Passenger No Show

There are no single cabins available on the cruise I want to go on. The TA advise me to book for 2 people, with 1 not showing up on the day.

Has anyone done this on Thomson? Or know if they have a specific policy against it?

I don't want to find myself being refused boarding.

I don't like that advice, if it was OK by Thomson everyone will be doing it. Also, what happens if they just say the missing person will have to claim on their travel insurance for their lost cruise.

Thomson have a set number of cabins designated as single occupancy and most of them are in fact doubles. You pay a reasonable 30-40% supplement over the price one of a couple would pay for occupying a similar cabin. In all my Thomson cruises I have never met anyone travelling solo who paid less than the full 2 person cost for occupying a designated 2 person cabin.

On my other main cruise line you can book almost any cabin for single occupancy at supplements ranging up to 70% but they have a hidden maximum number of cabins they will sell to solo cruisers.

I can't see any problem doing that. You'll be paying for 2 people as the "second person" will lose their money. Thomson may suggest that he/she claim on their insurance, but they'll have no way of knowing or even caring if they do

I can't see any problem doing that. You'll be paying for 2 people as the "second person" will lose their money. Thomson may suggest that he/she claim on their insurance, but they'll have no way of knowing or even caring if they do
!

I agree. I've heard of this before with travel agents suggesting that a single traveller books for two with a 'no show' on departure.

There is nothin wrong with that at all as the cruise line does not lose on it fare wise.

I know it happens on P&O, but they don't advocate it because the on board spend income is lower than 2 people sharing the cabin.

So yes it is legal and there won't be a policy against it.

As Thomson may sell you a double cabin for single occupancy at the full rate for 2 people why bother being deceptive by using the no show idea?

Apparently some cruise lines are reluctant to sell double cabins to singles because of the likely reduction in on board spend, which, if the idea was popular, could be significant.

Maybe Thomson do not regard that as a problem, but it is not something they would encourage.

I was recently in the very unfortunate position of my cabin buddy having to do a "No Show" due to her mother dying days before. Thomson were fine about it and I had the same pre-booked cabin next door to my other friends. My friend is now in the process of claiming the cost of the cruise through her insurance company. Thomson have sent an e-Mail confirming she did not travel.

Edited by Jakanne1

There are no single cabins available on the cruise I want to go on. The TA advise me to book for 2 people, with 1 not showing up on the day.

Has anyone done this on Thomson? Or know if they have a specific policy against it?

I don't want to find myself being refused boarding.

A friend of ours was in the same position . She was told by a senior staff member on a Thomson ship if all single cabins are sold and Thomson are charging almost double for sole occupancy in a twin cabin just book for two people and only one show up at the airport on the day. She has done this and had no problems with it. It's just a no show and Thomson aren't losing anything by it. It happens lots of times on all airlines. She just did her API and check-in at the airport. Again no problem and she got a better seat on the plane and a better cabin than if she had booked a single cabin. I would say go for it.

Exactly. Thomson won't care as long as they have their money. We all know how bad their after care customer service is so once you are off the ship you are forgotten.

I doubt if they will lose much in the way of on board spend as a solo passenger may be more likely to book Thomson excursions but two people travelling together may just simply go off and do their own thing.

On a recent cruise another friend of ours said he was really disappointed as the social hostess had on;y one event for solo passengers on a two week cruise. First time he had experienced this after several cruises with Thomson over many years.

Exactly. Thomson won't care as long as they have their money. We all know how bad their after care customer service is so once you are off the ship you are forgotten.

I doubt if they will lose much in the way of on board spend as a solo passenger may be more likely to book Thomson excursions but two people travelling together may just simply go off and do their own thing.

On a recent cruise another friend of ours said he was really disappointed as the social hostess had on;y one event for solo passengers on a two week cruise. First time he had experienced this after several cruises with Thomson over many years.

I wonder what ship that was. On discovery last july we had lots of solo events.

I wonder what ship that was. On discovery last july we had lots of solo events.

That was on the Celebration about three months ago Dave. He said the atmosphere on board was not what he had come to expect from previous Thomson cruises. No singing waiters, no Baked Alaska Parade and one head waiter who never smiled for the whole two weeks. He paid almost £1800 for his cruise and said it was the least enjoyable of the many cruises he has had with Thomson.