portovenere and back. We caught the bus at Piazza Chiodo which is down near the sea front, unfortunately I don't think the Portovenere bus goes any where near the railway station. I suggest you google the bus timetable and get a map of La Spezia, either on line or from the tourist office. We bought our tickets from the bus company office in the corner of Piazza Chiodo.

The ferry is sensitive to stoppage at any time due to the tides/waves/winds. That is why you must also be fully prepared with that Plan B of the train. Be familiar with them before you disembark - if you don't need them, great. But, if you end up having to switch to the train along with the thousand others from your ship who are doing the same thing, you may be ahead of the herd when you reach the train station.

• 2 weeks later...

There is no bus terminal in La Spezia. The busses just stop at their designated stops. We took a bus from Portovenere and the stop was a few blocks from the main rail station (about 6 minutes walk).

Google maps does a good job of showing you where the bus stops are so research this in advance. The newspaper/magazine/tobacco shops sell bus tickets (no payment on board). I recall they did at the main station (on platform closest to main exit/entrance), and also at the tourist info office in Portovenere FWIW.